X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck

i knew it would happen one day. called to a backup. 2 outside COs in PVC.

ran 7/8 with straight auger and had a bit of difficulty around 10 feet. kept working it and it finally passed. continued to about 55 and the water went down about 2 inches in the CO and a small amount in the corresponding toilet. i try to pull back but nothing happens. i reverse the K-75 and the cable spins but will not come back. i try running forward. the cable spins but won't come back. just for grins i run 2 more feet in, it goes in with ease but will not come back.

can't get the camera past the same point through both COs and water is too dark to see. locater confirmed location. unfortunately it's under the slab, AFAIK, and have no idea where it's going.

since this is job contracted with our Waste Management Authority i meet with them tomorrow to decide what to do. assume the pipes are PVC but cast is a REAL possibility.

at least in the dirt it can be dug up. i'd hate to demo the house to get my 4 sections of BRAND NEW cable out

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: Stuck

Last time I got stuck really bad, it was my K-60 7/8" open-wind cable and it took almost forever to get it out. But I did. The only thing that worked was alternating between reverse and just pulling on it as hard as possible. reverse, pull, reverse, pull, reverse, pull. It seemed to accomplish nothing, but eventually, gradually, I was able to free it up. Open-wind cable gets stuck easier, I try to be careful but sometimes it happens to all of us.
    Good luck.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

That sux!! Sorry to hear about the tuff luck.

Maybe by tomorrow the line will have drained down enough to get a look with the camera???

I have done a few jackhammer jobs ( I posted pics of the last one), they are no fun but can pay well...

Okie

Comment

Hate when that happens.

Every situation where a cable gets stuck is different so it's hard to give advice on.

Reverse rotation, wait for that feeling in your hands when the cable untangles, and pull. (if out of pipe and under slab)

Tie down open reels for extra tension on drums

Let cable rest, come back the next day and just pull on it without power

Different situations, different techniques.

I've seen guys tie the cable to their truck bumper and hit the gas. (Would not recommend, very dangerous, when the cable snaps, watch out)

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

steve, do you thing there might be a backwater valve in the system?

roots tend to wind up pretty good in an open wind cable with auger end. but typically you can't keep running forward if it's balled up in roots.

a couple months ago i got my 1.25'' cable stuck just like yours and the line never cleared. i had no choice that day but to try and get it out with my k-60 7/8'' cable. it worked like a charm. the water went down and the cable broke loose all in a matter of a couple minutes.

camered the line a few weeks later and then jetted it the other day.

appears that the roots were so heavy in the 6'' line that the root saw wound its way through the roots, but didn't rip enough of the mass out as i only had a 4'' c/o to work with. the 7/8'' was able to free up the mass and everything went smooth from there.

you have to be careful running a second open wind in with the other one there. they can thread into each other. do you have access to a drum cable/ tight wind also some liquid soap help lube the cable if it has a root ball.

see if the water went down to look with the camera.

remember i'm only a plane ticket away from you

and after 2 straight weeks of 80+ , it's suppose to rain today.

so the timing is perfect

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Really stuck ones are tuff but it got in there so it should come back but it is slow slow slow! Place some tape on a spot of the cable to mark your spot, do as others have said try reverse but only for very small amounts of time, grab that cable and pull like your life depends on it, while watching your tape mark the reason is when stuck bad you are hoping to bring it back coil by coil the tape shows your exact progress, usually after you get back a foot or two it will release and come back normal. Sorry for the long post but it's hard to explain.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Stxrs, have you placed the wind of the cable against the pipe or C.O. lip?

Really helps in my short experience.

J.C.

Comment

quick update

BTW, thanks for the advice from everybody

the cable is still in the pipe. it will move forward with ease. when i reverse the cable binds so tight it stops the motor from turning and when the clutch is released it springs forward. camera shows some god awful plumbing. "T"s everywhere and very few sweeps and a hard 90. i think that is where i'm binding.

explained to the HO that we're gonna have to open the floor/wall where the hard bend is to ascertain what's going on. and get my cables out. this is a solid concrete construction home built in the 60s. an addition was added and there is PVC there but who knows what's beyond that.

the old man is ballistic but wife is more level headed and realizes that this must be done.

oh, well such is life.

off to an outdoor shower drain blockage

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

If it is roots i poor a small box of powder "Tide" down and that slicks it up pretty good.

Comment

not roots. probably a grease/soft paper blockage and really sh!tty plumbing

steve

Comment

I like Ricks back flow valve theory.

I baled one of my competitors out once stuck in a back flow. They could go forward with ease but not back More then 4' or so.
                      His guys worked all day trying to get it out. The next day owner tries till noon then calls us.

I hooked on to his cable and pull. no luck. About 20' away I notice a metal cover right over the line. I ask the building super "whats that for?". He says "oh that? thats nothing" I say "ahh no. Thats something".

I opened it up and it's just about as deep as the main. I clear 4" of dirt away and I see Z_R_. DUH. It's ZURN. It's a back flow valve. So old the cover would not come off, so I busted it off with a chisel and hammer.
                      The Super and my competition were looking at me like I didn't have a clue. 5 mins later I was pulling his cable out.

Total time from when I showed up till his cable was out, 1hr. Competition's total time on the job 13hrs. The look on their faces when they figured out I do have a clue PRICELESS.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Well what happened??? Is the cable out? This is more exciting then trying to figure out who shot J.R.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          Well what happened??? Is the cable out? This is more exciting then trying to figure out who shot J.R.
                          SOMEBODY SHOT JRSALTZ!?!?!? Say it ain't so!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            haven't heard back from the HO about this. so the cable is still there.

steve

Comment

Rick may have called it.

The parish next to where I live uses back flow valves on the sewers.

Problem is they're all buried.

May need to video and locate.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                              X