X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-380 model

are there any tools or attachments to the K-380 model that will support cleaning a 4" main-pipe. The main from my house to the street is clogged with tree roots that the standard attachments that came with the machine cannot handle. Thanks.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=4;t=000088

When the K-380 machine was launched, there was a new style of cable launched with it. The design of this cable made it necessary to have the same coupler on the 1/2" and 3/8" cables. In order to utilize 1/2" tools on the 1/2" IW cables we created an adapter (Cat # 92607) One end is 3/8" female and the other end is 1/2" male which of course accepts the 1/2" tools.
    it is a piece of cable about 12" long with 3/8" tool cutter end on one end, and the 1/2" cable end on the other, to make the new 380 1/2 cable work with the 1/2 tools,

http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...=000150#000001

The K-380 is a good choice for a couple of reasons. It features a torque limiter that will allow the cable to slip before any damage occurs to it. This is a plus for operators who do not necessarily clean drains on a frequent basis. In order to clean 4-inch drains you will need to purchase the larger 1/2" cable and install it in your drum. However as far as the price is concerned this might be the best bet. An extra drum can be purchased to house the other cable or it can be installed in the machine when it is needed.
    then you can use the 1/2 cable tools,
    http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-143.pdf
    this page is the accessories for the 3800 unit, but lists the 1/2 tools,
    the tool set is model T270 part number,54992

now personally I have not tried to clean a 4" drain with this unit, but this is what I understand you would need,
    the manual states that for 3" to 4" lines a 1/2 cable is needed,

THis is an interesting read as well, the post by OLE
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...=000005#000002
    usually a 2' can be cleanned with a 3/8 or 1/2 in cable, with a clean out.
    if you are working on a 3' 4' you have to use a 5/8 or larger cable no mater what the plug is.if you have roots you have to use blades,never a bare cable or you will get stuck.ole the rooter man.ps cables wear and flip when under stress,note use your old motor oil put it in a large pan roll up the cable and dip over night and hang to dry .
    Good luck on your problem
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I jsut found one more post that could be of intrest to you, by, Reyab

http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...=000126#000001

the k-380 1/2 cable isnt a bad machine i have one its pretty effective on 2 to 4 inch drains it wont attack roots and after about 50 ft out its power wanes and it requires some skill to operate
      after finding the stoppage you will have to work the stoppage with some technique but just around the house its ok it has paid for itself
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I purchased a K-380 Snake. I then purchased an autofeed unit for the K-380 Snake (Ridge Cat#87337, Model A-380). The autofeed came without the three Ball Bearings (Cat No 44077) mounted on the Roller Shafts (Cat No 87607). THis makes the autofeed useless. I doubled checked the parts breakdown that came with the K-380 and it distinctly showed the three Ball Bearings (Cat No 44077) mounted on the Roller Shafts (Cat No 87607) for use with the Model K-380 Snake. Yet, twice now, I have received the Autofeed Part No A-380 without the three Ball Bearings (Cat No 44077) mounted on the Roller Shafts (Cat No 87607). Without the bearings, the rollers only rotate in to 7/8" ID with the handle rotated to full 90 degrees both directions. My Snake uses a 1/2" OD Cable. Attempts to resolve this thru Ridge have been in vain.

Comment

Brewmaster,

I don't know who you have contacted regarding this issue. Please contact Adam (the moderator of this forum) about getting this resolved. He can put you in contact with the appropriate tech service person. The three bearings are indeed on the autofeed Bill of Material, and should have been on your units.

I talked with the designer in the drain cleaning group, and he is surprised that you are even able to feed 7/8" cable. With the proper components, you should see a marked improvement in feeding all sizes!

Steve
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. I managed to get the adapter and the attachmet last month and they worked great. Thanks for all the help.

--bassam

Comment

I am in the process of still trying to get a working autofeed for the K-380 Snake. Maybe the third time will be the charm. As soon as I get a working A-380 Autofeed assy, I will be sending the two units that are missing their roller bearings back to John with Ridgid Technical Services. I did not say nor did I try to use a 7/8" cable with the K-380. The A-380 Autofeed without its roller bearings on the roller shafts only rotates in to 7/8" ID (which makes it useless for the existing 1/2" OD cable).

Comment

Working...
              X