What would you use???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you use???

This is a pic of the inside of a 3" shower drain. Just a few inches into it. This is in a residential house with what I call a "car wash shower". Showerhead, body sprays, handshower etc. so it needs the large drain.

Anyway, this customer calls about every 6 months with the drain looking like this. It has offsetting 45's on the riser part to avoid a framing member before it gets to the P-Trap entrance. I can usually get the part you see pretty clean but with my new little camera I see that there is some I'm missing in the offsets.

The material you see is NOT soft and is actually the consistency of dried plaster. I don't know what amalgamation of soaps etc. that cause this but it does. So my question is....

What would you use to clean this & scrape the walls? Any particular cutter? Web links?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

J.C.

Re: What would you use???

Forgot the pic. Sorry.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim. Does anyone know of a part# & possible website for a chain knocker? And possibly some sort of "self expanding" finishing blade that scrapes the walls smooth?

I have General Wire 7/8" & 5/8" sectional cable. Open wind.

The reason I ask is I will probably have to order online. Neither Ridgid or General has much presence here.

J.C.

Comment

Have you looked around and discussed what the HO is using in the shower? Maybe hubby and muffy are plastering each other with ice cream toppings and showering off whatever they can't lick.

Mud packs? Lard?

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
          Have you looked around and discussed what the HO is using in the shower? Maybe hubby and muffy are plastering each other with ice cream toppings and showering off whatever they can't lick.

Mud packs? Lard?
          Don't know. But it is amazing how hard the stuff is and EVERY piece of it bonds well to the PVC.

J.C.

Comment

J.C
            I have seen where the tile guy does the mud job and leaves a ton of cement and thin set in the drain. Not sure if this is what you have or not. Everything seems to get hung up on this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Forgot the pic. Sorry.

J.C.
              DUDE!!!

That looks gross looking!!!
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                J.C
                I have seen where the tile guy does the mud job and leaves a ton of cement and thin set in the drain. Not sure if this is what you have or not. Everything seems to get hung up on this stuff.
                Me too. Had to let some of them know about it.

This buildup is NOT that. I myself cleaned what you're looking at down to bare PVC about 6 months ago. Did the same thing today.

J.C.

Comment

Me too. Had to let some of them know about it.

This buildup is NOT that. I myself cleaned what you're looking at down to bare PVC about 6 months ago. Did the same thing today.

J.C.
                  What type of soap are they using. Thats bad buildup

Comment

There are probably 7 or 8 shower products in the shower area. I guess when they all get together & then dry out....you get this.

Weird. It really is hard crust that bonds to the PVC.

J.C.

Comment

a decent Jetter will probably eat it up.
                      or 4-blade cutter (K-60 attachment) will chew through it pretty well.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

reread, it's 3", oops

one of these days I'll pay attention, sorry

I use a different brand machine so hard to advise
                        Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

I have seen that clean shower stuff do that. The push button auto cleaning stuff. I buy parts for my Ridgid roto rooter from North State Supply in Buffalo NY. Have you tried a blower that goes on the end of a water hose?

Comment

J.C.
                            How'd you do that last time? I would use the 4 bladed cutter on this. For some reason the 4 bladed cutters in the k1500 is bigger than the k60 section and the replacement blades are inter changeable with either blade holder.

North state sells the chain knocker or you could probably make one pretty easily.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              How'd you do that last time? I would use the 4 bladed cutter on this. For some reason the 4 bladed cutters in the k1500 is bigger than the k60 section and the replacement blades are inter changeable with either blade holder.

North state sells the chain knocker or you could probably make one pretty easily.
                              I cleaned the part you see in the pic by blocking the drain, chipping it away with a long screwdriver, and scooping/vacuuming it out. It looked clean last time and this time also until I put the camera in and saw there was similar buildup all the way down in the offsets that I could not get. Aggravated me.

So I was looking for something that would attach to the 7/8" General Sectional cable to get in there and clean it up.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X