Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

    Originally posted by AFM View Post
    I thought I was the only one to lose cables and cutters thank God you do as well it makes me feel we have something in common.

    Tony
    Originally posted by stxrus View Post
    Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Not knowing the location of the septic tank,

    and that is why i run the camera/locator on every job that the exact location of the tank is not known.

    saved my butt more than once and the client now knows the location of their tank

    steve


    This happened back in 1989 or 90, can't remember but it was early in my career and sewer cameras were non-existent. For some reason it was a rare bird to have the technology but I guess my area was slow to get it.

    The part I left out?

    The pipe was orangeberg, was crushed 3' out of the tank and the hole was 18' straight down. Worthy of a picture but no shoring, but the guy digging knew how to staircase such a large opening. It was still, very unsafe.

    I was running sectionals at that time, lost 2-15' sections. The guy hooked the bucket to the cables and jerked it back out of the tank, the rest from the tank to the toilet came with it.

    Not a good sight, still got paid but between a toilet and 2 cables, it was rough.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning THE CAT !

      I'm just a new Cub Scout to drain cleaning, but We had an interesting thread here about 6 Months ago! Two guys on an apt. house roof rodding a bath vent. Went in back to back fitting to wrong apt. Blew out kitchen trap and made a bloody mess ,with damage to boot.
      Ended up tenant was a very angry Lady Lawyer. Poor Drain Co. owner came here for advice.
      I still feel for this poor Guy.

      But the winner or loser was the day the guy brought back a CAT'S HEAD ON HIS RETRIEVER! Poor Kitty
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

        I had a second floor bathroom that would gurgle when the com was flushed ,every thing drained good,,
        the vent must be stopped up, i get my small drum on the roof to clean out the 3" vent and run a water hose to wash it out
        the lady comes out she got water dripping on her table..
        i did get rid of the gurgle, and find the AC guy knocked a hole in the vent for the condensate drain

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

          I busted my own toilet with an auger

          Being my own home I went at it a bit more aggressive then I normally would. I heard/felt a snap and the clog let go. Ahhhh...Finely, success.
          Ohh,wait...whats all that water coming from behind the toilet???
          $#@*((^%$#!!!!
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

            Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            I busted my own toilet with an auger

            Being my own home I went at it a bit more aggressive then I normally would. I heard/felt a snap and the clog let go. Ahhhh...Finely, success.
            Ohh,wait...whats all that water coming from behind the toilet???
            $#@*((^%$#!!!!
            Are we talking a hand held closet auger Or Machine [ k-380 ? ]
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

              Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I busted my own toilet with an auger

              Being my own home I went at it a bit more aggressive then I normally would. I heard/felt a snap and the clog let go. Ahhhh...Finely, success.
              Ohh,wait...whats all that water coming from behind the toilet???
              $#@*((^%$#!!!!
              No problems if you would have used a plunger.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                Not a mistake but darn funny tho. I was helping my brother in-law hand snake from a septic tank back toward the house. It was a heavy snake and I was swinging the reel it was wound up in and following his motions. I see something moving over his head. The snake came out of the roof vent and bent back to him and was going up and down over his head. I didn't want it to whack him too hard so I was kind of holding back a little. Finaly he said where the h*ll is this thing going? Just go a little more I said. He gave a push and the snake head hit his caps bill. He looked up and ducked. I fell on the lawn laughing, then he started laughing too. You saw it coming down, he said. Who, me.

                Buck

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                  Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Are we talking a hand held closet auger Or Machine [ k-380 ? ]

                  Sadly, it was a hand held auger. Like I said, I went at it a bit more aggressive since it was my own place.
                  It could have, I suppose, had something to do with the beers I drank before auguring, but I like to blame it on the crappy craper.

