X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Fernco Pipe Patch Job

We were called to patch a cast iron line behind a bar at an American Legion in the middle of nowhere. It was a 4" tee on its back to which a triple compartment sink and a ice machine run into. Over the years the constant drips have caused a hole in the bottom of the tee.

Our task was to put in a liner to cover the hole in pipe and allow the tee connection to still be used as a drain. Even though this is an improper connection we agreed to the task.

I have included a few pics to show how creative we had to get. As you will see in the pics, we had limited access to this spot. We had to shove in the packer one end at a time thru the tee and remove it thru the 2" clean out in the side of the floor drain.

Hopefully the pics will tell the story of what we did. We used a 3" packer and a 4" patch kit. There is no need to purchase a 4" packer despite what a sales rep. for the product may say. We jetted the line first and vacuumed out the point of repair.

The whole process took only 3 hrs.
    Attached Files
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Interesting Fernco Pipe Patch Job

Here are a few more pics and as you can see we were able to pull the packer out thru the clean out. We did push it in from the tee because it would not fit with the patch kit on the packer. It worked out great!
    Attached Files

Comment

jake, can you explain the 2 notches you placed in the liner?

are they for the tee so it doesn't cover the inlet/ branch?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

We centered it in the inlet of the tee and when it expanded it opened up so as to avoid cutting it in after the fact. It worked out well. It was easy to try on this one because of the measure of control we had in this situation.

We have discussed the possibility of lining a mainline and lateral tee connection this way to avoid reinstatement later. Not sure how we would position it from a long distance though. We will have to see what we can come up with.

We have 2 6" patches to do tomorrow if it does not rain. I will be posting video and pics when finished. We will use a 6" thru 10" placement packer.

Comment

can you use this type of repair on pvc. It might be more cost effective than point of repair demo and replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
            can you use this type of repair on pvc. It might be more cost effective than point of repair demo and replacement.
            Yes to PVC, Orangeburg, clay, cast Iron, Asbestos Cement, pretty much anything.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes, this repair will bond to pvc and pretty much any other type of pipe you can think of.

Originally posted by JW3 View Post

Comment

Jake,
                Whats the OD of your 3" packer when deflated?
                Yours looks much smaller then mine and when patching, smaller is better.

Come to think of it, I think mine is a 3"-4" packer.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gene,

My packer is a 3" packer and the OD deflated is about 1 1/2". It's got the silver ends on it. Are yours black? If so it must be the 3"-4" packer.

I was told that mine could not be used for 4" but it works fine for making 4" patches.

We will be doing a 6" patch tomorrow and another on Friday. I will post pics and video.

Comment

How much can you charge for a job like that?

Comment

jrsaltz,
                      the 3" Packer has been used by others for 4", but you will shorten the life of the packer. Keep in mind that the zip ties supplied in the 4" kit may not break everytime while using the 3" packer. Be sure to use the green wire ties.

Gene,
                      If your packer doesn't have silver ends with patch guidlines, its not a 3" packer. I'm not sure if you have the old style 4" packer.

www.S1Eonline.com
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by PipePatch; 04-21-2009, 09:16 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        Jake,
                        Whats the OD of your 3" packer when deflated?
                        Yours looks much smaller then mine and when patching, smaller is better.

Come to think of it, I think mine is a 3"-4" packer.
                        Gene hasnt any one told you its not the size of the packer that counts!
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                          Gene hasnt any one told you its not the size of the packer that counts!
                          It's not so much the length, it's the girth I have a problem with
                          I don't want to be puttin' my 3" packer in a 6" hole. That would be kind of like throwing a hot dog down a hallway

Comment

Gene,
                            we have designed a 2" packer. we have 2 types, one does an 18" patch the other does a 12" patch. the shorter one is used to inflate in a fitting. when the nose hits the fitting, you inflate. the patch is placed about one inch from the nose end of the packer.

another launch we have is the elbow patch. we can patch 45 and 90 degree bends!

Comment

Originally posted by PipePatch View Post
                              Gene,
                              we have designed a 2" packer. we have 2 types, one does an 18" patch the other does a 12" patch. the shorter one is used to inflate in a fitting. when the nose hits the fitting, you inflate. the patch is placed about one inch from the nose end of the packer.

another launch we have is the elbow patch. we can patch 45 and 90 degree bends!
                              When you say "a 2" packer" are you saying it's for a 2" pipe, or the packer it's self is 2" and can be used on a 4" pipe?

Are you guy's working on a lateral tie in patch?

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X