Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please HELP !!!Septic systems and dry wells

Complex problems becoming an issue in trying to buy a home that uses a
    septic system with dry well. Would like to talk with someone over the phone, if possible.

Re: Please HELP !!!Septic systems and dry wells

No talking over the phone for me.

What's the problem?

J.C.

Comment

I really want to buy this house BUT.
      The septic system is 35 years old. It uses a dry well to dump in to. The well is located a few feet onto someone else's property and will be deeded for such use after we buy the property. BUT
      If anything goes wrong with the system we could not have work done on the dry well if necessary.
      If the septic tank were to go bad, what are the chances that work would have to be done on the dry well also. All things being equal, how long sould a dry well outlast a septic tank.

Comment

Where is the home, which county?

Comment

Northfield NH Grafton County

Comment

O.K. I need some learning here- -what is a dry well? We have septic systems down here in S.Ga. but I've not heard of "dry wells". Could it be what we refer to as the "septic tank"? Thanks, David

Comment

steelebob: I don't know if terms are the same in your part of the country as in mine, but if they are, the drywell is the drainage tank that the liquids go to after the " processing job" is done in the septic tank. The septic tank (depending on the material it is made of) if properly maintained can last forever. The drywell, on the other hand is more apt to present the problem (the seepage holes plug up etc.) Around here, drywells (sometimes called cesspools) are no longer allowed. Drain fields or mound systems are the current allowable systems. Does this property you are interested in have room for either of these? ( An area of about 2000 sq, ft. + or -) Talk to the local zoning people before you buy! It could save major headaches later. By the way --that system is doing very well if it is 35 years old and doesn't have a problem. HTH

Comment

Agree with all thats been said, and want to add that how well and how long that drywell continues to work will depend dramatically on composition of the surrounding soils and on whether the tank was pumped regularly or not. Worst case you'll be putting in a field or a mound (well, second worst... worst would be no room for a field or mound, as has already been said).
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                X