Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who you know, not what you know

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    It is eye opening & alarming when you see some real stories/pics of situations that YOU have been in where someone else got killed.

Took a class where they showed many pics of trench deaths in ALL types of soils. One guy stepped out of the safety box for about 3 seconds....

& now he's dead.

J.C.
    Yeah....
    So everyone has seen horendous scenes from traffic accidents.Why are people still driving?

I'm going to make another phone call to someone on this.
    You guys stay RRRRIGHT there.

Comment

I once had to put a man in a body bag , due to a trench caving in [ I am a vol fire man also ] , not a fun day , it was April 1 1994 , It rained the night before and snowed a little in the moring to wet to be in a trench , I was runing service work that day , stoped home for lunch , when the fire pager went off , called my boss , [ my dad at that time ] , he said go to the fire call , I got there , and we had to dig alittle , to get the medics in , they call the guy dead , so we waited for the city , and the schuring, the city at that time were the trench experts , we had the gas comp. backhoe , two local townships , backhoe , there also , so we started , hand digging , to set the schuring , and digging with the backhoes , to get a path with schuring so we could get to the guy , finaly got to him , but it took about 3 hours , then we had to put him in the body bag and take him out of the trench , then we had to wait for , the police and dectives , and , so all told we were there about 5 to 6 hours , I learned a great lesson , don't get in a ditch without schuring

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Yeah....
        So everyone has seen horendous scenes from traffic accidents.Why are people still driving?

I'm going to make another phone call to someone on this.
        You guys stay RRRRIGHT there.
        You know better.

J.C.

Comment

The truth is, we all have put ourselves in situations that we probably shouldn't have been in. This was likely the case with Adam. I don't like to see it but it's his call, not mine.

When I was young and dumb, a ditch patially caved on me. I was lucky, not too bad. 9' down and was only buried up to my belly button. Knocked the wind and pee out of me. Immobile for 20 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I now have taphophobia from this single event. (fear of being buried alive) Whenever I'm in a ditch now I start a panic attack.

Comment

Rick ,
            YOU MKJHUGBL.HGTTKGCD YFIGJB<<Jgi97tf>>> oUYF&TF....KUGFR&YTR.....HYGGIUYjik>DSEW$...
            See why I don't like that F@cling camera.

Forum members....
            Do not assume you know the conditions of the integrity of this soil.I can almost garauntee that I know I've been in way more numerous,dangerous,looser,deeper,some with shoring,some without.I've been hunched over with hydrolic oil leaking on my neck trying to do a tie in a foot of water where we used shoring on one job that had a high water table.I've humped more plywood,shoring and pump than I care to reminise.
            Don't put me with the ignorant fools or nieve employee that cannot or is uncapable to interperate his surroundings.

The forum is where we have friends that we care about.If I saw a friend of mine in an unsafe situation there would be an immediate action on my part.It is also where we are aware that others will be watching us and our actions here.This depth could be unsafe with particular types of conditions.Because chance is not to be a variable to be considered they tell us to shore.

Back the Fugh off.You weren't there

I love this place
            ADAM

Comment

I am concerned about the amount of bleach you must go through.
              Man those are white whites.

Comment

Adam, That still doesn't explain how you managed to stay soo clean when your in that hole.
                The Other Rick

Comment

I am guilty many times of getting into a trench with no box, and stepping way out of many boxes.

When I was a pipe layer the only area I got low marks on during my evaluations was trench safety. After spending 10hrs a day 10'-20' deep I just got use to it. Working in,what most would consider a hazardous situation just became the norm. After a while I guess you could say I dropped my guard and became comfortable in the hole.

If we could go back and ask every man that has died in the hole, "did you think that trench was going to collapse and kill you?" I'm sure their answer would be "NO", or "I thought, if it goes I could make it to the box in time", "the soils expert said it was fine" etc....

I like when I see threads take a turn like this because it reminds those in the hole to keep their guard up. Kind of like planting a seed in their brain.

Would I jump into that same hole and teach Adam to shovel like a man instead of watching him lean on it, looking all clean. Sure I would, but discussions like this keep it in the front of our mind rather than the back.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I bet we don't see Adam or his work in a pic for atleast 6 months.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Adam,
                      with all due respect:
                      A number of years ago a man living in our area (complete with HEAVY clay soils) was working in a shallow, about 5 foot deep trench, helping a neighbor out. The trench collapsed, killing him. No safety box. The irony was he was a full-time fire fighter from our local department, skilled in heavy rescues. He had evaluated the soils and proclaimed them safe because he was the expert.

'Nuf said?

Jim

Comment

Ok ok I think he got the message.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                          Ok ok I think he got the message.
                          AHHH,it's O/K Easy.
                          I got to say what I wanted now I'm good.Like I said It's more like people caring about one another.

We got stories out here too and I'd be popin' em off if Rick would just post his uncensored pictures

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            AHHH,it's O/K Easy.
                            I got to say what I wanted now I'm good.Like I said It's more like people caring about one another.

We got stories out here too and I'd be popin' em off if Rick would just post his uncensored pictures
                            Uncensored pics of Rick???
                            No thanks, I'll pass.
                            I already have several mental images of Rick and his K-60, and thats disturbing enough. I don't need any photo evidence to back it up
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I laughed the whole time I was reading this because I know how many phone calls must have went back and forth between Rick, Joey, and Adam in the last 2 days.

Comment

Lets face it this thread is more important then pex v copper, Drum v Sectional, or shark bite v soldering. Thanks for the pics so we can have such an important topic. A good plumber friend of mine almost lost the ability to walk from a cave in. He is fine now.

Comment

Working...
                                X