X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me the ways of the sectional K1500

Hey everyone, been cleaning drains for 5 years with a k-7500. I got tired of humping that 300 pound monstrosity up and down stairs and fighting the cable in and out of the machine. So...
    Our company's bone yard had four 1998 k1500sp's that I managed to make one out of. I bought cables and a few blades (which we have to do with the other machine anyway). I was looking for some advice on blades and possibly technique. I must be doing something wrong because cleaning the drains with this big cable seems effortless. The stoppages just melt away, and the cable is not trying to twist around my hand, break off my arm, and beat me to death with it like the previous machine. Is that the way it's supposed to be, or are my blades too small?

In the greater cincinnati area, our typical setup is a root infested exterior main that is typically a 6" clay pipe. Our only access points are the 3" and 4" stack or floor cleanout in the basement. Nearly every house in the area has a basement and NO outside cleanouts.
    I have purchased a 2 1/2" serrated spearhead, 3" c-cutter, and a 2 1/2" Straight heavy duty funnel auger. I'm obviously trying to clear as many roots out of that six inch as possible through the 4" for the 6 month warranty we give - is the expanding cutter worth it, or can you recommend a better blade for that application?
    If our typical clog is heavy root infestation, do you believe I am using the best blades for my customer? or should I be using one of the spiral or sharktooth styles?
    What is a good blade for the occasional 6" c/o that I get? - I was thinking of a 5" C or a big funnel.
    Does anyone have any "don't ever do this with this machine or it will hurt you so bad your grandchildren will feel it" stories? On that same note, Is it safe to run with both hands on the cable (LH and RH rivet gloves) and using your foot to control the clutch? Sometimes we have a high c/o to run.

Re: Teach me the ways of the sectional K1500

Well I would buy a.....

oh nevermind Rick will fill you in

Comment

i feel that the spiral sawtooth is the best root saw out there.

the 4x6'' expanding cutter is a finishing cutter. the blade will spring open and also spring closed as it encounters a large mass. so it's not my first choice on a plugged line.

i do the same thing with my foot or forearm for 2 hand operation.

see what crack has to say as he is the board buster champ

don't you have a k-60 for the indoor stuff? they make a c-10ic/ innercore cable that will do a good job on 6'' and smaller.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks. Rick, unfortunately, I lack a k-60. I've heard good things about them. Interior clogs I have a k-40-like machine for 1/4" and a k-3800 for 3/8 and 1/2. I run inner core on all those.
        Do the Spiral sawtooth have any trouble getting stuck in broken or offset pipe hubs? It looks like the type of blade that you can never run in reverse unless you want to dig.
        Does the expanding blade work and do a good job getting those root balls out that are just attached by a couple stragglers?

Comment

You may want to add a 3" and a 4" spiral root saw,and a 3-6" expanding heavy duty cutter.

Root saws are good but I have found when a line has compacted roots they have a tendency to get "clogged" and stop cutting, so I'll make a pass with a C cutter to open things up and then use the spiral saw to clean up.

If I have a high c/o I stack my racks in a way to take the weight of the cable. I think it was 'ALLCLEAR' that posted pics of Pvc piping to a roof vent so he could run his drum machine on the ground. I think the same thing can work on a high c/o with a sectional, but I haven,t had to try it yet.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Always operate it with the guide tube

Be aware of any loose clothing and wires close to where you are working

I only use the funnelhead when retrieving other companies cables

I like to use a trap leader if I'm sure it's not a root issue

The expanding cutter is only used on hard grease stoppages. Not worth the cost really.

I've often thought about a foot operated switch for this machine. Sometimes you just need 2 hands on the cable.

When using the K-1500 to drill holes in wood, I like to use a new spiralhead cutter with steady pressure

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              The expanding cutter is only used on hard grease stoppages. Not worth the cost really
              What? Only good on grease?
              I use it all the time on 4" for roots that just won't go away with other cutters. I will only use it If have camered the line though.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

See? that's what I love about this forum...

I've had nothing but bad luck using that 4"x6" expanding cutter. It gets hung up on every misaligned fitting and lead joint. I won't even put it on if there's a chance I'll hit clay pipe. I forget what it cost but I think it was over 100 bucks. Scraping down a Chinese restaurant main is all it's good for IMO.

For root intrusion, I'll use patience and the spiral tooth cutter

Comment

I use the General 3"-6" heavy duty expanding cutter.

