Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When even a cable...

can't get the job done.

I got a call this morning about a shower drain that plugs every 3 months without fail, after chemicals or roto rooter 3 months and it plugs up.

I ask the owner the age of the house, 45 years he says, at this point I tell him 3 hours max including the 30 foot crawl, and I can guarantee the fix, no more plugs. I already know what I'm gonna find.

I load up a small box of fgts and under the house I go and crawl till I find this...

Whomever did the remodel went the lazy road and halfazzed the job, thats a 2" X 1 1/2" fernco going the wrong way, in talking to the owner they had emphasized that the job be done right, this was done 5 years ago.

This is what I left behind me as I headed for the crawl space hatch...

sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Re: When even a cable...

looks much better
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Nice floor joist notching !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Nice floor joist notching !
        thats not a notch thats milwaulkies new 4" 1/2" square self feed bit
        Mike

Comment

looks like that used to be a tub with that 1/2" plywood patch. so that notch is the original plumber. who needs inspections?
          Mike

Comment

In 1964 there was not much going on in the field of administrative authority in these parts, the first notch, near the galvanized tee was original, the second notch was 2004. The thing I don't understand is the second notch shows that they had a sawzall under there and they still didn't finish the job.
            sigpic
            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

u&i, not to pick on you, but a fernco/ unshielded coupling is not legal within the structure of the home. underground, outside yes.

and connecting to a hub of the old leaded 45 is not an approved connection.

i know it works, but is it code approved?

i too have seen many showers that got new 2'' drains done the same way.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have used a Ty Seal in these applications. It is made by Tyler pipe it is a neoprene gasket that fits in the hub around the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  thats not a notch thats milwaulkies new 4" 1/2" square self feed bit

Looks like Dunbar has competition for best line of the week

Hope You don't mind Haycad , I'll add this one to My wise A$$ comments file
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Bevel the end of the pipe good ,a little grease, and it will slide in that ty seal with little effort..

Comment

Rick, not to pick back but this is Oregon not California and we plumb UPC with Oregon Amendments...

I realize that there is no way to tell, but that pipe is bottomed out in the cast hub so there will not be any sagging, the fernco is only there as a seal not support. Realistically the best thing to do is oakum and lead wool, but as I was crawling along the main I found many lead joints that were seeping and if I was to go after this one joint with the spoons I would have to go after them all, home owner would not have approved.

I would be interested in the ty seal system though as I am always interested in a better mouse trap, gonna have to google it.
                      sigpic
                      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I agree with the others about the donut gaskets. Fernco makes them also. The donut gasket will hold the abs/pvc in the center of the hub for a seemless transition from plastic to C.I. You have to get all of the old lead out of the hub, bevel the plastic pipe going in and, lube it up. If it wont go in easy, place a piece of wood against the plastic and hit the wood with a hammer until the plastic butts up to the c.i. Not as easy, but it's code here.

In the end though, what you have will work and now you have a satisfied customer with a flowing shower drain that will call only you from now on.
                        Attached Files

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

a little ot but can you pour around abs like you can with PVC? I havent worked on ABS much I know we used to "cold pour" PVC soil adapters all the time, not lead wool

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            a little ot but can you pour around abs like you can with PVC? I havent worked on ABS much I know we used to "cold pour" PVC soil adapters all the time, not lead wool
                            I have poured one lead joint with an abs riser, went well until I went to work the joint, it started to collapse the abs at the base so I worked it only as necessary.

In all honesty our code book discourages pouring lead joints at all anymore, and pouring that joint under the house was out of the question for me anyway.
                            sigpic
                            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                              I agree with the others about the donut gaskets. Fernco makes them also. The donut gasket will hold the abs/pvc in the center of the hub for a seemless transition from plastic to C.I. You have to get all of the old lead out of the hub, bevel the plastic pipe going in and, lube it up. If it wont go in easy, place a piece of wood against the plastic and hit the wood with a hammer until the plastic butts up to the c.i. Not as easy, but it's code here.

In the end though, what you have will work and now you have a satisfied customer with a flowing shower drain that will call only you from now on.
                              I pictured an o-ring not a gasket, I know this type of seal and will order me up some to stock on my truck.

Thanks all for the good call on a better mouse trap.
                              sigpic
                              www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X