X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what kind of jetter I need.

The only good experience I have is with a US jetting trailer jetter. A fine piece of equipment that could do anything from 1000 psi and 1/4" hose, all the way up to 3/4" hose and 4000 psi @ 18 gpm. She could tear up just about anything at the higher outputs.
    I once took a 6 hour class about jetting also, but I need to dig up my old textbook and notes and refresh my memory.

My other experience is with a wimpy electric jetter that tripped breakers and was so weak that it basically was useless!

So I have used the big, expensive bad boy and I have used the weakest of the bunch. But I am looking for something in the middle, "just right." I can't afford to drop $30,000 on a US jetting trailer unit, but at the same time I don't want to buy something and then find out that its underpowered for the work.

I use all cable machines now, but I want a jetter for certain applications. I would like to buy one jetter that can handle what I do.
    1) Breaking up grease and sludge, particularly for commercial kitchen drains.
    2) Pulling back dirt and mud from small storm drains. (I think that higher GPM is important for this application.)
    3) Descaling old cast iron.
    4) Root-cutting, on 4-6" lines.

Any advice on how to get the most bang for the buck is appreciated. Also, it seems that a trailer is the best option, as otherwise the unit will take way too much space on my truck. I hate towing a trailer around on these steep, curvy mountain roads, but having a truck-mounted or skid-unit doesn't seem to great either.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Not sure what kind of jetter I need.

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    The only good experience I have is with a US jetting trailer jetter. A fine piece of equipment that could do anything from 1000 psi and 1/4" hose, all the way up to 3/4" hose and 4000 psi @ 18 gpm. She could tear up just about anything at the higher outputs.
    I once took a 6 hour class about jetting also, but I need to dig up my old textbook and notes and refresh my memory.

My other experience is with a wimpy electric jetter that tripped breakers and was so weak that it basically was useless!

So I have used the big, expensive bad boy and I have used the weakest of the bunch. But I am looking for something in the middle, "just right." I can't afford to drop $30,000 on a US jetting trailer unit, but at the same time I don't want to buy something and then find out that its underpowered for the work.

I use all cable machines now, but I want a jetter for certain applications. I would like to buy one jetter that can handle what I do.
    1) Breaking up grease and sludge, particularly for commercial kitchen drains.
    2) Pulling back dirt and mud from small storm drains. (I think that higher GPM is important for this application.)
    3) Descaling old cast iron.
    4) Root-cutting, on 4-6" lines.

Any advice on how to get the most bang for the buck is appreciated. Also, it seems that a trailer is the best option, as otherwise the unit will take way too much space on my truck. I hate towing a trailer around on these steep, curvy mountain roads, but having a truck-mounted or skid-unit doesn't seem to great either.

I currently have a KJ-3000 but have not played with it yet. We did had the Generals of the same capacity and were very happy with them.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, the KJ-3000 looks great, as it wouldn't take up a ton of space (no water tank) and I wouldn't need to tow around a trailer. But I question what kind of results I would get with only 4 gpm? It seems it would be quite limited in what it could do. Kind of low-flow for a lot of applications, no?

Comment

I've more or less put my $0.02 on this out there in the past in other threads... let me know if you can't find it or want to hear it specific to your situation.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          I've more or less put my $0.02 on this out there in the past in other threads... let me know if you can't find it or want to hear it specific to your situation.
          I read some of the older threads, but I didn't find the info. I was looking for. If you have time I would be really grateful to hear your advice on my situation. I don't have the time nor the knowledge to build my own jetter. I was just wondering what would best suit my needs. I am thinking maybe a 30 hp, 3500 psi, 8 gpm output would be good, maybe a small trailer unit.
          Last edited by Service Guy; 01-30-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Mark, the KJ-3000 looks great, as it wouldn't take up a ton of space (no water tank) and I wouldn't need to tow around a trailer. But I question what kind of results I would get with only 4 gpm? It seems it would be quite limited in what it could do. Kind of low-flow for a lot of applications, no?

You're absolutely right, you need something more like a Harben DT-100 but I thought you said you were on a budget. The truth is the smaller machines will get almost everything you have up to 4" and when you can afford it you can go to something larger (more expensive).

