Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And two other plumbers said it was broken.

Snaked this sewer for three hours with a helper. Had to pull in and out of the sewer 4 times with 2 different cutter and clear many many roots from the cable each time. I could only use a 3" four blade cutter because the house is on a 4" cast iron trap. The picture is of my final pass thru the sewer. The homeowner had 2 different plumbers that were using "drum" machines and they could not clear the system both of them said it was broken. Sectional machines are the BEST!! I forgot to take a picture of a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of roots!

Re: And two other plumbers said it was broken.

I would bet that with that many roots it is "broken" as well.. Way to stay after it and get the customer flowing again

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
      Snaked this sewer for three hours with a helper. Had to pull in and out of the sewer 4 times with 2 different cutter and clear many many roots from the cable each time. I could only use a 3" four blade cutter because the house is on a 4" cast iron trap. The picture is of my final pass thru the sewer. The homeowner had 2 different plumbers that were using "drum" machines and they could not clear the system both of them said it was broken. Sectional machines are the BEST!! I forgot to take a picture of a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of roots!

The other plumbers probably were using 3/8 or 1/2 inch cables in drums which would be the problem. Could also be that they use the right size cable but it's not in good shape, kinks, etc.

Not all plumbers are good drain cleaners.

I regularly remove roots from sewers with an a Gorlitz GO68 with 150' of 11/16 cable and blades. In that situation with a 4 inch p-trap I would have used a whip or whip cutter, which is a 3 foot leader with a 2 1/2 inch pear shaped blade at it's base. Great job on getting the roots out. I just wanted to let folks know that the right drum machines will remove roots.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend a video and repair to those customers.

I'll now duck as I know that this isn't a popular subject here.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Allclear has pulled out colossal roots a hundred times larger than that with his big 7500 drum and he has pics to prove it.
        Most of us here have seen sectionals AND drums get the job done, and we have respect for both types of tools. The OPERATOR is more important than the tools.
        I have a sectional machine and a drum on my truck for sewer jobs and I use them both.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          The homeowner had 2 different plumbers that were using "drum" machines and they could not clear the system both of them said it was broken.

Any sewer that has a 5 gallon bucket of roots, would indicate that line is broken, or there wouldn't be that much growing inside that line.

Now, there's 2 schools of thinking on whether replacement is a good idea.

Your cleaning buys time, and those roots will be back. You didn't camera?

If that cable is showing that much roots on the final pass...

there's more inside that piping, final pass will be a clear cable on the return.

You like job security like the rest of eh?

You never mentioned RootX either, so before this turns into a drum machine bash thread,

I thought I'd add to clarity to the discussion.

I think the majority of us will cable till a clean cable comes back...at least that's how I clear drains.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i told the customer that the system should be snaked out overy 6 months. I considered rootx, but the house is on a trap and the rootx will foam in seconds. I dont think it would be as effective as it should be.

Im not a "drum" basher. I am basher of people who by a sewer machine and call them selfs plumbers or drain cleaners! I used to love drum machines.

Comment

Two questions:

1) If you use to love drums, why do you not now?

2) Why don't people cut out these house traps?

Just learning.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

2) Why don't people cut out these house traps?

Good point. The only time I see that in my area is in trailer parks.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  Of course, it may be a trailer and I just answered my own question.

Lenny

Comment

I live for those calls. I love when i've been called as a last resort before digging. I let the customer know that if the line is broke it's a good chance I'm going to get stuck, but I will pull EVERYTHING I've got to keep them from having to dig. If I do get stuck I'm more then willing to leave those sections in the line until they get someone to dig.

It's almost like I have free license to push the envelop and take more risk then I normally would. If I get stuck, no harm no foul. If I clear the line, I'm the hero.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The right tool for the job, and the ability to get the most out of the tool is key.

I have pulled masses such as that pictured with my K-750, you just gotta know when to pull er back.
                      sigpic
                      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                        A few weeks ago I was augurring under a trailor I had trouble at the 1st 90 but finally got it with a small blade. I was out 20 foot and could go know further. Then the owner of the trailor park showed up and said you went through the trap! and a clean out should be right under your machine! and I'll get my workers out because we take care of all blockages under the ground! We had a good laugh over it.

Comment

the few traps that i've run into are no fun for a 3/4'' drum. cables too stiff and the innercore gets a bad bend.

but i did manage to get a 7/8'' sectional through a 2'' line with a trap

who the heck installs a roof drain with a trap and 2'' pipe

next time you have a worn or bad section of cable. turn it into a reverse corckscrew auger.

this is my best secret weapon. the open wind cable will grab and pull out the roots. the 4 blade cutter is good on hard deposits, but not a good root cutter.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

great idea Rick how do you make that set up??

I am from detroit area and almost all the older houses are on 4" cast iron traps.

Comment

this is an entertaining thread, those that wish to see through what they cannot, and locate the unknown.

Comment

Working...
                              X