X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poo on your hands???

I wrote about this job on another thread and it got me wondering.

When I worked for a local rooter co. years ago I had to go to a gay bar to unstop a sewer during "Southern Decadence", which is a gay festival held in the French Quarter every year. Many thousands of gay men from around the country pack the quarter dressed as women, sailors, and cops, etc. during the festival.

So I get to the bar, which is packed, loud dance music playing, and the nearest bartender yells to me it's the downstairs restroom over there. I went into the restroom and open the first stall door.

There are two guys in there. Do I need to elaborate?

So I go back to see the bartender, and yell to get his attention. He comes over and as I tell him that there are two guys f'n in the stall, I see a naked pair of legs pass between us belonging to the 1/2 naked male stripper that's dancing on the bar. He immediately comes from behind the bar, goes to the stall. pushes the door open and kicks the two guys out.

It's worse than I thought. The commode is pushed to the side because of the loose bolts, and there's toilet paper piled on the floor. Somebody took a dump on the floor. I' m guessing it's because they did not want to sit on the "dirty" seat. Oh and there is a cup surrounded by waste and T.P. in the bowl.

I'm ready to run.

I look at my latex gloves to make sure there are no holes in them, and to think some plumbers laugh at me for wearing latex gloves. I don't even want to touch anything with my gloves. totally skeeved at the situation and the things I've seen.

I push the commode with my foot back into position over the flange. I reach into the commode and pull out the cup, and think, let's flush it and see what happens. It rises all the way to the top, I say "F", and it flushes, YES!!!

I flush it two more times, and it works. I tighten one of the bolts with my channel locks that I had brought in with me. The other bolt spins in place, to hell with it, I'm out.

Collect, No Warranty, Have a nice day.

Tell the dispatcher, they call again, IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S TURN

Do you wear latex gloves for drain and sewer work? Why or why not?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Re: Poo on your hands???

ever hear of "west hollywood"

that's just 6 miles from me.

no problem with the poo, but the dudes

better you than me. i've had my share of naked guys and girls while i've worked

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I buy them by the thousands. The blue nitrle type with powder. They hold up really well. I require that gloves be worn all the time. When we carry equipment we wear them. We have anti-bacterial hand cleaner in the trucks at all times as well.

Call me a sissy all you want, but I don't want to drag some nasties back home to my 3yo son or wife.

There is no harm in being as clean as possible. It is difficult sometimes. Take today for instance. I am up right now because I am washing my Carhart bibs that were so covered in schmegma that I have had to wash and dry them twice along with the other cloths I wore today. Hopefully they will be done soon and not still reek like you know what.

Customers comment all the time about how clean and neat we are compared to people they have had service from in the past.
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Being surrounded by thousands of horny gay men in the club and parading down the street had me looking over my shoulder.

I was worried they would like my plumber uniform too much

I would have let them know quickly that I was not there to lay pipe

I could not imagine that job especially without Latex gloves.

I use Latex for all drain work.

Lenny

Comment

www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
            I buy them by the thousands. The blue nitrle type with powder. They hold up really well. I require that gloves be worn all the time. When we carry equipment we wear them. We have anti-bacterial hand cleaner in the trucks at all times as well.

Call me a sissy all you want, but I don't want to drag some nasties back home to my 3yo son or wife.

There is no harm in being as clean as possible. It is difficult sometimes. Take today for instance. I am up right now because I am washing my Carhart bibs that were so covered in schmegma that I have had to wash and dry them twice along with the other cloths I wore today. Hopefully they will be done soon and not still reek like you know what.

Customers comment all the time about how clean and neat we are compared to people they have had service from in the past.
            Customers definitely notice when your neater and cleaner than the your competitors.

I've tried the purple nitrile gloves, and they do hold up very well.

Sometimes I'll remove one of my gloves to reach in my pocket and get my keys. I found that the nitrile gloves wont go back on easy and I need to put on a new glove. The latex will go back on easy in my experience anyway. Maybe I need to try the powdered nitrile. or a different brand.

Lenny

Comment

Snap on makes the best blue nitrile gloves I have ever used. They are thicker
              and a little longer with a textured palm,they are way more tear resistant than
              any other glove I have ever used,no other nitrile or latex
              gloves even come close. They cost a couple more dollars more per box
              but definately worth it. Any other brand I have used always tears,but
              the snap on blue nitrile gloves I can't remember ever tearing. A friend who
              is a diesel mechanic turned me on to them,and I always have him pick up
              a couple of boxes for me when the snap on truck stops by his shop. Definately a superior product to anyother glove I have used.

Comment

I always ware latex gloves when working on drains and I have a few in my pockets so I can change them when needed. Latex rips all the time I'll try the nitrile gloves sometime and see if they are better. I'd like a glove that goes up my arm about half way to my elbo.

Comment

powdered latex everytime on every job. i consider EVERYTHING behind the seats in the van to be TOXIC. and i wash my hands several times a day.

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I just straight up couldnt do what you guys do. I wouldnt be comfortable in that stall with anything less than a has mat suit on.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      I just straight up couldnt do what you guys do. I wouldnt be comfortable in that stall with anything less than a has mat suit on.
                      I would have loved seeing the expressions on your face changing one of the twins diapers for the first few times.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        I always ware latex gloves when working on drains and I have a few in my pockets so I can change them when needed. Latex rips all the time I'll try the nitrile gloves sometime and see if they are better. I'd like a glove that goes up my arm about half way to my elbo.
                        Stop by your local farm store. They have the cow gloves that go up to your shoulder.
                        I have a bunch. They are good for feeling around in deep water for the clean out, or cleaning out house traps.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

My remodel is above the CASTRO in S.F. It wouldn't bother Me but I'm soo DAM PRETTY!

Castro and Polk street are the predominately gay areas in S'F' Hence the line ------------

What do You do if You drop Your wallet on Polk St.?

KICK IT ALL THE WAY TO VANNESS St.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I wear gloves as well. Dont for get the glasses!

Comment

Me either Josh. Lenny I applaud you. These are the reasons we are commercial/industrial plumbers here. We don't do any service work.

Comment

Working...
                              X