X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumping anyone

Do any of you do any pumping? I have a couple a customers with bigger grease trap. We are doing their drain and are dealing with it anyway. The layout for the trucks looks like a big nut to crack. What everyones two cents. I think it would open doors to more work.

Re: Pumping anyone

I've added pumping small traps (50 Gal or smaller) to the services we offer. Mostly as a convenience for the restaraunts where we already service drain lines, and to some extent to get in the door to pick up maintenance jetting with new clients. I'm only doing the small traps as I didn't want to get into buying a truck right off, so I'm working with 55Gal drums and a wet vac head for them. It's a pain in the butt. Getting rid of the waste is difficult, it's stinky dirty work and it gets your equipment, clothing, and vehicle filthy (this coming from a drain cleaner).

My two main beefs are finding somewhere convenient to get rid of the waste, and needing a second vehicle (one to pump, one to jet) on site. If I could make these problems go away I'd seek out more of it, but for now I'm not really promoting this service as it is a pain. A pumper truck with a separated fresh/waste tank and one of those toolbox jetters would address most of my problems as I could pump a lot of little traps before making the haul to the one place I've found that will take the waste, but the costs in plating and insuring one of these, and not having anywhere above freezing to park it, make it impractical for the little bit of work I've got right now.

Really I'd rather just jet and leave the muck to someone else. I've got only one guy who pumps traps and doesn't jet, and he's loosely affiliated with another cleaner, so I'm kind of stuck if I don't want to lose the jetting. You are right though, it creates work and is a way to grow your business.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

ace im curious on this point....i have a sewer and drain cleaning business in nj and im just curious......how does one put a price on emptying grease traps.....there is removal of the grease....and the facilatating of processing it......it is really not good for biodiesel......i guess im askng where do u get rid of the stuff.......and what do you possibly charge to make it worth your while.......doing that work your right is extremely dirty and the smell stays with you all day but who cares if the work is there...and opens the door to other things

Comment

The most difficult thing is getting rid of it. Figure out how you are going to do that before you do anything else, put a price on making the disposal happen, then add some time to do the pumping.

If you have a truck and do septics or porta potties, the plants you dump that at will allow a certain % grease, so just use a trap to top off your load.

I have one place in another town a few hours from here that will take it, but it's not worth the drive unless I can carry more than I can right now.

The landfill won't take it wet. They are trying to get composting going and might take it then.

For now, I filter it and dumpster the solid waste, put the filtered water in the city main. I've made sure to bring samples of filtered water to san dist and get ok'ed to do this. It is time consuming and dirty and stinks out my shop. I need a better solution, which will probably end up being a smallish vac unit on a trailer.

There are trucks that dewater on site... press it thru a filter plate. you put the water back in the trap or septic tank and haul the now solid watse to the landfill. Expensive trucks.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sounds like a movie about a Nymphomaniac.

J.C.

Comment

We also pump into a 55 gal. drum that can be placed in a van, truck or trailer. Our drum has a 2" ball valve toward the bottom for purposes of draining it easily. We use a large fluid transfer pump like the ones used for waste oil. We have a long hose that can be taken into the building with a screen on the end. We try not to pump and thick stuff but the water toward the bottom. We can accomplish this by sinking the hose to the bottom of the trap where there should just be mostly water.

When we get most of the water out we have a bunch of different size scoops and scrapers we use to clean the baffles and screen. We also have a few sets of long gloves that go up to the shoulder. Once all the good stuff is scraped to the bottom of the trap we just scoop it out into a 8 gallon bucket lined with a heavy duty trash bag. It seals with a gasketed lid. Pickle buckets work best. I score these from the restaurants I work at. Grain scoops that are square and plastic scrappers work for cleaning.

When we are all done we use our own cleaners to wash up the hand tools and gloves in a mop sink. We put all the tools in another sealed bucket and back in the truck with no smell.

We take the waste to our local China buffet where we recently installed a outside grease trap that is 1500 gallons and has 2 manhole lids for cleaning. We pull up to it and pop a lid and drain it right in. The more solid stuff goes into their grease vat by cutting a slit in the trash bag and letting it drain.

Close the ball vale on the drum, roll up the hose, throw the trash bag in their dumpster and away we go. We clean their drains for free for dumping fees. It works great for us.

The whole process for a 30 gal. trap takes about 30 minutes to clean and 10 minutes to dump plus the drive.
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

JR I'm choking back laughter... what a nice solution to the disposal problem. For a while I considered buying a restaraunt and installing a great big grease trap to dump into. Your solution is better.

Is that an air operated pump you use? or like a trash pump but electric? or what? I've got a wet vac head that sits on the drum... works nice but stinks the place out as the exhaust blows out right there.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-05-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

JR, some of the things you describe they would absolutely kill us here if we did it. I'm NOT condemning anything you do as I'm not an EPA scientist but here they'd probably take the truck.

Plus, all local municipalities have a jetter system like yours. Wish they needed one.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  JR I'm choking back laughter... what a nice solution to the disposal problem. For a while I considered buying a restaraunt and installing a great big grease trap to dump into. Your solution is better.

Is that an air operated pump you use? or like a trash pump but electric? or what? I've got a wet vac head that sits on the drum... works nice but stinks the place out as the exhaust blows out right there.

