X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is one for the books

On Saturday night around 10:30pm we get a call for a sewer stoppage. The homeowner tells us a big name rooter company was out there at 2pm went sixty feet with their snake and could not go any more. They put the camera in and could not see anything because it was underwater. The customer is told they need to come back with the jet to fix the problem and they would return by 4pm. At 4:30 the HO calls the company and they tell her they will now be there between 8 and 10pm. At 10pm she calls back and they now tell her it will be Sunday morning. So we get the call and tell her to make sure they are not going to charge her for what they have done so far, no need to pay two companies. She calls them at 10:40pm they don't call her back until 8am Sunday. She calls us at 8:15 and we go over. We are in the middle of a 3inch snow storm now. I get there and she shows me a bill from the rooter company from 5 years ago for roots cleaned from main line and a root treatment. I send my sectionals in with a spade, get to 64 feet and power thru something I add an extra 16feet and still nothing. One more 8' it starts to bind up hard. Something is not right, so I pull the snake out and send the camera in. At 64 feet its been under water for 20 feet now I hit a dead stop. Locate and flag the spot. Tell her we will be out Monday morning to dig. Well we found the problem a septic tank. I asked the HO if she had one when I first arrived she said they have been in the house 20 years and are on town sewer. The RE listing said town sewer so who knew. My pumper said it was the worst he has ever seen. Less than 6 inches of liquid in a 1000g tank. Over 20 years of no service. I'm not sure where the rooter found the roots 5 years prior, they must have cleared the T to the tank. Thanks to the big rooter company for a nice job. We will be installing a pump chamber to get them to the town sewer.

Re: This is one for the books

Is it possible that they got hooked to the sewer from the back end of the tank? Hard to believe it still worked after 20 years of no pumping with a drain field.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
      Is it possible that they got hooked to the sewer from the back end of the tank? Hard to believe it still worked after 20 years of no pumping with a drain field.
      Herk
      After pumping the tank we inspected the one out flow which went to a box for the fields. The town had sent the homeowner a letter 4 years ago to dye test the line because they were unable to find where they were hooked in. Thats explains that their not tied in. The outflow line to the fields ran down to about 8 inches off the bottom of the tank which is why any of the liquid was able to exit. After 20 years twelve of which their to kids were living there and who knows when before that the tank was serviced. I'd say everything about the system was right. Hopefully it will last another month to get the permits done for the pump installation.

Comment

I have had a few that , they did not tie in the grey water line [ goes out the other side of the house ] , had two that they tied into the out let of the tank , some of them that we did were before camerias , that was a pain , finding , and listening with a sectional

Comment

I worked on one where they had cleaned out the septic tank and put a sewage sump in there. I was in there trying to get it to run. I finally went out to the street and pulled up the manhole cover and it was ice level with the pavement. That was a few years ago. Interesting job. The city sewer was actually higher than the house sewer on a side street.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
            The city sewer was actually higher than the house sewer on a side street.
            This is the problem we have here so we will fill in the tank and install a sewer ejector station.

Comment

Working...
            X