                  Let this be a lesson to all, Friends don't let friends auger drunk!
                  Attached Files
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                      I was working with a joureyman and we went to a mall. The store had a backed up stool. We bring the the 5/8 hose of the jetter. We use a forward nozzle with no back jets. I line opened and we packed up. The girl from the store next door comes outside dry heving. We had painted the bathroom next door. We cleaned up after we found a ladder to clean the ceilling

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                        I had an iron rod after seeing that my team had won (we were 8 guys and they were more than 16), i put my iron rod on the ground and smiled, but out of nowhere a guy form the enemy's line ran and up picked it up and hit me right in the face with it (i guess he choose me because i was closest one to the iron rod and if he had gone to hit someone else i would have knocked him down). i still have a scar on my nose and somewhere between my temple and eye socket's bone. thank god my eye is ok.
                        Builders South London

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                          hey everyone,im new here and dig this thread.ive got one for you,i started the trade working for a rooter shop and they put me with this guy that did'nt wanna teach or show me anything,he was one of the guy's they called "the big dog" because of the money he made for the shop,so six week's with this guy and all i did was dig hole's pretty much,anyway's one day i finally got into my own van and got my pager and then my first call's were shower drains and tub's,then my first main line, so i show up to this and the lady point's to the cleanout and i say no problem let me get my machine,the cleanout is full of water so i shoved the cable in and start running the line and im putting alot cable in and thinking what the hell's happening this line can't be more than 60' so i stop and go to my van and call my manager and tell him what's happening,and just like you guy's knew already my cable went upstream and was on the roof,my manager say's whoever put that cleanout in did'nt use the proper fitting so it's not your fault, so i told the customer that whoever installed her cleanout that it wasnt done properly and basically they did'nt know what the hell they were doing, and she say's.....well my husband did that when he was still alive.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                            ive posted this before but its worth brining up again. id only been plumbing a few months and my journeyman and i got to a bathroom stoppage in a second story apartment we pull the toilet and my journeyman runs the snake out he gets a ways and and starts pulling back and its stuck so we are just yanking on this thing, pushing pulling, spinning for a good 10 15 minutes than we here someone at the door the tenant downstairs. we go into her apartment our snake busted through the front of her toilet went into her daughters bedroom and grabbed a doll by the head she heard the noise and opened the bathroom door and saw a doll banging its head against the toilet. she was home alone it must have scared the crap out of her " we need an old priest and a young priest" " the spirit of christ compells you"
                            Mike
                            Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                            www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                              Originally posted by hanoitwin View Post
                              hey everyone,im new here and dig this thread.ive got one for you,i started the trade working for a rooter shop and they put me with this guy that did'nt wanna teach or show me anything,he was one of the guy's they called "the big dog" because of the money he made for the shop,so six week's with this guy and all i did was dig hole's pretty much,anyway's one day i finally got into my own van and got my pager and then my first call's were shower drains and tub's,then my first main line, so i show up to this and the lady point's to the cleanout and i say no problem let me get my machine,the cleanout is full of water so i shoved the cable in and start running the line and im putting alot cable in and thinking what the hell's happening this line can't be more than 60' so i stop and go to my van and call my manager and tell him what's happening,and just like you guy's knew already my cable went upstream and was on the roof,my manager say's whoever put that cleanout in did'nt use the proper fitting so it's not your fault, so i told the customer that whoever installed her cleanout that it wasnt done properly and basically they did'nt know what the hell they were doing, and she say's.....well my husband did that when he was still alive.
                              And this is your first post? Insulting the work of a dead man?
                              Thats just wrong. You are a sick, sick man
                              to the forum.


                              I to have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth. When I see something way F'ed up, for some reason the idiot box section of my brain goes into overdrive and I say something like " well heres your problem, some meat sock went and hooked this up back wards." With a look of shame the customer replies, "Ummm...I did that when we first moved in"
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Biggest mistake while drain cleaning

                                Originally posted by haycad View Post
                                ive posted this before but its worth brining up again. id only been plumbing a few months and my journeyman and i got to a bathroom stoppage in a second story apartment we pull the toilet and my journeyman runs the snake out he gets a ways and and starts pulling back and its stuck so we are just yanking on this thing, pushing pulling, spinning for a good 10 15 minutes than we here someone at the door the tenant downstairs. we go into her apartment our snake busted through the front of her toilet went into her daughters bedroom and grabbed a doll by the head she heard the noise and opened the bathroom door and saw a doll banging its head against the toilet. she was home alone it must have scared the crap out of her " we need an old priest and a young priest" " the spirit of christ compells you"

                                Did you guys get paid, or as part of the judgment are you still paying her therapy bill?????
                                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X