X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cutters

Just getting some ideas. For the drain guys. Could you list your cutters or heads, what you use them for, & why you prefer them. I have a set and would like to think I have some common sense but honestly don't know if I know the best ends for the jobs.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Drain Cutters

I am going to assume that you are referring to cutters for a cable machine versus a jetter. I have a full set of cutters that came with my machine (Drum). The only ones that i use is the 3" Cutters which i use together as a double blade. Sometimes if i cant get the double through clog i will go down to one blade and then back to the double once some of roots are cleared. If i suspect that pipe is broken and/or seperated then i will use the head that looks like a spear to attempt to unstop the line at which point i would sell camera job.

As for my sink machine and pistol drill the only head that i have ever used is a "drop-bulb auger"? Looks basically like the end of your closet auger!!

That what you were looking for?

I don't have a jetter so i am no help there, but i understand "warthog, warthog, or a warthog"" will work well in your application.

Comment

what machine, cable and size pipe?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I carry 3 of every type they make from ridgid, eel, and general but I use a lot that I invented my self, along with some home made and factory adaptors

Comment

out of respect for Ridgid (love the seesnake, wrenches, wet/vacs, pipe threaders) I prefer another brand of sewer and drain machines so I wont say the name. Don't know if ridgid uses different terms for their blades - but here i go.

I use 2 1/2 inch pear shaped blades for 3inch roof vents, and closet bends. 3 inch pear shaped blades for 3 to 4 inch clean outs. 5 inch "big chuck" blades for 6 inch. a whip for 2 inch drains (no blades in 2 inch). a combination whip cutter for stubborn sewers, followed by a mini jetter (3000psi 5gpm) if blades or whip doesn't work. mini jetter nozzles - if working from upstream to downstream I use a nozzle that has 3 jets shooting forward 4 shooting back to push "muck" downstream. from downstream to up stream I use a nozzle that has 1 jet shooting forward and 4 shooting back to pull the muck downstream. Don't know the names for these nozzles. Don't have a "big" jet yet, priced one at $32,000 I'm just not getting enough demand for it to warrant the purchase, yet.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            what machine, cable and size pipe?

rick.
            I don't have many machines yet. I use an I95 sectional. Link pictures would be great if anyone can post those. The names & descriptions sometimes get me lost.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I don't have many machines yet. I use an I95 sectional. Link pictures would be great if anyone can post those. The names & descriptions sometimes get me lost.

Thanks.

J.C.
              the i95 is very similar to the k-60 it uses the same cables and has the same ridgid ends so they will interchange

for 5/8'' i like the bulb auger t202, straight auger t201, 4 blade cutter t213 and the drop head t217 with caution.

for 7/8'' i like the straight auger t101, funnel auger t102, 4 blade 3'' t113, sharktooth t-150-1 3'', 150-2 4'', and of course my favorite root cutter t111 3'' spiral root saw.

then there are the customs like my g17 4''x 3'' double pear offset cutter and my reverse wound continuous corkscrew auger.

you can be creative and adapt almost any cutter to fit the blade holders. buying generic blades are much less than factory blades

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

For 4" main
                My most commonly used head is a 3" spiral root saw.
                If I have camered the main I will use a 4" spiral root saw or a 3-6" expanding cutter, depending on the condition of the pipe.

Spiral root saw does a good job on roots but not when the pipe is packed right full. Like the kind you get at the home of a little old lady that has lived alone for ages. I found that a 3" heavy duty C cutter works pretty good in this situation to get it open then finish off with 3" then 4".
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I use the k-60 with 7/8 cable most times, a super-v and a small auger bulb. on the 7/8 cable, I go with a retreiver head of 1 inch and 2 inch. also a C-cutter of 3 inches in size.....there's many others that are around though. good luck.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Thanks.

J.C.
                    this is the only pic i could lift from their website, this is the 3 inch pear shaped blades, works for most applications.
                    Attached Files

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                      this is the only pic i could lift from their website, this is the 3 inch pear shaped blades, works for most applications.
                      Most helpful. Thanks. Is that pronounced A-Bear like the pro quarterback?

J.C.

Comment

yes - like Bobby Hebert

it's a cajun (french) name as common in south louisiana as smith

I'm HER-BERT when I leave louisiana, lol

the name of my company makes more sense when the name is pronounced right - it rhymes

there is a local company called A BEAR refrigeration, but I suspect they're Hebert's that gave up explaining the name.

Lenny

Comment

Good name for your business. I thought it probably rhymed.

J.C.

Comment

Here is my usual set for mains,double 6" but I like a 6x4 blade set up.

Comment

Working...
                            X