X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Going To Laugh @ Me. Trust Me.

Provided you have the theoredical knowledge/expertice, would it be possible to make a jetter out of one of those cheap power washers?

now i now some of you are swearing at me right now.

believe me, it wouldn't be the first time i've heard "Fard'gin Vince".

i wouldn't expect it to last very long (probably made in China), but yu know what i'm say'in?

Vince

Re: Your Going To Laugh @ Me. Trust Me.

I have a jetter hose for my power washer, I bought the washer from Northern http://www.northerntool.com/ a number of years ago, and then bought the foot valve and hose off the net and some matching nozzles,

and for smaller things it works well, I use a quick connect type connectors, on the hose makes a slick way to change or add hoses and or change to the jeting hose (also I bought a reel for the jetter hose),
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Vince, given the theoredical knowledge/expertice virtually anything is possible. also given enough time and money anything is possible. but the short answer is YES. how effective it would be is anybody's guess

"Fard'gin Vince". now that's funny

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Let me give you a quote:

Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I made a jetter out of a pressure washer but it wasnt a cheap one, the good thing is that most of the cost is in hoses,reels, and adapters which you can always use on other jetters ( i think?)
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Vince,

My tool of choice in 2" and 1 1/2" lines of pvc, abs, copper, or cast iron is a 2gpm electric jetter that is a modified pressure washer. Not so good in anthing with threaded fittings such as galvanized or black pipe. It is difficult to make more than one bend in these as the bends are so tight and as as I have the lip of the next threaded in pipe to jump and the bend of the fitting makes it so my nozzle gets stuck on the lip.

I've used this to open frozen 4" lines where I have to catch water until I get flow as 2gpm is easier to manage than 6. With hot water I have cut a flow path in 30' of ice in one 12gal wet vac full. Once I have it flowing I go back and remove the rest of the ice with the bigger machine.

A jetter IS a pressure washer, just with different hose and a nozzle on the end.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

here i was thinking that i was the only one that has thinking patterns of this sort.

Vince

for long runs or fixture drains that have alot of bends inthem consider using an electrical fish tape wired or clamped in unison with a 1/4 or 1/8" plastic thaw tube.

also, never underestimate the usage of the string trick when turning corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                here i was thinking that i was the only one that has thinking patterns of this sort.

Vince

for long runs or fixture drains that have alot of bends inthem consider using an electrical fish tape wired or clamped in unison with a 1/4 or 1/8" plastic thaw tube.

also, never underestimate the usage of the string trick when turning corners.
                Thats what I do/use (fish tape). I just use the fastener of Gods (duct tape). It works good on ice but I'm not sure how good it would be as far as cleaning the pipe??????
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

vince, as alex mentioned, a jetter is basically a modified pressure washer. but on smaller machines, a pulsation valve will help you get past the tight bends and pipe.

fortunately a foot pedal will also help you jump the hose. a pulsation valve will only adapt to a quality pump. typically not found on cheap units.

what to look for in an electric jetter.

a 1.5-2 h.p. motor. remember that a 2h.p will probably trip a 20 amp breaker under load.

a real name brand pump with a brass head. not aluminum. and not a vertical shaft or axial pump.

my electric units are 2 h.p at 2.1 gpm 1500 psi. this is about the max. you can get out of a 2 h.p.

to me, gpm is more important than psi.

my very first jetter is still in use and does a better job than i ever anticipated. i even taped the head and added a bypass/ pulsation valve. after i built this electric one, the ball stated to roll and i moved up to gas units. that was a good 8 pressure washers ago

as mentioned, the foot valve and hoses are interchangeable for anything in the future. just up-size the nozzles to match the pump flow.

why don't you list your possible choices/ specs and we'll help you pick the winner.

