X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info for the Jetter's

Here is some info that anyone with or looking to build a jetter might find use full. This information was collected from the NASSCO Jetter code of practice manual.

Maximum pressures for pipe in good structural condition
    Material------ PSI
    Asbestos Cement---- 5000
    Brick/masonry ---- 1500
    Clay----- -------- 5000
    Concrete --------- 5000
    Orangeburg/fiber ----1500
    Plastic(PVC,PE) ---- 2600

Flows and Pressure by Hose size
    Hose Diameter-- Max op. Pressure--- Min flow GPM --- Max Flow GPM

.50" ---- 4000 psi----- >12 GPM----- <=25GPM
    .75"----- 3000 psi---- >20 GPM -----<=60GPM
    1.0"----- 3000 psi---- >30 GPM----- <=80GPM
    1.25"---- 2000 psi ---->80 GPM -----<=125GPM
    1.50" ----2000 psi----- >60 GPM -----<=180GPM

Pipe storage Capacity per 20 feet of pipe
    Pipe Diameter----- Gallons of storage
    4" ------7.30
    6"------ 16.5
    8" ------30.0
    10" -----45.8
    12"----- 66.0

Hope this is use full. Ricky

Re: Info for the Jetter's

Yet again, at the risk of looking like an a$$, I have to ask. I don't mind looking foolish as long as I learn something from it.

Why include the pipe capacity? How is pipe capacity relevant to jetting?

I assume it has something to do with draining/vacuuming, but I figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something I should know about jetting.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

At the risk of flooding a home or business when jetting it would help to know I suppose. I am sure there are many other reasons to know as well.

The NASSCO has a lot of great info for those who own jetters.

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      Yet again, at the risk of looking like an a$$, I have to ask. I don't mind looking foolish as long as I learn something from it.

Why include the pipe capacity? How is pipe capacity relevant to jetting?

I assume it has something to do with draining/vacuuming, but I figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something I should know about jetting.
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
        At the risk of flooding a home or business when jetting it would help to know I suppose. I am sure there are many other reasons to know as well.
        The NASSCO has a lot of great info for those who own jetters.
        Gene as Jake said the last thing you want to do is flood somewhere or blow a toilet. It may help choose the size jet compared to pipe you are looking for, also it was a piece of information you don't regularly see, so you never know when you might need it.
        Jake Nassco is a great trade organization to belong to. Their videos and books contain a lot of good information. If anyone wants to look it http://nassco.org

Comment

I will be looking further into them when we get the combo truck here soon. I have been all thru their website too.

Great info! Thanks for sharing.
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I hope that those numbers for pipe storage capacity did not cause any of you to flood out a house!!! They are wrong. The formula for finding volume of a cylinder is .0408 times dia times dia times length in feet. An example would be the 12" pipe. The answer is 117.5 gallons.....NOT 66 gallons.

Comment

The last thing on pipe storage...Is that full,partially full?
              The volume of 4" pipe is .652 Gal per Ft.
              Which then times 20' give us 13.04 (gal)
              And doing the math on the diameter of a cylinder
              gets me to 12.82 gal.So the glass is half full (or so!)
              Btw we use .7854 X diameter sqared(in inches) times length (Ans in CU ft) Times 7.5(Gal in a cu ft.)
              Vette we agree.
              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                I hope that those numbers for pipe storage capacity did not cause any of you to flood out a house!!! They are wrong. The formula for finding volume of a cylinder is .0408 times dia times dia times length in feet. An example would be the 12" pipe. The answer is 117.5 gallons.....NOT 66 gallons.
                The numbers that nassco figured for capacity is based on the finite storage capacity and flow capacity. Which if these conditions are exceeded, then excess water must flow to other outlets. It is basically a guideline to prevent further damage.

Comment

Thanks for claryifying that one...I was definitely curious about that...

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                    The numbers that nassco figured for capacity is based on the finite storage capacity and flow capacity. Which if these conditions are exceeded, then excess water must flow to other outlets. It is basically a guideline to prevent further damage.

So, in other words, what your saying is, If you jet 150 gallons into a 8" at 100' away, and you still have not removed the clog it's time to be on your toes. Any extra water may be back flowing into a basement or blowing through a toilet(I've seen that, Not pretty).?????
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      So, in other words, what your saying is, If you jet 150 gallons into a 8" at 100' away, and you still have not removed the clog it's time to be on your toes. Any extra water may be back flowing into a basement or blowing through a toilet(I've seen that, Not pretty).?????
                      Gene yes if there are other branch lines coming off the line that you are jetting they will start to fill, depending on their length and pitch will determine how long it will take them to reach a point of problem. If you are jetting from the outflow or lowest point back this is something you don't have to worry about.

Comment

good thread for the jetters out there. TTT

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post

yeah... I caught that too; I know 4" holds 2/3 gal/ft so I questioned the others but didn't work them out
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X