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              You're absolutely right, you need something more like a Harben DT-100 but I thought you said you were on a budget. The truth is the smaller machines will get almost everything you have up to 4" and when you can afford it you can go to something larger (more expensive).

Mark
              Well, I guess if I am going to eventually buy a Harben DT-100, I would rather skip the smaller jetter and save the money and use it to buy the larger unit sooner.
              If the KJ-3000 can handle hard scale and grease, I may buy it. But I sure wish I could demo. it first to see what kind of power it has.

Comment

Well, I guess if I am going to eventually buy a Harben DT-100, I would rather skip the smaller jetter and save the money and use it to buy the larger unit sooner.
                If the KJ-3000 can handle hard scale and grease, I may buy it. But I sure wish I could demo. it first to see what kind of power it has.

If you are looking at a difference of $20,000 or more between the two units how long will it take you to buy a jetter.

They demoed a KJ-3000 last year during the Roundup. You may also want to see if a rep will bring one out to demo for you.

Mark

Comment

this one (thanks for the link JC) has 8 gpm and is similarly priced as the KJ3000. It seems to me that ridgid's jetters are underpowered and overpriced. I'm just not interested in wasting money on a lowflow, weak jetter.

Comment

Well,

I'm gonna write a book on this one, as it seems to come up from time to time. I'm gonna try to be thorough, so that I can just post a link later, so there may be things here that do not apply to you. I'll probably do this in several posts. Keep in mind that what I have to say applies 100% proven in my personal experience, but your situation may differ from mine due to location (weather, age and hence type of plumbing, local codes) and type of work you do. Others differ with me on some points so keep that in mind as well. Here goes.

Flow, typically measured in gallons per minute (gpm), is by FAR the most important factor in choosing a machine. I see three to four sizes of machine having practical use.

1) small, ~2gpm electric unit for indoor use on 1 1/2" to 2" lines

2) medium, ~6 gpm gas powered unit for 3" - 6" lines, occaisional use in 2" or up to 10" in certain situations.

3) large, 12-20gpm, trailered with supply tank, for those who can't afford huge, for 3"-10", same as medium, but faster and quality of job less dependent on operator.

4) huge, 25-35 gpm 3"-10", same as large but even faster and more of a no-brainer in big lines

The considerations in choosing one or more of these are what you want to accomplish, physical size and ease of use of the machine, and price.

My choices in equipment are based on my situation, and you have to understand that to understand why I recommend the equipment I do. Your situation may be different, so I state mine so you can better decide where we parallel and where we differ and what makes sense for you.

I must have a jetter for 4" lines with me at all times in the winter months. Here, in winter, about every other or every 3rd blocked service is frozen, and I can't cut ice with a cable.

ALL my experience is with 1 and 2. I've seen bigger machins in action, but never used on myself, so don't consider me an authority there. I could afford a huge trailer machine, but don't own one. Here is why.

I can do anything I need to in a 4" or smaller line with 6 gpm. I can do most things I'd like to in 6", and can do many things in up to 10", all with a measly 6gpm. AND, at 6gpm, I don't need a supply tank or a trailer. Expense is not the criteria I make my choice on; it is size.

I do not want to haul a trailer. I live in a mountainous region with 9 mo of winter where it can snow ANY day of the year. Much of my work is in condominium complexes and I must be able to park in parking garages. Parking in general is very difficult here, and the smaller and more manuverable my vehicle is the better. It would be difficult in many cases to find a place to set up a trailer to work. Also it is below freezing most nights here, so a trailer most be freeze-proofed or parked indoors every night. A trailer is possible for me for specific jobs, but not as an everyday haul it around everywhere you go kind of thing. If I could haul a trailer everywhere and park it and set it up for work easily and conveniently, I would go that way in a heartbeat for the extra capability.

I do not have room in my van with all the other equipment for a supply tank of any significant size, and don't want a half full tank sloshing and pulling me off hairpins anyway. No trailer and no supply tank in the van limits me to what I can pull off a hose bib. Sometimes this is good, far more than the 6gpm I size my machines at. Sometimes, like a house with a slowish well, it is bad, way less than 6gpm. But 6gpm is a pretty reliable number.

