Jetter we built

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter we built

Finally got our homemade jetter completed this week.

Specs:
    16hp Briggs V-twin engine
    CAT pump - 3000psi/5gpm
    1/4" x 200' jetter hose
    3/8" x 50' leader hose(from motor to jetter reel)
    (2)COX REELS - high pressure hose reels
    3/8 high pressure ball valve
    Hand Truck - 600lb. capacity(Northern Tool)
    AquaMole Head assortment - (4) 1/4" heads

We tested it at our shop today with some pvc pipe and some crazy fittings and we're happy with the results so far. Looking forward to trying it out in a real world situation.

We will be targeting grease lines in restaurants, and other large kitchens in our area such as shelters, group homes, banquet halls, catering businesses, etc.

Believe it our not the total cost we have into this project is under $1500. The pressure washer was bought used on craigslist but the rest of the equipment is new.

We already have two jobs lined up. I was thinking of charging $300 per job. So it should pay for itself very quickly.

I'm going to try and add pics to this post but I've never done that yet so it may take a few attempts to figure it out.

I really want to thank all the guys here for the wealth of information that helped me in my design. I'll have to go back to the posts I referenced and formally click on the "Thanks" button.

Attached Files
    Last edited by youngsplumbing; 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM.

Re: Jetter we built

To add more pics just do a reply to your first one on this thread. There's a limit of 5 pics per post normally.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsplumbing View Post
      Finally got our homemade jetter completed this week.

Believe it our not the total cost we have into this project is under $1500. The pressure washer was bought used on craigslist but the rest of the equipment is new.
      Cool! Does the project price include the cost of your time in building?

Mick

Comment

I like. Good job.

Would putting one of the reels on the four wheeled cart be more effiecient?

Or do they need to be separate on the other cart?

J.C.

Comment

very nice

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Whats next?

How about a homemade camera?

Seems like that will take up a lot of space.

The portable jet I bought for $3700 has the 250 ft 3/8 hose reel on top of the engine and pump in an upright cart (large dolly) design so its saves alot of space.

But for the sake of saving a lot of money your time and effort looks well worth it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
              Cool! Does the project price include the cost of your time in building?

Mick
              Build time not included in this figure. Lots of time researching on this forum and the web. Actual build time would be a couple hours to mount the hose to the reels and the reels to the dolly.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I like. Good job.

Would putting one of the reels on the four wheeled cart be more effiecient?

Or do they need to be separate on the other cart?

J.C.
              I suppose there are many configurations that would work. This is just how we chose to do ours. The pressure washer is heavy enough so we didn't want to add another reel and we knew we were going to have one dolly for the jetter reel so we just mounted both to one dolly.
              Last edited by youngsplumbing; 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

very important, you need a foot valve to control the water flow.

ridgid sells a very nice one.

this is a must have safety item. or at least a spray wand valve.

the foot valve is more money, but much more useful.

good job on the jetter.

that's your first one, but not your last one

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  very important, you need a foot valve to control the water flow.

ridgid sells a very nice one.

this is a must have safety item. or at least a spray wand valve.

the foot valve is more money, but much more useful.

good job on the jetter.

that's your first one, but not your last one

rick.
                  I did install a ball valve at the jetter hose reel. I thought this would be sufficient. I based this decision on some posts I seen by ACE SEWER. If it doesn't work out for us we may end up adding a foot valve down the road.

I'm sure the foot valve would make maneuvering the jetter hose easier (having two hands). This is a skill I am going to have to learn (flipping the hose). Any input or little tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks again Rick for the feedback. Your past posts and Alex's from ACE SEWER were most helpful.

Comment

the ball valve is good as a shut off, but not a safety valve.

when you're jetting and something happens, the ball valve requires you to let go of the hose to grab the valve.

lets say your jetting and you accidentally pull the hose too far back. the nozzle and hose take off like an out of control rocket ship. with a foot valve all you do is step off, a pretty natural reaction.

believe me the first time something happens, you wished you had a foot valve or other spring loaded shut off valve.

even my big jetter has a remote control to shut it off from 100' away.

it's a safety issue, not a convenience issue.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

I have seen the damage that can be done by a hydrolaser to someone and it is not pretty, get yourself a foot valve pronto. You will not be sorry, but if you don't get you might be. Rick is not exaggerating one bit about the forces and danger involved.

when you're jetting and something happens, the ball valve requires you to let go of the hose to grab the valve.

lets say your jetting and you accidentally pull the hose too far back. the nozzle and hose take off like an out of control rocket ship. with a foot valve all you do is step off, a pretty natural reaction.

believe me the first time something happens, you wished you had a foot valve or other spring loaded shut off valve.

rick.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Couple questions:

How is your pricing structured for jet work. Do you charge per line or do you charge a flat rate for a certain amount of time? The company we've been using has a towable jetter and his rate is $450. I believe this covers his time for an hour so we have had him do multiple lines within the allotted time (multiple catch basins in a parking lot even though we only needed one unplugged). As a professional courtesy he has also stayed on site longer than the hour to clear a tough situation and stuck to the $450 price as long as it was not too much over the time limit.

As I stated in my original post I was thinking of charging $300. I know rates may vary based on location but does this seem about right?

My other question is a forum related question. I have not been here too long so could someone explain about the "nominated posts", "thread of the week award", "blog", and the "Thanks" button. I don't want to piss anyone off so I clicked "Thanks" for everyone who posted on my thread. What is the proper etiquite? I don't remember all these items when I first joined this site. Is there an explanation of these things I could read about. To be honest I haven't gone to the FAQ yet to check it out, thought it might be easier if someone could clue me in...Thanks...or I guess I should thank you by clicking...LOL

Comment

i use "thanks" when i really agree with what the person wrote.

it could be beacuse they were right on, funny, or took the words right out of my mouth

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

rick.
                              Rick is RIGHT for once

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              I was called out to a job that I use to use my K-7500 on. I thought I`d try the jetter as it`s a real hard place to get to. You have to back about a 1/4 mile down a little path covered with trees.
                              Well I had to work about 20` from the C/O`s as a tree had fallen right on the path.
                              I pulled a little to much hose out of the C/O when I was back jetting and it took off like a Rocket! I liked to crap my pants ducking the hose while it was in flight.
                              Damn thing was trying to get me before I could get it shut down.....rotflmao

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X