X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who you know, not what you know

so last week i go out to an existing customer and they're completely backed up. no ifs ands or buts

i had warned them about this for the last 5 years that they need to camera the line before it got to this.

funny part is it's only a 40' run from their front outside 4'' c/o to the city main in their front lawn.

so now i'm basically camering the line in the blind to locate where to get the backhoe to dig. 11' deep

adam, you want a job so adam goes there and is surprised that the city main is in their front lawn. owner already had dig-a-lert locate the underground utilities. all ok. owner got a permit on line.

cut to the chase. 8x6 saddle is wasted. adam makes a temporary connection to the main so the owners can

so now that the pressures off. owner has a friend who is connected

a couple of phone calls and not only is the city changing the saddle, but also 20' of 6'' clay on the owners property

not going to tell you what city,

but it's who you know, not what you know

rick.

here is a shot of a section of the roots from inside the 6'' clay. not sure why i was smiling. notice the tee shirt.

the pile of dirt from the 11' deep line

the shoring and a temporary abs line that is connected to the new 6'' saddle.

another section of roots next to a 4'' abs cut off.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-26-2009, 02:36 AM. Reason: photos insert
    phoebe it is

Re: Who you know, not what you know

Big wast of time and money! I would of blown that root out with a K-39 !

Good for Adam though! Hey where's HIS PICTURE! He's better looking than YOU !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Big wast of time and money! I would of blown that root out with a K-39 !

Good for Adam though! Hey where's HIS PICTURE! He's better looking than YOU !
      I can't give evidence of location.
      They'll kick me out of the witness protection program.

Comment

Rick, as always, good story, good work, good pics.

But it bothers me that "it's who you know" and "he is connected" so he can get special treatment that the guy down the street can't get.

Is someone putting clay pipe back in? That does look new sitting on the ground.

J.C.

Comment

I believe this has more to do with who you call rather than who you know. I have called the Sanitation District out a bunch of times when I felt they had a responsibility. They usually show up in short order with all of the sewer maps of the area and after a short discussion they fix their problem. As for the additional 20', I'm thinking that was within the sewer easement as they would be prohibited from working on private property.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why in the he!! would they put clay back in? And a 20'+ easement past the sidewalk? Might have to throw the who you know Lobster Flag.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-26-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Why in the he!! would they put clay back in? And a 20'+ easement past the sidewalk? Might have to throw the who you know Lobster Flag.

J.C.
              I'm not sure of your point.

Are you wondering why the city would put clay back in.I would have prefered 6" PVC.But it's the city's call.

There was a lot of screwy stuff going on this one.

Thank goodness the city stepped up.

Comment

J.C.
                clay is the only material allowed in the public riight of way. this being an easement, and still the city lateral, it goes back to clay.

actually clay is a great material. the joints from years part were the issues. the material is as slick as plastic.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

this is from the cut of the live sewer. no bypass was used to cut it out and install a new wye. they did it live.

notice the snap cutter of choice

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

What a difference a few thousand mile makes!!, Clay is non-existing on the right coast for new work, any sewer is PVC except for a few cities that require ductile iron. What kind of joints do they use for Clay, I see ferncos in the pic, is that it or some kind of mortar?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      clay is the only material allowed in the public riight of way. this being an easement, and still the city lateral, it goes back to clay.

actually clay is a great material. the joints from years part were the issues. the material is as slick as plastic.

rick.
                      The pipe is fine.It's the joints that are questionable.

So does someone want to tell me why I can't use ferncos in the crawlspace

Comment

adam working it

notice the clean shirt and pants

when you've been doing it as long as adam, you know how to work clean

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Honey...

Start packing!!!!

Comment

GUYS!!!! Please next time use shoring of somekind, I do not know the soils out there, but Adam, unless you from the land of OZ that is over 5' deep, in a 2' wide hole, with no ladder or shoring VERY dangerous, next time if you cant use shoring have the excavator dig back the sides a bit more and make sure that he doesnt put the spoils so close tot he edge of the trench... alot of no-nos here guys!

Comment

Rick, as always, good story, good work, good pics.

But it bothers me that "it's who you know" and "he is connected" so he can get special treatment that the guy down the street can't get.

Is someone putting clay pipe back in? That does look new sitting on the ground.

J.C.
                              j.c. being connected is knowing who to call not getting the run around.

the sub contractor does this all day long for the cities they work for. they are always in shock when they see and hear of all the elderly that are taken to the bank when all they need to do is call the city. the city does maintain the saddles.

i had the same thing a few weeks ago with an established customer and a gas leak.

thier meter was on the curb parkway. the customer is responsible for all the downstream piping. the line had a leak in the meter box on the customers side. gas co shut them left it on so they would not freeze. i went there and looked at the issue.

i suggested them to call back the gas co and get them to move the meter to the side of the house.

they called and the gas co. came out a few weeks later and did the job for free. this is not the first time i've walked away from a paying job.

i give the best advise to my customers. not the advise that would make me the most money.

so knowing who to call is the way to get problems solved.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X