X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the BEST plunger

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    See,
    This is the post I was looking for last night.I figured you'd be all over this one early.
    never made it on the forum last night

big long day and was a short week with a weekend get a way. same today.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
      What's wrong with the accordion type plunger?

Simon
      I had one for about a week... If you use proper plunging technique you will bend them where the accordion part meets the handle part (where they screw together) making them worthless...

Comment

It's always fun to take a plunger in and clear it while the HO protests that they tried that and it didn't work. I tell 'em it's all in the wrist. Actually, it's all in pushing down slowly and pulling back abruptly that gets it unclogged. Pushing just clogs it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
          What's wrong with the accordion type plunger?

Simon
          Like Easy said, not flexible enough to get a good seal around the bowl IMO

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
          Call me crazy,

I will not use a plunger in the customers house...

When they have to call a plumber typically they do not want to be made the fool.

When I get called in there is generally a well used plunger laying close by, I feel that they called me because I have a better mouse trap, Stool Auger, and the use of this tool justifies the expense of my time with the customer. I have always attributed my success to the fact I never make my customers feel less intelligent than myself, even the renters. I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, but I feel that there is no place for a plunger in our tool arsenal.
          There is a time and place for plungers IMO, I still use them on bathtubs on drum traps along with my Water Ram. The back and forth action works well.

I always auger stopped up commodes even if the customers auger is sitting right there. At least they can see the technique I use. Sometimes, though, a plunger works better than an auger to remove an object from a commode.

Comment

a toilet auger
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

In My travels to find the Perfect " Power plunger 520 ", I failed. tried Pace, cal steam,
              large hardware store, lumber Yard. Will order a couple on line.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Are we going backwards in time?

I was hired as a licensed professional to do more than what the customer attempted and failed to do.

Plunging is the worst method of clearing a drain because you're not mechanically clearing the drain to know otherwise.

Just because the water flows doesn't mean it's a clear drain.

We owe it to our customers for what we charge to do the job with talent, expertise, and skill...

not luck.

I took my plungers off the truck 6 years ago. Only used the plunger once and I still had to go and get my cable machines to do it right.

Of course; if you're running around town for $20 and looking for smiles, by all means, keep using the damn plunger.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  In My travels to find the Perfect " Power plunger 520 ", I failed. tried Pace, cal steam,
                  large hardware store, lumber Yard. Will order a couple on line.

Is this for that customer throwing everything down the drain?

I say it's time for some waterboarding till they come into compliance.

Comment

I believe in using toilet augers because they work more thoroughly and the customer feels that a "real" profesional's tool was used for their money. Just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                      I believe in using toilet augers because they work more thoroughly and the customer feels that a "real" profesional's tool was used for their money. Just my experience.

Correct; it's a device that costs more than $5.99 and found at Kmart.

Comment

sorry, but plunger reeks of handyman...
                        sigpic
                        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

a plunger has never scratched a toilet. never, never, never.

i always ask the customer before i come out if they tried a plunger. their answer is yes, but it won't go down.

i ask if their kids have dropped toys into the toilet? typically not.

ok, i'll go there and use my plunger on 95% of all toilet stoppages. and 95% of the time it will clear the toilet in a few tries.

the customer is always amazed i got it with a plunger. they are never upset or feel like they could have done that. they couldn't and i asked them to try over the phone.

i succeeded with no mess, no scratches and no rusty bent up auger.

in fact there was a time i was going to give away plumber rick plungers to my customers. but the printing and purchase price of the ones i wanted were close to $18.00 each in lots of 100. i passed on the idea and now just tell them where to purchase the proper plunger.

i have too many real jobs to worry about a stopped up toilet emergency. if my customer can clear their own toilet, then i can concentrate on the real emergency work.

there is nothing unprofessional about using a plunger properly.
                          i've never lost a job because i used a plunger. i don't charge a full call for a stopped up toilet. if it's a 5 minute job, i charge $45.00. they're thrilled and i can move onto real work.

if the plunger doesn't get it, chances are the toilet is not the issue. or the toilet needs to be pulled. if the wax is already leaking, it's not in the toilet.

i have a collection of at least 5 worn out, kinked. rusted, bent augers.

i have 2 worn out plungers. yet the plungers have done 95% of my toilets. you figure out what works and what is all show.

i know we've discussed this in the past and the plunger was the tool of choice on a toilet stoppage.

the proper plunger is the key to success. the proper plunger is to toilet stoppages as the k-60 is to drains

you want the first roundup contest?

have a series of toilet stoppages and pick your tool of choice. the plunger will cream the auger.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

here's my favorites.

i thought those accordion type were lamp shades.

Vince
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dunbar,E Z BIG BOY ! We ain't gonna force Ya to use one! I hardly do any drain work at all.
                              Over the years I've read of Ricks success with this STOOL TOOL and want the best.
                              Notice the handle " TOOLAHOLIC " I love collecting tools . I admit this,but it sure is nice having them all. I'll keep one of these with the drain machines and the other in My home.
                              I have enough confidence in My self, that I'm not threatened what any man has to say about My new shiny 520
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I keep a small one handy that gets used to open up floor drains after I pop a main line open to shoo the poops back down the line.

Comment

Working...
                                X