X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machines

Which Drain cleaning machine is the most versatile. If you were going to buy only one. Which would it be.

Re: Machines

What type of work are you looking to do? I am pretty sure that you will not find one machine that does it all.

Comment

If I had to just buy ONE and only one it would be the K-60 with small and large cable.
      But this is not a one machine game.
      If just starting out and funds where low then a k-60 followed by a ridgid K-39AF for tubs etc.
      Then I would buy a Big drum machine to complete the arsenal.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

One machine would severely limit your drain cleaning potential. You could buy a light weight mid size machine and just buy 3 drums with 3 different sizes of cable, but its a pain to constantly change drums back and forth. Also it wouldn't fit in some tight places very well. 3 machines would really be the minimum if you want to be competitive. 1 large mainline machine with 5/8" cable minimum, a mid size with 1/2' cable, and a small machine with 3/8" and 1/4" drums for sinks, tubs, showers,etc. I like Gorlitz and Spartan machines but Ridgid has some good ones the guys here like alot. Good luck.

Comment

2 of everything, right rick?

Vince

Comment

I agree with Highland

Sorry ridgid but if I had to make a choice

http://www.gorlitz.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=14

For $1752 you can get

GO 62 machine
            100 feet of 5/8 (can add a reel to reach 200ft)
            80 feet of 1/2
            90 feet of 3/8

It's midsized for most applications

I prefer the GO50 for 2 inch because it's lighter and the GO68 for 3 to 4 inch because the cable is longer (150ft of 11/16)

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

The Ridgid K-60, Ridgid K-50, General Wire I-95, & Rothenberger 650 sectional machines are the single most versatile machines in the business in my opinion. All can run from small drums for sinks/tubs up to 7/8" open wind cables for larger lines.

Power can vary so check the specs on them. An I-95 can be 1/3hp or 1/2hp depending on how you order it for example. Also, check your area for service. Ridgid will probably be the best as they have large market penetration and "The Forum" members to help. Even better. None seem too complicated to me and alot of mechanically inclined people could probably repair most of them.

I own the I-95 and like it more & more every time I use it. I'm not a full time drain cleaner though. If you want to run with the big guys and/or do it full time then you need many machines in my opinion. I don't own and have never operated the other machines I list so I can't say which is better than the other. May just be a preference.

If you go full time then you'll probably need or want:

Sectional.
              Two or more drums.
              Drain gun/top snake.
              Jetter or two.

But if you're a small % drain cleaner like myself then any of the machines I listed should do fine for you. Good amount of versatility for single machines.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

the topic continues..........just ask RICK what machine he likes! i bet he has an answer. lol

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                  the topic continues..........just ask RICK what machine he likes! i bet he has an answer. lol
                  you know this has come up many times, and many times i give the same answer.

the k-60 is the 1 machine that will clean a 1.5'' line all the way to a 6'' root infested line.

don't believe me, just ask fred (ceo of ridge tool co.)

in the mean time, there are plenty of threads on drain cleaning.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks! I searched for the thread and came up with many threads. I Just don't have all day to read posts.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                      Thanks! I searched for the thread and came up with many threads. I Just don't have all day to read posts.
                      You must be very thankfull to be so busy.

Comment

I can't leave it alone; if I only have one machine, it'll be a jetter.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          You must be very thankfull to be so busy.
                          I am thankful. To have a job and to have work.
                          I did residential new construction. That dried up... so now I am doing installations and every once in awhile drain cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            I am thankful. To have a job and to have work.
                            I did residential new construction. That dried up... so now I am doing installations and every once in awhile drain cleaning.
                            Tract or custom?
                            Remodel?
                            What's instalations?

Adam

Comment

We did what the builder called semi custom. Which were expensive tracts.
                              2700 sq ft to 3800 sq ft. Remodels and repipes in between starts.
                              Installations are when someone goes to Lowes or Sears or HD and buy a water heater or toilet or whatever and the can't put it in themselves. They pay me to do it for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X