Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the K-39AF worth it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is the K-39AF worth it?

    I do a ridiculous amount of bathtubs and lav sinks and am curious about the AF.
    The most important thing to me is the machine has to be able to make tight traps. I know a lot of you don't like the Milwaukee hand snakes but on this machine if you oil the chuck and it's tight, it will make almost any turn and the chuck stays tight on the cable. Would the AF do that? Or does the cable slip back in the machine?? Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

    Never slips back you need to be more careful of bending or kinking the cable. Plus the k39af will damage items around it because of it's torque.
    Seattle Drain Service

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

      Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
      I do a ridiculous amount of bathtubs and lav sinks and am curious about the AF.
      The most important thing to me is the machine has to be able to make tight traps. I know a lot of you don't like the Milwaukee hand snakes but on this machine if you oil the chuck and it's tight, it will make almost any turn and the chuck stays tight on the cable. Would the AF do that? Or does the cable slip back in the machine?? Thanks.
      The K-39 is the best small drain machine around for getting around 40 & 50mm bath and basin traps and waste pipes with its varible speed at 500rpm`s all the others the K-40 (which is a crap machine) running at 275rpm`s and the K-50 at 400rpm is great for straight drains 50mm and up.

      Tony

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

        I have the k-39 (no auto feed) and it works very well! The af seems like it would give the user less control of the cable and a tight trap it could get a bit scary. I am very happy with the one i have!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

          i have one that is NON autofeed and am thinking about upgrading it to AF. it's a great tool for what it does.

          BTW i've never kinked a cable, but i have had one ruined with some idiot pouring a quart of Muriatic acid down a totally blocked shower about an hour before he called me.

          i now ask on EVERY job if chemicals were used, what kind and how long ago.

          steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

            Had my rep show me one today, not impressed. It has the same slide chuck to hold down the cable as the other Ridgid hand snakes. I have one of those and it does not hold the cable in place most of the time. For some reason I thought the AF was different.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

              I have one K39AF and don't have any grip trouble.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                I have zero grip problems with the 39af, best top snake I have ever had and I have had a lot generals and ridgids.
                Seattle Drain Service

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                  My 39AF embarrassed the k-380 on a floor sink a guy didn't have the noodles to push through.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                    I find my new K39AF to be a bit tempermental. Part of it is I need to get use to its extra length AF nose. The chuck is allowing the cable to slip back into the machine sometimes. I've only used it a few times so far around the school district.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                      Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      My 39AF embarrassed the k-380 on a floor sink a guy didn't have the noodles to push through.
                      I'm a bit dissapointed in my 39AF

                      She has been busy for the last year... I managed to dork up 2 cables this year ( The AF makes it easy to do if not careful)

                      Now all she does is spin at about 1/4 of the normal RPM and has lost all torque

                      I'm lost without her and may have to break down and buy another but I hate to think that I will only get 1 year of general use out of a tool of this nature...

                      Signed....


                      "Lost without my Tool"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                        Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        I'm a bit dissapointed in my 39AF

                        She has been busy for the last year... I managed to dork up 2 cables this year ( The AF makes it easy to do if not careful)

                        Now all she does is spin at about 1/4 of the normal RPM and has lost all torque

                        I'm lost without her and may have to break down and buy another but I hate to think that I will only get 1 year of general use out of a tool of this nature...

                        Signed....


                        "Lost without my Tool"
                        Dang Bill,
                        I better get more than that out of mine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                          [quote=OkieBill;211782]I'm a bit dissapointed in my 39AF

                          She has been busy for the last year... I managed to dork up 2 cables this year ( The AF makes it easy to do if not careful)

                          Now all she does is spin at about 1/4 of the normal RPM and has lost all torque

                          I'm lost without her and may have to break down and buy another but I hate to think that I will only get 1 year of general use out of a tool of this nature...

                          Signed....

                          Do you use 1/4" or 5/16" cable? I keep both but prefer the larger cable.

                          Spins slow? did you twist the variable speed switch in? They do go bad easy fix just the switch. I also wd40 the slide a lot to keep it smooth and clean.
                          Seattle Drain Service

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Dang Bill,
                            I better get more than that out of mine.
                            I hope so too! Mine was like $550.00 at Ferguson's with all the extra drums and cables.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is the K-39AF worth it?

                              Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                              I hope so too! Mine was like $550.00 at Ferguson's with all the extra drums and cables.
                              I hope you don't mind...
                              When I read this I looked up to read your occupation.

                              Just Teasing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X