I could use an 8-12 gpm machine and dial it down when supplies are slower, but that would require a couple sets of nozzles, one sized for lower flows, one for larger flows. A nozzle sized to work with 10 gpm won't make enough pressure to work well at 5 gpm. A nozzle that works well at 5gpm will send pressure off the chart if you force 10gpm through it. Also, I prefer 1/4" hose for several reasons, and I carry a lot of it, 200-350', and think I would start running into pressure problems with it at much more than the 6gpm I put through it now.

So, this is the collection of circumstances that has led me to the 6gpm/4000psi machines I prefer. Since I have limited myself to this size machine, I have learned techniques to make it do what I need it to. These techniques let me do things some would say you need a larger machine to accomplish. You don't need a larger machine, but you do need to show care and dilligence to make a 5-6 gpm machine do a good job in some situations. The 4gpm machines are more limited yet, and I see no reason to go with them as you can get more in most cases without any significant increase in physical size of the machine.

Here ends chapter one... hope it's helpful. I'll add more later. Ask any questions this brings up.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

this one (thanks for the link JC) has 8 gpm and is similarly priced as the KJ3000. It seems to me that ridgid's jetters are underpowered and overpriced. I'm just not interested in wasting money on a lowflow, weak jetter.
                      We had the General J-3050 because we could always take the CR-300 hose cart if we needed it but with the J-3080 you don't have a choice you have to take it with you. You may want to look into how much equipment you would have to remove from your truck to carry both of those.

Mark

Comment

Thanks ace, I also live in the mountains and have a similar situation. You may have just saved me hours of research time. I'd thank you twice if I could!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          We had the General J-3050 because we could always take the CR-300 hose cart if we needed it but with the J-3080 you don't have a choice you have to take it with you. You may want to look into how much equipment you would have to remove from your truck to carry both of those.

Mark
                          Good points mark. I don't think I really have the space for a jetter inside the truck. I think I may go for a mini-trailer model. The more I think about it, towing a small trailer-jet would probably be the best for me.

Comment

My latest, 3rd gen and pretty much got all the kinks worked out jetter is 6gpm at 4000 psi, and occupies an 18"x28" footprint, 42" high, including reel for 400' + of 1/4" hose. It sits in the left rear corner of the van. The gas tank sits behind the wheel well next to it. Thats about as compact as you can get I think.

It's pretty stripped down of features as I just don't use them even though a lot of folks like them, even think they are required. No uinloader (well, actually there IS an unloader I just leave it cranked all the way in and might as well remove it), no foot pedal, no remote reel, no power reel, no pulse feature... a pump, a motor, a gas tank, a reel, a battery, that's it.

Comment

• Heavy duty, 13 hp Honda gasoline engine manual start only.
                              • Engine equipped with hour/tachometer
                              • UDOR heavy duty, triplex plunger pump, rated 5 gpm at 3000 psi
                              • Pump equipped with pressure unloader, oil dampened pressure guage and "Y" strainer
                              • 20" hose reel wioth rotational lock, anti-backlash brake and dirt guard, supports 200' of 3/8" lightweight fabric reinforced thermoplastic sewer hose.
                              • Option of 250' hose available
                              • Small portable storage reel with remote shut off supports 75' of 3/16" FDS hose with 1/8" NPT hose ends.
                              • Four stainless steel sewer nozzles (two for each hose).
                              • Trigger-style handgun with 18" barrel and two 1/4" stainless steel carwarsh nozzles.
                              • Upright heavy duty, royal blue enameled frame of 1" steel tubing supported by two 10" pneumatic tires.
                              • Frame has two caster wheels for horizontal maneuvering.

This is what I use. I like it because it cleans 4 inch and smaller up to 250 feet and it does not take up alot of space since its upright. Also the people who make it are just an hour away from me in Baton Rouge.

I eventually want to get a trailer jet w/ 300 gallon tank/ 4000 psi/ 15/18 gpm. But not enough demand for it, yet.

Of course if I buy it, I'll parade it to every large apartment complex in the area with manhole lines to let them know I have it.

I think I paid $4000, memory is fuzzy on that price - thought more about it thinking $3700.00 is more accurate
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 01-31-2009, 12:04 AM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                              X