X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaners have no rights?

Well I got my van transmission fixed after it got vandalized. My insurance company wrote me to inform me that I was insured but they were not going to pay for it because I cleaned drains and sewers!. I asked what deference that made They sent me a picture of the sign on my van that said sewer and drain cleaning and a letter saying our adjuster seen this on my van and that I carry a lot of drain cleaning stuff in the van and they feel they should not pay for it even if I have the proper kind of commercial insurance and it is listed as a drain and sewer cleaning service van. They seem to think I use my transmission in my van to clean drains? not just to haul my equipment. I explained it to them but they just told me I cleaned drains and that they did not think it a very nice business to be in and that I should expect things like this to happen. This blew my mind I have been paying extra for this insurance, we have been with them since 1961, only had 1 claim 8 years ago, now this? Needless to say I am looking for a new insurance company. Have any of you been treated unfair in something like this. The local agent cant tell me why there denying this claim I followed proper procedure with the police report, and calling them as soon as I found out. There is something going on here. I am not going to let them off the hook.

Re: Drain cleaners have no rights?

No insurance company is very good in my book these days. The larger the insurer-the worse off you are in my book.

Some people think their insurer is terrific if they pay a claim but often that same insurer just turns around and tries to get all of their money back and then some through subrogation proceedings.

J.C.

Comment

My insurance company was good, or I thought so, one day the wind was horrific,
      and the grain auger was up at the bin, I looked and one minute it was standing and the next it was on the ground, in the process it hit the tractor, taking the muffler off, the air intake, and took the filler off the fuel tank, and smashed the hood of the tractor in, (it was a 1970's tractor), it jsut missed the cab, but I went to John Deere and got new prices of the parts damaged, and the total came up to some thing like $3000 and the auger was bent and need replacement, I valued it @ $500 I sent them pictures of the damage and my insurance agent contacted the company, and they sent me a check for about $2000 for the damages, I straightened out the hood and the intake and had a muffler I was going to put on it in the shop, soldered the filler back on the diesel tank, and found a replacement used auger for $350 that was better for my needs any way, and the same brand so I have some spare parts.
      I felt they treated me right,

I am sorry to hear the problem,

I think you should contact your states insurance commissioner, and see if they think the company is doing the right thing.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Goodness Gracious man, you've got some of the worst luck I've heard anyone have between vehicles and dogs, and vehicles. People chasin' ya down on the internet.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

gt,

Don't let them off the hook. Call your state's insurance dept. and complain. It would be one thing if you didn't have the proper insurance; but if you've got commercial insurance they should cover you.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Some people think their insurer is terrific if they pay a claim but often that same insurer just turns around and tries to get all of their money back and then some through subrogation proceedings.
            I prefer that my insurance company does that though; because if it comes out of the other guys pocket it has the effect of decreasing my premiums or increasing my dividend. Making the party at fault pay up can be part of their job, and as long as I am covered without having to go through all that hassle myself, then I think I am getting a good value.

Comment

Then why don't they from the beginning?

I'm trying to make the point that the majority of insurance is this way now. This company, and the majority in my opinion, are making a concerted effort to not pay legitimate claims. It's the only business I'm aware of that does this.

What a great business. I should open one.

1) Force people to have my product.
              2) Collect premiums.
              3) Deny claims based solely on my discretion.

It would be like me offering a service contract on your plumbing and refusing to honor it with dozens of reasons why.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Then why don't they from the beginning?

I'm trying to make the point that the majority of insurance is this way now. This company, and the majority in my opinion, are making a concerted effort to not pay legitimate claims. It's the only business I'm aware of that does this.

What a great business. I should open one.

1) Force people to have my product.
                2) Collect premiums.
                3) Deny claims based solely on my discretion.

It would be like me offering a service contract on your plumbing and refusing to honor it with dozens of reasons why.

J.C.
                I'm not saying that I agree with that business model, but the particular practice of subrogation that you put forward isn't bad. Last time I got into an accident (my fault), the other insurance company paid out the claim, then I had to pay them the $853. When my mother had someone else hit her, our insurance company did the same thing. They paid the whole claim for her, then went after the other guy to get most of it back. That is much better than you having to try to get your deductible back by yourself (or if you have no collision getting the whole thing out of the other insurance company).

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  My insurance company was good, or I thought so, one day the wind was horrific,
                  and the grain auger was up at the bin, I looked and one minute it was standing and the next it was on the ground, in the process it hit the tractor, taking the muffler off, the air intake, and took the filler off the fuel tank, and smashed the hood of the tractor in, (it was a 1970's tractor), it jsut missed the cab, but I went to John Deere and got new prices of the parts damaged, and the total came up to some thing like $3000 and the auger was bent and need replacement, I valued it @ $500 I sent them pictures of the damage and my insurance agent contacted the company, and they sent me a check for about $2000 for the damages, I straightened out the hood and the intake and had a muffler I was going to put on it in the shop, soldered the filler back on the diesel tank, and found a replacement used auger for $350 that was better for my needs any way, and the same brand so I have some spare parts.
                  I felt they treated me right,

I am sorry to hear the problem,

I think you should contact your states insurance commissioner, and see if they think the company is doing the right thing.
                  Farmers lost there rights a long time ago. I never heard of a farmer not having a problem collecting on anything. I joined an insurance club the members decide what claim to pay. We just buy one big policy and pay for the damages out of the club account then get reimbursed from the insurance company it is a lot cheaper then each of us buying a separate policy. I wish they had one for vans.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    Goodness Gracious man, you've got some of the worst luck I've heard anyone have between vehicles and dogs, and vehicles. People chasin' ya down on the internet.

Yea, but You know how my great grand pap's liked to feud so it just makes that old Virginia and Kentucky, blood come out. I think I.LL come up your way to Newport and get me one of the sharks at the aquarium and put him in a tank to guard my van. Might grab me an albino alligator and one of them snapping turtles just for meanies. It would have to be better then the insurance I got

Comment

How was it vandalized ?
                      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                      1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                        How was it vandalized ?
                        How was the transmission hurt by the vandalism?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

They poured something in the fill hole that looked like tar or tire seal. It filled and hardened in the lines and plates and it couldn't be gotten out.The local agent turned it in as vandalism. They said they didn't know what it was for sure but they think it is sludge from a septic tank or a drain. Like most people they have no ideal how a drain is cleaned. In the old days I used the vacuum off the motor to pump a tank but never a drain or a transmission.

Comment

Try a LAWYER.
                            Kenneth Collier
                            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                            Jackson, MS 39206
                            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Which insurance company is it?
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X