Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you work in Dialysis Facilities heads up.

We had a call yesterday for a clogged sink drain in a medical facility that does Dialysis. We arrived and did our normal survey. We were shown the sink that was the problem. We also noticed not to far away multiple small lines running into what looked like a standpipe. It appeared that they would be on the same line as the sink. We asked and were told they are the same line and have an issue as well. The small lines were the waste lines from multiple Dialysis Machines. The sink had a dispenser above it for Renalin Cold Sterilant. This is used to reprocess dialyzers after each use. This Renalin sterilant is not nice stuff. The materials that are incompatible with Renalin include heavy metals such as iron, copper, copper alloys, brass, and aluminum. Contact with latex rubber, neoprene, and Buna-N (nitrile rubber) should also be avoided. Materials such as acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), acrylic, Delrin, ethylene-propylene-diene monomer (EP or EPDM), glass, high-density polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polysulfone, silicone rubber, 302 and 316 stainless steels, Teflon, and Viton are compatible. Equipment used in handling Renalin, including drains, sinks, and fume hoods, should be made of these materials. If a chlorinated product was to mix with this stuff it would produce chlorine gas. This stuff is supposed to dilute with water, but if no water is used to wash it down it won't dilute. So if you work in any type of medical facility don't be affraid to ask about what they do or use. It's for your safety.

Re: If you work in Dialysis Facilities heads up.

any type of medical facility
    I think you should add morgues and funeral homes to our list also, and any facility with similar (medical or biological) activity.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
    X