Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who you know, not what you know

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    j.c. being connected is knowing who to call not getting the run around.

the sub contractor does this all day long for the cities they work for. they are always in shock when they see and hear of all the elderly that are taken to the bank when all they need to do is call the city. the city does maintain the saddles.

i had the same thing a few weeks ago with an established customer and a gas leak.

thier meter was on the curb parkway. the customer is responsible for all the downstream piping. the line had a leak in the meter box on the customers side. gas co shut them left it on so they would not freeze. i went there and looked at the issue.

i suggested them to call back the gas co and get them to move the meter to the side of the house.

they called and the gas co. came out a few weeks later and did the job for free. this is not the first time i've walked away from a paying job.

i give the best advise to my customers. not the advise that would make me the most money.

so knowing who to call is the way to get problems solved.

rick.
    I think I understand & try to do the same thing. My little area tries to give me alot of runaround no matter who I call unfortunately.

Don't like the clay piping though. I can't imagine a reason for it to be superior over PVC/ABS.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      GUYS!!!! Please next time use shoring of somekind, I do not know the soils out there, but Adam, unless you from the land of OZ that is over 5' deep, in a 2' wide hole, with no ladder or shoring VERY dangerous, next time if you cant use shoring have the excavator dig back the sides a bit more and make sure that he doesnt put the spoils so close tot he edge of the trench... alot of no-nos here guys!
      Yep.

Ever worked with clay?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Yep.

Ever worked with clay?

If you guys had clay soils that is fine, I wasnt trying to bust your balls, I couldnt see the whole picture i.e. soil conditions. I know you two know what is going on but I read about trench collapses/caveins at least once a month here! I dont want to have to read bout it and have it be someone I consider a friend!

Comment

GUYS!!!! Please next time use shoring of somekind, I do not know the soils out there, but Adam, unless you from the land of OZ that is over 5' deep, in a 2' wide hole, with no ladder or shoring VERY dangerous, next time if you cant use shoring have the excavator dig back the sides a bit more and make sure that he doesnt put the spoils so close tot he edge of the trench... alot of no-nos here guys!

See what happens when you post pictures Rick.
          And I'll just bet there are no pictures of the city not using shoring to replace the wye I exposed another 6' deeper.

Comment

If you guys had clay soils that is fine, I wasnt trying to bust your balls, I couldnt see the whole picture i.e. soil conditions. I know you two know what is going on but I read about trench collapses/caveins at least once a month here! I dont want to have to read bout it and have it be someone I consider a friend!
            It is eye opening & alarming when you see some real stories/pics of situations that YOU have been in where someone else got killed.

Took a class where they showed many pics of trench deaths in ALL types of soils. One guy stepped out of the safety box for about 3 seconds....

& now he's dead.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I am just pissed off that you dont have any pics of the iron posted!

Comment

That picture of Adam in the ditch looks like a funeral waiting to happen.

I've seen it happen too many times where a horizontal crack shows up on one side of the ditch, and then it goes.

I would of at least stair cased the ditch open, that way it was wider the closer to the top it went.

Definitely an OSHA violation all the way.

Nobody knows dirt because you can't see the openings in the walls inside it. Trench boxes should be standard protocol for any job, regardless of cost or how many others do without.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I dont mind the clay pipe ...i like it better than orangeburg,or thin wall pvc.Its a good pipe you just gota keep the roots out..

Comment

how do you join it ferncos as shown or a concrete collar? what I hae never seen clay pipe installed

Comment

I understand transitions.

I understand maintenance versus costly replacement.

What I don't understand is when you're already in there, why would you use clay rather than good grade PVC or ABS?

Can someone explain why it would be better? If not, and it's inferior, why would they do that?

Fernco's aren't going to beat solvent welds. Right?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        If OSHA showed up they might run short of tickets on this dig!.
                        Don't dig your own grave.Learn Trench safety!

adam working it

notice the clean shirt and pants

when you've been doing it as long as adam, you know how to work clean

rick.
                        Guys,lets use our heads and work safe!!!
                        See above...
                        Last edited by Jay Mpls; 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

JEESUS GOD! Any trench over 3' deep can trap you.At 5 you could be f**king toast.Use your head and a trench box, ask a pro if you don't know.get the facts before you go into a ditch! STAY ALIVE.Information is free on this.Your life is short.
                          Last edited by Jay Mpls; 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                            If OSHA showed up they might run short of tickets on this dig!.
                            See above...
                            not technically.

osha is there to protect the employee. adam is his own boss

believe me, if adam felt uncomfortable with the condition of the soil, he would never have been in there. the backhoe operator is an expert in soil conditions too. he was there and had no issue with it either.

we've all taken educated risk. i do it every time i go on an adventure vacation.

adam knows what he's doing.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Fully agreed on that.Been there and done that.I am alive due to many expert '49'ers as they are known here.

Comment

If I was in the hole, I would have looked like a BABYRUTH,
                                Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                                1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                                X