X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do

Recently one of my guys who works casually for me left one of the doors open on the truck and lost approx $1000 worth of ridgid equipment out the back some where on road.
    We back tracked couldnt find any of it.
    What would you do as a business owner.
    Regards
    Greg

Re: What would you do

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
    Recently one of my guys who works casually for me left one of the doors open on the truck and lost approx $1000 worth of ridgid equipment out the back some where on road.
    Regards
    Greg
    How long has he worked for you?

Is this his first screw up?

Comment

While he's off getting drug tested I would take the radio out of the truck

How else does someone NOT hear the doors fly open and tools falling out of the back

Comment

There are a lot of factors involved.
        Why did he leave the door open?
        Will insurance cover the loss?
        If you feel like it was a simple human error and he seems like he knows he messed up let him work it off.
        If you think he had something else going on Alcohol, drugs etc. Stop casually working him. Recover what you can.

I have done that before but because things were put way so we did not lose anything.
        Last edited by EasyEman; 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

what was the understanding regarding company property at the time the employee was hired? what does the company personel manual say about the employee's responsibilities as they relate to company property? whatever you do, in the absense of documentation, be consistent across all employees. excellent question from p-crack.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Ive left the back door on my box van open once and i couldnt hear anything different but because my stuff was put away i didnt lose anything. what does casual mean? were you paying him under the table if so a drug test wont help you. and insurance probably wont cover it unless you want to lie to them. (i wouldnt recommend that) if thats the case chalk it up to lesson learned. another thing how well do you know him. people are hurting right now ecspecially part time employee's is there a possibilty that your stuff ended up in the back of his buddies truck? (just playing the devils advocate?)
            Mike
            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

On my first fleet of trucks the first thing I used to do was yank out the air conditioner from under the hood, this made the guys drive with their windows down (I had no AC in my truck either). If for some reason the back door were to be left open, you would get this great breeze that normally would not happen thus alerting you that something was not right. I also provided EVERY single tool needed so that all my guys had to do was bring their lunch. The deal I had with them was if they loose it they replace it, if it breaks, I replace it. I had every trucks tools color coded to "help" keep my guys honest as there were some big jobs that may have had four or more trucks there at the same time. After about 16 trucks you have to start to get real creative with colors. The guy with the pink tools rarely had something missing. I noticed that guys who lost expensive tools were soon to leave shortly thereafter. You have to put the policy of who replaces what in effect at the time of hiring. I had business cards hidden in tube locations on my sewer machines that only I knew about. Wouldn't you know it, never had one stolen. So the bottom line is, you now have a tremendous loss. I would have the police come to the shop and have the employee present to assist with the "lost item report". This says a lot without saying a thing. How your employee handles himself throughout the process will help you in determining what may have really happened. In addition in asking an employee what he thinks should be done about this whole situation will say a lot about what they are made of. I gotta wonder if I ever bought back my own sawzalls or right angle drills at the swap meet.

Comment

Regards
                Greg
                I happens to all of us, if he`s a good employee stick by him if not well its your call.

Tony

Comment

Thanks for your posts I am going halves with the replacement costs with him.
                  Letting him him pay off $50 or $100 per week if he wants.
                  By the way the doors slide up and down and are lockable
                  Left it with him to decide.

Comment

Slap him over the head with a 4" rubber test weenie and start your discussion after that!

Comment

Thanks for your posts I am going halves with the replacement costs with him.
                      Letting him him pay off $50 or $100 per week if he wants.
                      By the way the doors slide up and down and are lockable
                      Left it with him to decide.
                      Seems like a wise choice.But,only time will tell.
                      Kenneth Collier
                      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                      Jackson, MS 39206
                      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Thats what I would do, dock his pay.

Although it would probably be a good idea to have this in writing when he was hired.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                        X