X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking the Tightrope, or When to Speak and When to Zip Up

4 unit condo complex, mainline clog in service for two units, jet out 90' and get some slow flow, bringing back tampons. Never get past 90', something there grabbing the nozzle and trying to hold on. Camera, push right out to 90' and stop dead, under water and cant see. Locate; it's in the street, 4 1/2' down. Asphalt suspiciously new. Nozzle coming back polished, camera come back with grit in the spring. It's a broken line. By now it's 6:15, the sun is down, and the wind is coming up, it's getting cold and I've got another job I'm late for. Tell them I can come back tomorrow and try with a cable machine to open it enough to make sure of the broken line before they dig in winter under asphalt in the right of way, but no promises and I might get the cable stuck in the line; they agree.

Have a chat with the town san guy and it comes out that a new storm sewer was laid in that area about 3' deep recently. Dollars to doughnuts I'm going to fail tomorrow as there will be a trackhoe bucket wide chunk of service missing, and I don't even want to waste my time now that I know this. Told him I'd keep my mouth shut until it's opened up and we see what it is, but I know what it will be. I'm planning on honoring that but if that's what it is and the town doesn't fess up at that point, I'm in a pickle. Also it will probably come back on the excavator who laid the line and I think I know who that is, and like them, and if I was them I'd want the chance to make good on it myself instead of just getting the bill... so I am going to try to steer everyone to using them to open it up, but that may get uncomfortable if I have to say why, and I'd like to give the excavators a heads up so they can prepare...
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Walking the Tightrope, or When to Speak and When to Zip Up

your not in a pickle! They are
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Your just the mail man...
      sigpic
      www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

If you tell the guys that laid the line ,they might want to cut there loss and work with you.

Comment

Well, it's more certain now. Took the 3/4 machine out there this am and ground into it about two feet, got wickedly stuck, finally got cable back. Nice and shiny. They will dig as soon as locates are in and the ground heater's had a little time. There are gas, telco, power, and the storm drain in that area and digger (wisely) won't touch it frozen for fear of taking out a chunk of something useful with a big frozen bite. Turns out that storm line was put in by someone I don't know out of Denver, so they are on their own. Town is ready to eat it (I think), but still waiting to see what the hoe shows.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

My responsibility is to the person who's paying the invoice. Because it is likely they will be paying future invoices.

Whoever is responsible new good and well what they did when it happened, but decided to fill it anyway.

I would tell the customer, "Look at this new asphalt. Looks like someone has done work here recently? What do you think? Maybe you should call the city, parish, county, to find out if they can check on it. Maybe send out an inspector."
            Attached Files

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Actually, I think they didn't know they hit it; the depths are such that they could easily have been trenching to lay the storm at 3' and hit the service at 4 1/2' and never known. Also there is a second sevice right there and they could have hit both, seen the busted pvc pieces, found one and fixed it and not known there were two. Anyway I'm letting it go until we see what we see when it is opened up, and if it appears to be from the storm line install, I'll give the town guys a chance to take responsibility, and weigh in if they don't.

Comment

Keep in mind not everyone sets up there transit at the same spot to set depths. Or on the same day. A dry day verses a wet day or spring and fall will change the depth ranges. I have seen it time and time again.
                Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                1-920-284-7471

Comment

So, the top of the pipe was crushed and cracked and full of gravel for 3' or so right under the storm line that was put in. I'm giving the town until Friday am to fess up, then going to call tham and ask them if they want the bill or if they want it sent to the h.o. along with my thoughts on how it happened.

Comment

Working...
                  X