No announcement yet.

Are you sharp enough??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you sharp enough??

Do you guys sharpen your cutters?

Teeth on the sawtooth cutters, edges on the 2 and 4 blades?

I sharpen my root tools with a dremel and they work better IMO.

Your thoughts?

Re: Are you sharp enough??

I try to run a big enough blade to scrape the side of the pipe, but I've never sharpened the blades.

Didn't think it was necessary, but I've been wrong before.

I paint my blades black to see where they are being worn when I very first start the unclog, and yes I sharpen them slowly and use water to keep them cool while doing so.
      Seattle Drain Service

I sharpen mine with a Dremel when they get dull, but I've noticed they don't hold an edge as well, once sharpened.

Cuda what do you use to sharpen with water?
        Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-13-2009, 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

I use a pair of sharktooth cutters together on the same bolt.
          I have an old one on the outside to use as a sacrificial part and then the good one on the inside which doesn't get worn away by the constant wearing on the inside of the earthernware pipe.
          I haven't had any troubles with this set up and the inside cutters stays sharper for a lot longer.

I've never bothered... maybe I should... but then I never clean my cables either lol.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

I also sharpen my blades with a dremel carbide cutter. I used to use the pink chainsaw sharpener bits but found it took to much time. The carbide bit cuts so quick that it doesn't even heat the metal up.

Last edited by gear junkie; 02-14-2009, 12:24 AM.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

I use a $32 carbide bit on my Milwaukee self-feed bits and they seem to do a pretty good job.

Thanks to nails, I'm not ever going to have my bits professionally sharpened, ever.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

i too sharpen my cutters, but with a die grinder. much faster than a dremel.

also do the black paint to see the wear and scraping marks.

sears sells a wet tool grinder for about $30. it runs slow and cool.

phoebe it is