Cart Before The Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart Before The Horse

I do work for two of the local city's around here. but the stuff i do is clear a floor drain, fix a runny toilet you get my drift. and through doing that ive built a good relationship with them they use to have to call 3 local companies and get bids now they just call me. I am in fairly good with head of the sewer and water department now. and i get to talking with him about larger sewer p.m. jobs or video inspecting thosuands of feet of sewer line. they hire out to larger companies. Thats the direction i would like my company to go in but not sure how i can get there. Its a ton of money for equipment, training, man power. before you can even start to bid on jobs. i know there is a few guys here that specialize in this stuff. how did you end up where you are now? and what would be your first purchase besides training. cctv truck, jet/vac truck etc.etc? thanks
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Cart Before The Horse

I am in the middle of doing this right now. I can tell you after returning today from the Pumper and Cleaner show, that it was well worth the trip. I was able to look at all the resources under one roof and talk with some of the foremost experts in the business.

We will be demoing a combo truck this Thursday and have pretty much come to a decision as to what mainline camera system we want. (Thanks Ricky.....HELLO!!!)

Anyway, I would think that Highland would be able to help out in answering questions about this as well. I will chime in more later when I have a bit more time. Maybe even shoot you a PM.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
      I am in the middle of doing this right now. I can tell you after returning today from the Pumper and Cleaner show, that it was well worth the trip. I was able to look at all the resources under one roof and talk with some of the foremost experts in the business.

We will be demoing a combo truck this Thursday and have pretty much come to a decision as to what mainline camera system we want. (Thanks Ricky.....HELLO!!!)

Anyway, I would think that Highland would be able to help out in answering questions about this as well. I will chime in more later when I have a bit more time. Maybe even shoot you a PM.
      thanks, i went to the pumper show last year, didnt get a chance to go this year i wish i would have though.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post

ok the pumper show was over at 3pm on sat where hove you bin since
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I meant returning to work to work today you nut!

Great to see you at the show by the way!!!
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

First decide if it is worth getting into.

Do you really WANT to do this work? Why? Because it is interesting? Because you want to roll up in a nice big fancy rig? Because you see an opportunity to make more $? Because you've got a buddy who needs work and has done this and it could come together nicely for both of you? Because your customer is getting raped and you want to help him out? Why? For me these are key questions. If I don't enjoy my day it's not worth rolling out of bed. If I dislike the nuts and bolts of a job, if it is just drudgery, I won't stay interested in it and I will end up doing poor quality work which is no good for anyone.

Do the numbers work out? What is the going rate for this work and can you make it pay at that rate? How much work do you need to pay for the equipment and the people to operate it? Can you get enough business from this one customer to pay for getting into it?

Do you have or can you find or can you train the appropriate people to do the work? If you are not doing it yourself, and you can't find the right people to do it, it's sunk off the bat. If you are going to do it yourself, can you honestly do it without stretching yourself too thin and neglecting other customers and core business? What do you need to be sure you can do a good job if you are doing it yourself? Who will cover for you while you are immersed in figuring out this new thing? Do you need a helper on site? Who is it going to be? Do you need to hire someone who's done a bunch of this because you haven't? If you are planning on sending your best two guys to a class then out to the job, have you made sure they are excited about the change? Who is going to pick up the slack while they are getting tuned up and making it through the startup issues? Does the business have the $ to spare to lose them as $ makers for a while while they work it out and get it running smooth? Your people are more important than the equipment. Equipment can be bought or leased easily. Good people are harder to find.

Can you start small? Can you do a small piece of what this customer needs done on a trial basis with rented or leased equipment? This would let you try it out and see if you like it, if it pays, and if you can turn out quality work for your customer. It sounds like you have a good enough relationship with the customer that this could be an option... can you present it to him on that basis? "Hey I want to see if I can give you what you need on this... If I can get some equipment to rent with an option, can we try it out on one line and see if it works for the both of us?"
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

Do you really WANT to do this work? Why? Because it is interesting? Because you want to roll up in a nice big fancy rig? Because you see an opportunity to make more $? Because you've got a buddy who needs work and has done this and it could come together nicely for both of you? Because your customer is getting raped and you want to help him out? Why? For me these are key questions. If I don't enjoy my day it's not worth rolling out of bed. If I dislike the nuts and bolts of a job, if it is just drudgery, I won't stay interested in it and I will end up doing poor quality work which is no good for anyone.

Do the numbers work out? What is the going rate for this work and can you make it pay at that rate? How much work do you need to pay for the equipment and the people to operate it? Can you get enough business from this one customer to pay for getting into it?

Do you have or can you find or can you train the appropriate people to do the work? If you are not doing it yourself, and you can't find the right people to do it, it's sunk off the bat. If you are going to do it yourself, can you honestly do it without stretching yourself too thin and neglecting other customers and core business? What do you need to be sure you can do a good job if you are doing it yourself? Who will cover for you while you are immersed in figuring out this new thing? Do you need a helper on site? Who is it going to be? Do you need to hire someone who's done a bunch of this because you haven't? If you are planning on sending your best two guys to a class then out to the job, have you made sure they are excited about the change? Who is going to pick up the slack while they are getting tuned up and making it through the startup issues? Does the business have the $ to spare to lose them as $ makers for a while while they work it out and get it running smooth? Your people are more important than the equipment. Equipment can be bought or leased easily. Good people are harder to find.

Can you start small? Can you do a small piece of what this customer needs done on a trial basis with rented or leased equipment? This would let you try it out and see if you like it, if it pays, and if you can turn out quality work for your customer. It sounds like you have a good enough relationship with the customer that this could be an option... can you present it to him on that basis? "Hey I want to see if I can give you what you need on this... If I can get some equipment to rent with an option, can we try it out on one line and see if it works for the both of us?"
              Those are all good points and all things that i have thought about thats why i posted it here. you guys are supposed to have all the answers. thanks for the feedback
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

All, good advice, that is often overlooked
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Ace had all valid points. Look and see who is around you and the amount of equipment they have and the type of work they do. You can always provide a better service, this translates into the amount of time it will take before a customer will switch to you as a service provider. Time translates into the amount of money you will need to carry the business to aquire the new customers. Don't go out and try to under cut people to get work. In the long run it will only hurt you and the industry. Providing high quality services will set you above the rest. Insurance is something else to consider, if you plan on doing municipal work they typically require high amounts of insurance=$ PM me if you want to talk more. Ricky

Jake Hellooooo!!!! to you and the guys

Comment

Working...
                  X