X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jib Cranes?

I use a winch mounted on the front end of my full floor storage to pull my drum machine up and in the van,,i put 1 extra set of stair climmers on my drum and have a removable roller fairlead in the back of the van ..
    push a button it climes in and out
    my back loves it

Comment

It arrived today, fast! Now I have to figure out the installation, I'll probably have it professionally done, as I don't have time for this crap.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
        Mr. Hebert, I'm quite familiar with that name as I grew up near a family of Hebert's here in S. Ga. As far as Cajun, my cousin married a girl from just outside Louisiana, she says she is 100% real coon-***. All others- -there is a GMC Savannah van I've seen around town lately that has a bucket rig on top, bucket hangs off the back. It's labeled for one of those companies that contract to change light bulbs in signage and has "Sylvania" in it also. I followed it to the local Cracker Barrel one day to see how that van worked with the bucket rig. DUH, dumb me, outriggers stored inside, and underneath, out of sight. Damn neat trick. The outriggers extend, then the right cylinder inside pushes the right outrigger down, hinged at the left, and vice-versa. The front has stabilizers such as a motorhome does. Push the buttons, everything does it's thing. He climbed up the ladder on the back, got into the bucket and went completely 90 degrees to the truck to show me it was stable, but he tries to work from the back of the truck. All he does is go around changing light bulbs in about ten (10) counties. Not bad, home by 5 or 6 even. I'll bet a van like this could be used to transfer a heavy drain cleaner from the ground into the van or ground to the roof, if affordable. Thanks, David
        Yeah I'm only 50% coon-a$$ on my dad's side, 25% Italian, then like a mix of other things. A mutt you could say.

The Hebert grandparents were both cajun french. When my grandmother would speak I had to ask her to slow down because of her strong cajun accent.

I wonder what the weight limit is on one of those lifts. The only down side is you have to park close to the house for it to work.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Been using this model for years, $229.00 and what's great about it?

It gets people's attention wondering WTF it is, which is pretty cool given that if it's being noticed, so's your truck.

That hitch works universally for loading heavy stuff into your truck, along with being able to pinch a water heater in the box new or an old one to get rid off. Pinching the box allows me to get a heater to and fro without damaging it and getting rid of the old one a breeze.

Had no clue what this thread was about until I clicked on it.

Here's what I did on mine, logo'd it to get people's attention

Click image for larger version

Name:	42ebc7bcedc95dc3fedb034df8a83fec.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5820

Under $300, and the only reason why I had to get a second one is because I had a short in the wire to the battery, and fried the electric winch motor. Plus I towed my big truck by hooking to the lift and bent it....so 3 clams wasn't a huge loss.

I have a hyrdraulic lift cart that I throw the hitch-lift on in just a few minutes if I need it off the truck.

Being that you're in a van, you'd have to really watch how you approach one's driveway, otherwise you'll be grinding the linkage.
          Thanks Dunbar you made up my mind to order this can't beat the price if I get 2 years out of it I will be happy!
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

this is the style that i've used in 4 different vehicles over the past 20 years.

2 gmc vans, a gmc w4500 and my present sprinter.

the lift is a harbor freight model with a hydraulic jack and a telescoping mast. i've converted the one in my 4500 to an electric winch. i'll be doing the same with my sprinter.

the hoist is rated for 1000# at the shortest mast extension and 500# at the longest mast extension. as long as the base is properly bolted through the floor and secured to the frame, it's fine.

this particular photo shows a 75 gallon lift from last week.

monday i'll have to lift my 18h.p. jetter into the sprinter.

for $120 on sale, you can't go wrong. i've used them for everything from my jetter, to k-7500 snake, appliances, back flow assemblies, even for superman rides for the kids

what makes the lift convenient is the ability to adjust the reach, angle and cable lifting and lowering. the upper mast assemble also removes from the base in a second as it just rides in the 3'' pipe mast.

rick.

Attached Files
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-13-2009, 12:17 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I installed the short Harbor Freight in the back of one of my pickups knowing I was going to be disappointed. I ended up surprised at how well it held up.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't know or really have a use for one but does anyone make an
                extend-able trolley hoist system which could be extended out the open
                rear doors of a van and have a small chainfall or electric hoist hanging
                from it? Something with 500# capacity that extended out past the rear
                bumper by 30" or so would let you lift most items. And you would not have
                that jib crane in your way when its not in use as everything is overhead.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bob, i actually made one for my old 3500 van. it was fine until you needed to lift a heater and lost all the head room.

the advantage with my lift is i can overlift the heater higher and then push the bottom inside the truck, lower the lift below the 6' height and swing it inside the 6'4'' interior.

this gives me the ability to stand up 75 gallon heaters.

when i made the trolley system, i used a heavy duty track with rollers. attachend the track to the roof ribs.

unistrut makes a roller system for their track too. not sure about 500# but it's a start.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I cut a piece of unistrut into a full rack on one of my covered utility beds. There was just enough room between the top of the enclosure and the bottom of the rack for one of those small Harbor Freight 4X5 trailers. If I need to haul something I would roll the trailer back and unhook the tongue from the trolley system and hook it up to the ball hitch. When I was doing with the trailer I would hook the tongue back on the trolley system and roll it back under the rack.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      bob, i actually made one for my old 3500 van. it was fine until you needed to lift a heater and lost all the head room.

the advantage with my lift is i can overlift the heater higher and then push the bottom inside the truck, lower the lift below the 6' height and swing it inside the 6'4'' interior.

this gives me the ability to stand up 75 gallon heaters.

when i made the trolley system, i used a heavy duty track with rollers. attachend the track to the roof ribs.

unistrut makes a roller system for their track too. not sure about 500# but it's a start.

rick.
                      Good idea Rick, I was sure one of you had done this if there wasn't something commercially available. Even with the Sprinter and the higher ceiling you still find the loss of headroom a problem huh?

BTW, that large photo in a previous post sure made a mess out of this thread for me. For some reason it did not resize and it makes the page wider than my screen (24" monitor no less). I wonder if its just me or is anyone else seeing that.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

BTW, that large photo in a previous post sure made a mess out of this thread for me. For some reason it did not resize and it makes the page wider than my screen (24" monitor no less). I wonder if its just me or is anyone else seeing that.
                        I have a 26" monitor and was wondering what I did to have to move on the screen didn't even think of the picture size.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Good idea Rick, I was sure one of you had done this if there wasn't something commercially available. Even with the Sprinter and the higher ceiling you still find the loss of headroom a problem huh?

the headroom is approx. 6'4'', but the door opening is still only 6' tall. if i used the trolley system with any kind of hoist, i would be lucky to clear a 5'-5'6'' item.

the set up i use allows me to lift the heater higher than the opening and swing the bottom in as i lower the winch. then i can lower the boom and swing it into the 6'4'' van to move it furter in if needed.

sorry about the photo. i usually shoot in lo res. this one accidently snuck in a higer res.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Your picture was so wide it made my 24" screen freak out as well. Try this software.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              Thanks Dunbar you made up my mind to order this can't beat the price if I get 2 years out of it I will be happy!

When you get it all put together, I'll show you the modifications I made on mine that helps out with loading.

Are you working out of a truck like the picture shows?
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                                When you get it all put together, I'll show you the modifications I made on mine that helps out with loading.

Are you working out of a truck like the picture shows?
                                Right on! Yea I use a PU and canopy. Thanks
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X