The problem I run into most in 4" clay is misaligned joints. It always seams like one joint is offset just enough to not allow a 4" spiral root saw to pass safely, so I'm limited to a 3". Even with the 4" it's sometimes hard to get those stubborn roots that just won't let go of that last little bit. I'll run the expanding blade until I reach the area of an offset then push it past that area and start running again.

I would never consider running the expanding blade in clay with out camera first as it can do more damage real quick.

Comment

I broke my 3/4" cable on my K-7500 today. It was exactly the situation Gene bickford just described....offset clay. I started with a 3" double-cutter. It went through real easy and cleared the line. I got cocky and immediately went to a 4" double-cutter (without camera first) to fully scrape the roots out of the clay pipe. Problem is I hit an offset, I was stubborn (and stupid) and I just kept pushing it, the offset was bad enough to completely jam teh 4" double-cutter and the cable snapped when I stupidly kept winding it and winding it. I don't know what I was thinking. I've never snapped a 3/4" innercore cable before in my life. They can take a ridiculous amount of torque, and they'll only snap when some idiot just keeps torquing it while its stuck and the drum starts winding badly.
                    If I had been smart, I would have backed it out carefully when I get stuck in the offset and freed up the cable. And decided the 4" double-cutter was bad idea. Basically, I was an idiot today, and that "educational lesson" will cost me a few hundred bucks.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      I broke my 3/4" cable on my K-7500 today. It was exactly the situation Gene bickford just described....offset clay. I started with a 3" double-cutter. It went through real easy and cleared the line. I got cocky and immediately went to a 4" double-cutter (without camera first) to fully scrape the roots out of the clay pipe. Problem is I hit an offset, I was stubborn (and stupid) and I just kept pushing it, the offset was bad enough to completely jam teh 4" double-cutter and the cable snapped when I stupidly kept winding it and winding it. I don't know what I was thinking. I've never snapped a 3/4" innercore cable before in my life. They can take a ridiculous amount of torque, and they'll only snap when some idiot just keeps torquing it while its stuck and the drum starts winding badly.
                      If I had been smart, I would have backed it out carefully when I get stuck in the offset and freed up the cable. And decided the 4" double-cutter was bad idea. Basically, I was an idiot today, and that "educational lesson" will cost me a few hundred bucks.
                      And saved me a few hundred by your being honest.
                      Someday I hope I'll have the oppoutunity to repay you for your honesty and lack of ego driving you to TRY and bullsh!t us into believing you never make a mistake.I'm getting forum burnout in the area of some these guys never making a mistake and others buying it.

Good job Carl

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        And saved me a few hundred by your being honest.
                        Someday I hope I'll have the oppoutunity to repay you for your honesty and lack of ego driving you to TRY and bullsh!t us into believing you never make a mistake.I'm getting forum burnout in the area of some these guys never making a mistake and others buying it.

Good job Carl
                        Speaking of biggest mistake and expanding cutters...
                        I'll start another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
                          Thanks for the replies, folks. Rick, unfortunately, I lack a k-60. I've heard good things about them. Interior clogs I have a k-40-like machine for 1/4" and a k-3800 for 3/8 and 1/2. I run inner core on all those.
                          Do the Spiral sawtooth have any trouble getting stuck in broken or offset pipe hubs? It looks like the type of blade that you can never run in reverse unless you want to dig.
                          Does the expanding blade work and do a good job getting those root balls out that are just attached by a couple stragglers?
                          actually the spiral saw works great in both directions.

in forward it cuts. and in reverse, it becomes a great hook to grab and tear.

i've had plenty of times that forward would load up and in reversei would grab the root ball and get it flowing.

don't be afraid of the spiral root saw. it's as good as my secret weapon.

a broken off cable that i sharpened the end, bent a 45, and run in reverse to act as a corkscrew auger. that's the best secret weapon i use.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

So would a good approach be spear to pop it open, c-cutter (sharktooth) to clear the big stuff, and a spiral to clean it well? Or would the spiral be sufficient to start with and just work slowly? I've noticed that it is more difficult for me so far to feel that I am in roots as compared to the drum machine. What is your last blade that you'll try with this machine to get a line open with if all else fails? Is a 2 1/2" straight funnel just as good as one of the more sloped funnels, or will the sloped funnel do more ripping? Looks like I'll be ordering me up some spirals

Comment

Always make sure your spiral saw blade has Sharp Teeth. I ran in a sewer 105' with a dull blade and had to pull out all the cables because the teeth were a bit worn out! such a pain when that happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X