Like a trash pump but electric. I hate the smell of grease trap waste so I try to keep it under wraps as best as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    JR, some of the things you describe they would absolutely kill us here if we did it. I'm NOT condemning anything you do as I'm not an EPA scientist but here they'd probably take the truck.

Plus, all local municipalities have a jetter system like yours. Wish they needed one.

J.C.
                    I guess i don't understand. Why would there be a problem with anything we do?

We are simply taking grease from one trap and putting it into a larger one. In addition, they are paid for the grease and oil added to the vat. We have a local company who make fuel out of it. The city and county know what we do with the waste. They are just happy to have someone out there educating these business owners about the importance of maintaining their traps.

There are now steep fines for excessive grease outflow from all business with a trap. To teach this lesson the city shut down the China buffet and MADE them put in a 1500 gallon tank because they constantly disregarded the city's warnings to get their grease out put under control.

After word spread of us putting that in, everyone was calling to get on a maintenance program with us. The local city guys are passing out my card and recommending me because they know we care about keeping things running smooth for the city. I cant tell you enough how important it is to work with the guys at the city and let them know when there are issues they should know about. I always tell them if I have a grease job to jet and it will send a bunch out to their main.

Some guys are too quick to send a bunch of waste out to the city mains and say "its not my problem anymore". Thats not what we do and they appreciate it.

What do you mean about the jetter? You wish they didn't have jetters so you could provide that for them?

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                      I guess i don't understand. Why would there be a problem with anything we do?

We are simply taking grease from one trap and putting it into a larger one. In addition, they are paid for the grease and oil added to the vat. We have a local company who make fuel out of it. The city and county know what we do with the waste. They are just happy to have someone out there educating these business owners about the importance of maintaining their traps.

There are now steep fines for excessive grease outflow from all business with a trap. To teach this lesson the city shut down the China buffet and MADE them put in a 1500 gallon tank because they constantly disregarded the city's warnings to get their grease out put under control.

After word spread of us putting that in, everyone was calling to get on a maintenance program with us. The local city guys are passing out my card and recommending me because they know we care about keeping things running smooth for the city. I cant tell you enough how important it is to work with the guys at the city and let them know when there are issues they should know about. I always tell them if I have a grease job to jet and it will send a bunch out to their main.

Some guys are too quick to send a bunch of waste out to the city mains and say "its not my problem anymore". Thats not what we do and they appreciate it.

What do you mean about the jetter? You wish they didn't have jetters so you could provide that for them?
                      Jetter. I got my threads confused and thought I read how you get alot of business from muni's in this thread but it was another.

Yes, I wish they didn't have their own here as then I could have a way to keep it real busy.

Grease. I'll have to double check but here I think they would interpret the Chinese Restaurant to be a treatment facility and must follow all rules governing such facility. Licenses, permits, records, testing, the works. Even if you had a 10,000 gallon tank to empty into. And if it did not then each pumping/dumping would be violations & fines.

And I believe local health department has required 1000 gal.+ grease traps at all restaurants for some time. Once again, I'll have to check behind myself. We have installed some though.

Looking at dewatering systems currently and longterm needs & goals.

J.C.

Comment

JC, I see what you are saying. I guess for know it is so laid back around here that it seems to be fine. I suppose i should really go beyond the local good ol boys and see what the real ramifications could be if I ran into a hard a## gov. guy or something.

A state inspector may frown on that i suppose.

I will keep a closer eye on my process for this. Perhaps we could dump at night.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Jetter. I got my threads confused and thought I read how you get alot of business from muni's in this thread but it was another.

Yes, I wish they didn't have their own here as then I could have a way to keep it real busy.

Grease. I'll have to double check but here I think they would interpret the Chinese Restaurant to be a treatment facility and must follow all rules governing such facility. Licenses, permits, records, testing, the works. Even if you had a 10,000 gallon tank to empty into. And if it did not then each pumping/dumping would be violations & fines.

And I believe local health department has required 1000 gal.+ grease traps at all restaurants for some time. Once again, I'll have to check behind myself. We have installed some though.

Looking at dewatering systems currently and longterm needs & goals.

J.C.

Comment

Your area is probably ran with more common sense than others. This theoretical sense burns me up sometimes.

Your posts and the way you grow your business and think of new niches are some of my favorites.

Now I'm done with the azzkissing.

J.C.

Comment

This is kind of is along the same lines as what I was complaining about re flood restoration in the referral thread. Here is someone working with the appropriate agencies to get what needs done done. And yet this process would run afoul of innumerable regulations in your area jcs. Lord knows what they'd have to say about me... I AM actually processing waste. But to put all you describe as required in your area in place would drive the cost up amazingly... for what gain? There is something to be said for small towns.

Comment

I would get a hold of a lawyer that works with EPA. law. The EPA inspector told me how I had to do it and when a deferent inspector seen it I lost my licence for pumping and a big fine. Don't ask the EPA how it has to be done have your Lawyer ask. Even the Judge didn't think there was anything wrong, but I had a heck of a time getting the felony charge dropped and I never even had a speeding ticket before.

Comment

Working...
                              X