Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuck

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
    Rick may have called it.

The parish next to where I live uses back flow valves on the sewers.

Problem is they're all buried.

May need to video and locate.
    no one from Waste Management knows anyhting about back flow valves being used here, remember this house was built, for all practical purposes in a 3rd world country. ther were no ACTUAL codes in place before Hugo in September '89. things changed moderately after that.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I am not a drain clearing man but have a dumb idea!!

Can you find where the house connects to a manhole? Then just keep adding cable until it comes out the manhole and pull it from there??

just a dumb idea.

G3

Comment

Stxrus,try filling all fixtures,then have someone drop them all quickly while you pull on the cables.If it is a backwater valve,this should set you free.

Now,If you might have made it to the Waterworks Association's sewer tap and dropped down into the Main.Then grab hold,Grit your teeth and talk real pretty like to the cables,while working the machine.

Or hire some young men and let them at it.

But,I think you know all this,so good luck.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

the closest manhole is about 250' away and no one knows where the line comes out of the house. the yard has sheds, dog houses, and misc junk all over the place. if i knew where to dig to find the line i'd have that done, cut and splice the pipe after the cable was out.

i had 4 strong guys from VIWMA helping to pull the cable out but we were just stretching it. it recoiled very nicely.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Sounds to me like Drainman has a good plan.

G3

Comment

If you can dig at all I would take it clamp a locater on to the cable and trace it out. It is not as accurate as a sender but close enough if you don't have one or cant borrow one bend a coat hanger and trace the line out that way. I have had better luck with witch sticks divining a pipe then some locaters. check with the city to see where it taps in they should have it on there maps. If you can get ahead of it you can bring it out with a retrieval head. But I agree with the others, A back flow valve or out of the pipe curling up try the water, maybe a jetter if you got one to push the gate open run it forward a little so the cable isn't holding it closed

Comment

I can't see having a backwater valve if it isn't needed or required, That being said me and another plumber put a backwater valve in a basement that was above street level. dahhhhh. We didn't even think about it. Maybe who ever plumbed the place was from an area that required BWV's. It seems like the open wind might still pull back in reverse with a bwv. I think the pipe is broke in 2 spots and both edges are holding the cable. Of course that should still come back in reverse to a point. I'm locking that answer in but it may not be my final answer

Comment

good post enjoyed the read.
                  Cheers
                  Greg

Comment

many years ago i was stuck in the same manner that it would go forward , but not back.

i got lucky that the manhole was another 100' cable away.

went there the next morning early and had the original plumber there to tell me when the cutter was visible at the manhole. used a wire to lasso the cable and remove the cutter. i can't remember if i pulled the cable out there or back to the c/o it was years ago and then i spent a day jetting the line that had concrete in it. it never plugged from that point on

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
                      If you can dig at all I would take it clamp a locater on to the cable and trace it out. It is not as accurate as a sender but close enough if you don't have one or cant borrow one bend a coat hanger and trace the line out that way. I have had better luck with witch sticks divining a pipe then some locaters. check with the city to see where it taps in they should have it on there maps. If you can get ahead of it you can bring it out with a retrieval head. But I agree with the others, A back flow valve or out of the pipe curling up try the water, maybe a jetter if you got one to push the gate open run it forward a little so the cable isn't holding it closed
                      Locating with a coat hanger-would you elaborate on this method ?
                      Kenneth Collier
                      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                      Jackson, MS 39206
                      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
                        Locating with a coat hanger-would you elaborate on this method ?
                        Dowsing also known as divining. Alot of old timers do it here, some better then others. Some use a branch and cut it at a 'Y' and hold the tops of the Y in each hand and hold it flat in front of themselves. When they are over what they are looking for, the bottom of the Y bends and points.

Some hold a stick or rod(ie;coat hanger) in each hand. When the sticks cross each other, that marks the spot.

Kind of hocous pocous but I've seen it done enough times to make me a believer.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford
                          Kind of hocous pocous but I've seen it done enough times to make me a believer.
                          If you can prove that, James Randi will give you one million dollars. "Magic" tends to go away when observed skeptically. And he's covered dowsers extensively for years.

Comment

What happened?

Did you find what had you stuck? Backwater valve? Old cable?

J.C.

Comment

This is complete nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95J85E7DNU

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Wow that video really changed the way I think. Anyone want to buy a see snake? I no longer need it after seeing that informative video
                                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X