Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cable

what can i use to lube my cables

Re: oil cable

I use 'Snake Oil' from General about once a year or if they are stinking up the van from a particularly stinky job.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The best in the world. http://www.astroglide.com

J.C.

Comment

I use Ridgid's cable oil - it really stinks in an enclosed area. :-)

Comment

I use snake oil from general as well.I have tried the ridgid oil before but really didnt like it.The ridgid oil is very thin about like water while the general snake oil is thicker like oil.

Comment

I dont remember if it was on this forum or over at PZ, someone suggested using Marvel Mystery oil (engine treatment) to lube cables. I have tried it and it seems to work fine. I find it has a wintergreen kind of smell.

Comment

I use my cables daily, it would be a waste of time and oil, to lube them up.

I guess you could say I lube my cables with cooking oil, animal fat, ground food particles, soap scum, poo, pee, spit, vomit, etc.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by cajun plumber View Post
                I dont remember if it was on this forum or over at PZ, someone suggested using Marvel Mystery oil (engine treatment) to lube cables. I have tried it and it seems to work fine. I find it has a wintergreen kind of smell.
                Hi there cajun, I'm a 1/2 cajun in the new orleans area.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post

I guess you could say I lube my cables with cooking oil, animal fat, ground food particles, soap scum, poo, pee, spit, vomit, etc.
                  All the more reason to lube them.Lubes made for cables have a rust fighter and more importantly an acid neutralizer.We know cables dont care much for acid drain cleaner chemicals.

Comment

Three of my cables are in open reels so they drip dry and dont get a chance to rust.

My smallest cable 1/4 inch is in an enclosed reel and rusts quickly if I dont spray the inside of the reel with wd40. I think its because it cant drip dry. I do pull the cable out with paper towels, but its still wet.

When I run a line that I know has acid in it I make sure to flush the cable well.

This works well for me.

I cant see putting oil on my cables adding that much more life to be worth the extra time it takes to add the oil.

I can make enough money in one day to replace all of my cables that will last one to two years and make me six figures.

If I had all enclosed reels, I would probably have a different opinion.

Lenny

Comment

i'll spray mine with WD-40 to help inhibit rust a bit, but especially to keep the link pins from freezing up. LPS would be a better choice but WD-40 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

on my k39/ 5/16'' cable, i remove them from the drum and store them outside the drum.

the rest are sectional that get washed off as needed and i oil the spring loaded pins with wd40.

when i was runnig drums. i would use ridgid snake oil, general oil, atf fluid, even diesel fuel.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                          Same here. BUT, even if they did sit for for any length of time, I wouldn't bother. My 1/2" cable is 10 years old. I don't use it much. In that time it's seen maybe 200 jobs, chemicals, grease you name it. Still no need to oil. I've tried all different types lubes and have not noticed any prolonged cable life.
                          The only reason I think cable would need oiling is due to low quality wire or not being rinsed thoroughly after running it through a chemical line and then letting it sit.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            The best in the world. http://www.astroglide.com

J.C.
                            You got Me Sucker!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X