X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K400 or Milwaukee Electric Snake

My dad wants a drain cleaner and he's considering either a K400 or a Milwaukee electric snake. Which one would do the best job for a 2 story house, plus we have a house in the country. The house in the country (where I live) has a sink that always drains slowly. If I'm doing dishes the sink fills up with water and it takes several minutes to go down. When it goes down it makes a real loud gurgling sound. Anyway my mom and I are thinking of getting my dad the drain cleaner for his birthday next month and what do you think would be the best one to get out of the two above? Also, the house where I live has a septic tank that the previous owner connected to the city drain line when the city ran drain lines. Have you ever heard of this and what complications could this cause?

Re: K400 or Milwaukee Electric Snake

In my opinion I would say there for two diffrnet uses, for the most part,

I have basically both of them, the ridgid I have is the model before the K400,

If your having problems in the small drain pipes of the sinks or tub I would go with the hand held cleaner,
    but I would look into the ridgid version with the power feed, it gets heavy holding the drill and trying to feed the cable in and out, and many times one is in odd positions and I would definitely consider the K 39AF.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K-39AF/EN/index.htm
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=k-39af RIdgid has a wider selection of cables and (I think easier to get).

the other machine (K400) is more for soft blockages (NOT FOR ROOTS), in plumbing under 3" but if you have problems in the yard by roots this is not the machine for you, the cable is not heavy enough to handle the problems and can flip over and knot it self in larger pipes if you get in to tough stuff like roots,

and you do not want to run a bunch of cable down into a septic tank as the cable can twist on it self and not be removable so you will need to kinda keep track of the amount of cable out when working on that type of line.

it is kinda like trying to ask if you need a pickup truck, or a 2 ton flat bed truck, and of course the next step would be a semi truck,

I started out with the hand held unit, and for what it was designed for it works well, as does the other unit, I my self have probably use the hand held unit and the K750 ( much larger machine) for main lines more than the mid size machine,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

bhd, are you sure you're not a full time plumber and drain cleaner

you always hit the nail on the head

no need to put in my 2 cents as you've nailed it.

but i will.

the k-39 is much better than the milwaukee hand gun.

the milwaukee was my first snake when i was 13. retired it a few years later. the ridgid lane has been there ever since.

start with the k-39 power feed, and this will cover almost every indoor stoppage. the k-50 will cover every indoor need. and the k-60 will cover 95% of everything.

well i guess we covered everything now

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks so much and it will definitely be the Ridgid instead of Milwaukee Electric.

Comment

"Also, the house where I live has a septic tank that the previous owner connected to the city drain line when the city ran drain lines. Have you ever heard of this and what complications could this cause?"

I can answer this but kind of winded and a couple of questions.
          No sense to get into it if your not coming back as you already have your answer RE:drain machines.

Are you gone for good or coming back???
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes, I would greatly appreciate your answering the question about the septic tank. Thanks so much.

Comment

Abandoned Septic tanks ,in My area, must be pumped dry then filled with sand.
              On way is to have a concrete truck deliver the sand and shoot it into the tank. Also a slinger truck can shoot it in. Make sure all utility lines are marked out. Large trucks can destroy drain and other lines buried. Ps You're a GREAT Daughter
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks so much! However the septic tank is not abandoned. My parents found out on the day we bought the house(2006), that when the city came through to upgrade the neighborhood from the septic tanks to city lines, the previous owner had just connected the septic tank outgoing pipe to the city sewer drain line. That's all we know. In another few weeks the city is now upgrading the sewer line to larger pipe, and I guess I'll just wait and see if we have to demolish the septic tank or fill with sand etc if and when they discover this. But if left the way it is, will this cause problems? I don't know how old the septic tank is but the house is over 100 years old. When the house was first built, I don't think it had a bathroom because there is evidence that the bathroom and laundry room used to be a porch. I guess they had an outhouse in rural Mississippi around the turn of the century!

Comment

It would still need to be pumped occasional If you are on city sewer I would not keep it in the system.

leaving the tank jsut causes unnecessary maintenance and one more place to have problems, and unless it is a "quality septic tank" there is a danger of collapse and people have lost there lives in the process,

here is a story of the danger, http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in981411.shtml even if it is not abandon old tanks still pose a hazard of lid collapse, (if it is a good new unit little to worry about but in most places that is not the case unless the old one caved in),
                  If it was a old steel one I would abandon it and fill it as fast as I could,
                  digging one of the old steel lid-ed ones open was nearly taking one life in there own hands, as usually the lids were nearly and some times completely rotted/rusted out,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  In our area rural indoor plumbing came in about the same time as electricity which was in the 1950's, some people had it earlier, with the use of gravity feed water systems, and indoor plumbing came with pressurized water systems, flush toilets do not work with out some pressure to fill there tanks.
                  (in some places it was also the question of the volume of water that was avable to them, toilets can use a lot of water).

(it was not that the house was with out water, but it only had a few hundred gallon tank in the rafters of a building that feed a single faucet in the in side porch of the house, and a pipe out the side of the house that drain on to the ground for that sink).
                  Last edited by BHD; 01-08-2009, 11:35 AM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree with BHD and Tool. The $500ish???? it will cost to pump the tank and fill with sand is not much in the long run. This may have already been done. Around here the tank is usually crushed/removed and new pipe run.

I assume a construction Co will be the ones to actually do the new town pipes. If so I would contact them, to get a price to crush the tank and replace the pipe if need be. Since their equipment will already be on site, they SHOULD be able to do it much cheaper.

If you need to be adopted in the next couple of months, let me know. My Birthday is coming up, and I could use a new jetter
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Back East, Mass. In the 60s,before steel reinforced precast strong tanks, Septic tanks were built with hand laid blocks. Here in N. Ca. tanks were hand built from redwood timbers.
                      All hand dug.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X