keep in mind 1.5''-2'' kitchen and laundry is the max. for a good electric unit.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I ordered a kit from amazingmachinery.com for 318.00 I got everything needed to use pressure washer as jetter.
                    Included was 100' 1/4" hose, hose reel with stand, control valve, 5' jumper hose a bag with every possible adapter one could need, and 3 nozzles. I used it on a 3" line I have been having a problem with for the past 3 years. Jetted it and it is working great.
                    Pressure washer is a Karcher 2400 psi, 2.5 gpm with 5 hp Honda engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald A View Post
                      I ordered a kit from amazingmachinery.com for 318.00 I got everything needed to use pressure washer as jetter.
                      Included was 100' 1/4" hose, hose reel with stand, control valve, 5' jumper hose a bag with every possible adapter one could need, and 3 nozzles. I used it on a 3" line I have been having a problem with for the past 3 years. Jetted it and it is working great.
                      Pressure washer is a Karcher 2400 psi, 2.5 gpm with 5 hp Honda engine.
                      Anyone else ever order from this site?
                      Prices are pretty low for pressure washers and accessories and free shipping to lower 48.

I wonder about the quality???
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

not to rob the thread but i am looking for a new nozzle for my jetter the specs on my pump says its 3500 psi and 4gpm but with 200' of 3/8" hose it will fill up up 5 gallon bucket in 54 seconds so im confused any ideas for some new nozzles? and my hose says its 3/8" but the threads are i think 1/2" npt? does that make any sense?
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                          not to rob the thread but i am looking for a new nozzle for my jetter the specs on my pump says its 3500 psi and 4gpm but with 200' of 3/8" hose it will fill up up 5 gallon bucket in 54 seconds so im confused any ideas for some new nozzles? and my hose says its 3/8" but the threads are i think 1/2" npt? does that make any sense?

The pump is 4gpm at a specific rpm; you may be turning it faster than that for any number of reasons. I'd trust your test more than the nameplate. Most any of the nozzle mfrs will be able to drill whatever they make that you like such that it is appropriate for your flow and psi. I like Aquamole for non-rotating, non-specific purpose nozzles. I like warthog for a rotating nozzle, and at 5gpm you might just barely be able to run one. I was favorably impressed by the root ranger demo at the roundup, but have yet to buy one. You may well have 1/2" theads on your hose... get a coupling of a known size that theads on there and find out.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                            I would recommend aquamole.com. We called there and spoke to Neal. He was very helpful, took time to explain things, and recommended a head based on our systems specs. I am also new to this and found that his time, attention, and knowledge very useful. By the way I found them by researching old threads here..thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                              Provided you have the theoredical knowledge/expertice, would it be possible to make a jetter out of one of those cheap power washers?

now i now some of you are swearing at me right now.

believe me, it wouldn't be the first time i've heard "Fard'gin Vince".

i wouldn't expect it to last very long (probably made in China), but yu know what i'm say'in?

Vince
                              Not sure what size drain lines you intend on using it for so that would make a difference. I am in the same boat as you though, we are building our own jetter (should have it together within a week...just waiting on the high pressure reels) and I found a ton of info here in old posts. This led me to upgrade what we were going to originally build.

My question to you would be what is your budget. The system we are building is going to cost about $1300-$1400. I think that is very reasonable for what we are going to end up with. Consider sources like craigslist. We bought a used pressure washer (16hp, 3000psi, 5gpm) for $750. The rest of the stuff was bought new online. Our system will have 50' of 3/8" feeder hose (to get from motor to cart) and 200' of 1/4" hose for jetting, heads by aquamole and a high pressure ball valve at the reel. A comparable system assembled by others would run between $4k-$8k.

We will be targeting grease lines in restaurants and such (3"-4").

If you already have the pressure washer and want to experiment the kit from amaingmachinery that DonaldA mentioned doesn't look bad. I know that northertool also sells a 90' jetter hose w/head for $100. If you don't have the pressure washer yet you may want to build a better system like we did.

My thinking is if you go too cheap and are replacing pumps and other parts regualarly what are you saving?

My best advice would be to research old posts here and ask questions, the guys here are great in that regard and it helped me a ton. Thanks guys.
                              Last edited by youngsplumbing; 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X