Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Fernco Pipe Patch Job

Originally posted by PipePatch View Post
    results,
    the 3" Packer has been used by others for 4", but you will shorten the life of the packer. Keep in mind that the zip ties supplied in the 4" kit may not break everytime while using the 3" packer. Be sure to use the green wire ties.

Gene,
    If your packer doesn't have silver ends with patch guidlines, its not a 3" packer. I'm not sure if you have the old style 4" packer.

www.S1Eonline.com
    I don't see a point in buying a 3" and a 4" packer. If it does the same thing but only shortens the life of the packer, i will just buy a new 3" packer when i need to. It pays for itself on the first job anyway.

I don't want to drag around additional equipment if i don't have to. Why not just market the packer as a 3"-4" packer and do away with the 4" all together. Beef it up to last longer and then we can have a more versatile packer in one piece of equipment. I could not have completed the job going through a small clean out if i had not had the 3" packer.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

jake, i believe that the 3x 4'' packer does not do as good a job on 4'' as a 4'' packer can do.

i think the finished ends might not fully smooth out.

also i don't think they make a 3x4'' that's 4' long.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It does smooth out fine based on my experience. It has the same result as the 4"

As far as length is concerned, I only use the 24" patch kits rather than the 48"

I will finally be set up soon with my lining equipment so I will use that for longer patches when it is necessary.

Rick are you using the system now too?
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

What's the largest line they make this for?

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
            It does smooth out fine based on my experience. It has the same result as the 4"

As far as length is concerned, I only use the 24" patch kits rather than the 48"

I will finally be set up soon with my lining equipment so I will use that for longer patches when it is necessary.

Rick are you using the system now too?
            i was given 2 complete 4'' kits to sample a couple years ago when it was sold via the supply house and their suppliers.

i personally didn't like the push rod/ air delivery system. i couldn't see the 1/2'' sch 80 pvc making it through a comby or 1/4 bend. more so the quick connect air fittings than the pipe.

so i never used it and returned it to the rep.

what i have found is that the pricing is a lot more now than when it was a supply house product. 4'' patch was $200, now it's $300. even the bladder and push rods are a lot more than the pricing from 2 years ago.

still not sold on the push rod deivery system. and if you don't use all of thier products, they don't warranty the patch. you need to buy thier packer, flex link, push rods, regulator, safety cable.

at $65 for a 5' push rod, that gets very expensive for the average run. what's a 20 section of 1/2'' sch. 80 pvc go for? $10-$20? the air quick connects still need to be taped up to prevent snagging and accidental disconnects.

the packer they want $1000. for just seems like all the parts to the system are more expensive than they should be. and at $300. a patch, they get you every time you buy it.

lots of companies make similar products, i know there's better pricing.

when it was sold through the supply house, it was 33%-50% less expensive. same product

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i was given 2 complete 4'' kits to sample a couple years ago when it was sold via the supply house and their suppliers.

i personally didn't like the push rod/ air delivery system. i couldn't see the 1/2'' sch 80 pvc making it through a comby or 1/4 bend. more so the quick connect air fittings than the pipe.

so i never used it and returned it to the rep.

what i have found is that the pricing is a lot more now than when it was a supply house product. 4'' patch was $200, now it's $300. even the bladder and push rods are a lot more than the pricing from 2 years ago.

still not sold on the push rod deivery system. and if you don't use all of thier products, they don't warranty the patch. you need to buy thier packer, flex link, push rods, regulator, safety cable.

at $65 for a 5' push rod, that gets very expensive for the average run. what's a 20 section of 1/2'' sch. 80 pvc go for? $10-$20? the air quick connects still need to be taped up to prevent snagging and accidental disconnects.

the packer they want $1000. for just seems like all the parts to the system are more expensive than they should be. and at $300. a patch, they get you every time you buy it.

lots of companies make similar products, i know there's better pricing.

when it was sold through the supply house, it was 33%-50% less expensive. same product

rick.
              Pushrod system, why not use 1" schd.80 pvc with threaded ends and small airline running up the center? Kinda like the water pressure washer mole from amazing machinery.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Pushrods only need to be paid for once, and you can buy more anytime you want, being a PipePatch rep in Western PA, i have had no issues with the pushrods and guys have had no complaints with them either... The city of Pittsburgh is using PipePatch to fix a lot of laterals (10") with 0 complaints too... just trying to spread positive light on a very well developed product, Fernco did a great job with PipePatch. Guys have also figured out alternatives to placing the packer into place, pulling it rather than pushing it, so if applicable, you can make it work in multiple circumstances...

Eric Melvin
                CF Sales
                CF Manufacturing
                Eric Melvin
                CF Manufacturing
                CF Sales

Comment

Originally posted by EricMelvin01 View Post
                  Pushrods only need to be paid for once, and you can buy more anytime you want, being a PipePatch rep in Western PA, i have had no issues with the pushrods and guys have had no complaints with them either...
                  No complaints here. i've done at least 25 patch jobs with mine and they look like they have plenty of life left to them.

Yes they are a bit pricey but so is trying to work your way around them building things that may/may not work.
                  These work just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
                  It would be nice if they had a locking quick connector to eliminate the need for taping each joint but thats a minor inconvenience that would also add $$ to the rods.

I also use mine to give my camera an extra boost when it doesn't quite want to go the distance.

Hey Eric, I'm also working on something else for the rods. So while your here, what is the max pressure rating for the rods only? I know 28-30psi for patching but what can the rods withstand?
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

not sure for the rods, but the packers have a safety rating of 3x, so a packer will most likely burst around 100psi, i would assume the rods could handle a bit more than 100 psi, no?
                    Eric Melvin
                    CF Manufacturing
                    CF Sales

Comment

3/8" Sch-80 pipe has a rating of 920psi. We have not tested the Pushrods that high. Even though the pipe withstands that high of a psi rating, be careful of the fittings we press on. I have attached a Pushrod to 100 gallon air compressor, with the air pressure near 130 with no leaks. I used the Pushrod as an extension with an air nozzle on it to blow debris form concrete cracks.

Chad Miller
                      Source One Environmental

Comment

Thanks Chad, you the man
                        Last edited by EricMelvin01; 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM.
                        Eric Melvin
                        CF Manufacturing
                        CF Sales

Comment

I used them once at around the same psi to blow packed rust apart that was blocking a vent. Then used the shop vac with a sump hose to suck up the loose rust.

But in that situation the rods are not really holding 100psi since the air is just going through?????

For what I'm thinking the air would start and stop so at times the rods would have to withstand XXX for psi.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I went up to get trained on using the PipePatch system. I tell you all what, they are a great bunch of guys there in Michigan. After using the system up there I am very impressed by the quality of the push rods and packers and the patch kits. As soon as we get enough $$$ saved up we are getting the system. I will go up there again and bring a co-worker to get trained and learn to use the elbow patch kits as well. I have plenty of jobs that I can use the system on, just no capital to invest just yet. We are still catching up.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My old school garage / shop building says never use pvc for air line. We always used copper or steel for the shop airlines. Have you ever seen an exploded section of PVC? we are talking shards.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                                My old school garage / shop building says never use pvc for air line. We always used copper or steel for the shop airlines. Have you ever seen an exploded section of PVC? we are talking shards.
                                yea for holding constant very high pressure.... copper and steel is a must

(pipepatch regulator blows off at 30 psi) ive never heard of anyone exploding a pushrod when pushing or patching... now if you used the rods for something different and put 900 psi through it, you might explode a rod...
                                Eric Melvin
                                CF Manufacturing
                                CF Sales

Comment

Working...
                                X