Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teach me the ways of the sectional K1500

Originally posted by Theron View Post
    So would a good approach be spear to pop it open, c-cutter (sharktooth) to clear the big stuff, and a spiral to clean it well? Or would the spiral be sufficient to start with and just work slowly? I've noticed that it is more difficult for me so far to feel that I am in roots as compared to the drum machine. What is your last blade that you'll try with this machine to get a line open with if all else fails? Is a 2 1/2" straight funnel just as good as one of the more sloped funnels, or will the sloped funnel do more ripping? Looks like I'll be ordering me up some spirals
    if my reverse auger can't open a line, nothing will.

i start with a spiral saw, if that fails, i move to a smaller saw. if still no luck, my reverse auger.

for 2'' access to 3'',4'' pipe, i use the reverse auger with a good 45 in the last few inches. it will stay tight in the 2'' and open in the larger pipe.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, have you ever hooked an object in a 4" pipe that wouldn't fit back through your 2" access?

Comment

i've only been stuck 1 time with my k-60, 7/8'' and that was in area drains with styrene pipe

but i did do a job for my buddy steve that was scary.

it was a roof drain/ condensate at an office building. line was plugged and i used my 7/8'' with auger. got it cleared and when it drained, i was in a 2'' line with trap.

i still can't imagine anyone running a 2'' for a roof condensate and a trap.

couldn't get my cable out from the trap with the auger end. the couplers wouldn't make the turn. fortunately there was t-bar ceiling and i took apart a fitting to remove the cutter.

roots have always come back out with my cable. sure they might be wrapped up pretty tight, but they come back.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Had a bad time with one of them round cutters, I went through a 3" clean out and got stuck right where I was told the line was replaced. I had to dig to get my cable out and found the plumber had put in about 10 ft of 3" past the tree and then connected it back up on both ends to the 6" I had a small round on and when I went past the 6" and through the 3" and back to the 6" I got a big wad of roots from the 6" and it wouldn't come back through the 3" sec. I use the C cutter now unless there is no bottom in the pipe. Never been hung since Knock on wood

Comment

Checked out sect mach's at the show last weekend. Think i am going to buy one. But, do you guys not miss having a feeder??

Comment

The speed of the cable practically pulls itself in. The open-wind design allows you to tug the cable against the cleanout and it feeds itself out. No feeder necessary - much better design.

Comment

What areas are you working in Theron.

It's house trap city over there, lots of 6" clay mains as well.

Cincinnati is a drain cleaner's heaven but there's just too many that get bonded and call themselves a drain cleaner over there, and some work cheap.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  What areas are you working in Theron.

It's house trap city over there, lots of 6" clay mains as well.

Cincinnati is a drain cleaner's heaven but there's just too many that get bonded and call themselves a drain cleaner over there, and some work cheap.
                  I work from Middletown, OH in the North to Sparta, KY in the south and from Dillsboro, IN in the west to Jackson, OH in the east.
                  I only run into house traps in Covington and Bellevue, but it would not surprise me to find them elsewhere. I've stopped cleaning at house traps before, didn't know it was a house trap, dug it up to make a repair and found a house trap. It seems the sidewalk people love to cover over the cleanouts for them.
                  Do you know when they stopped doing 6" mains around here for residential? It seems like I've seem them all the way up to houses built in the late 70's. It's really silly to have that 6" main served by a 3" c/o. Unless you have a jetter.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
                    I work from Middletown, OH in the North to Sparta, KY in the south and from Dillsboro, IN in the west to Jackson, OH in the east.
                    I only run into house traps in Covington and Bellevue, but it would not surprise me to find them elsewhere. I've stopped cleaning at house traps before, didn't know it was a house trap, dug it up to make a repair and found a house trap. It seems the sidewalk people love to cover over the cleanouts for them.
                    Do you know when they stopped doing 6" mains around here for residential? It seems like I've seem them all the way up to houses built in the late 70's. It's really silly to have that 6" main served by a 3" c/o. Unless you have a jetter.

Wow, those locations you mentioned sounds like you have a wide coverage area.

I've gotten lazy in my day; if it isn't something I can't see from my porch, I don't want it.

I'm living in an area where suburbs are so common that I'd be crazy not to concentrate what's in my back yard.

I don't like working in Bellevue or Covington. There's money in it but I avoid it like the bubonic plague.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X