X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running traps, Whole house traps

In S.F. the older homes have a whole house trap at the sidewalk. How does this impact
    drain cleaning!!!! Just curious, Thanks
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Running traps, Whole house traps

They make drain cleaners a lot of money

About half the main stoppages I get are the result of the running trap.

Either the solids get stuck there or the trap bottom has been broken by a careless plumber.

Usually 5 minutes with a tage plunger and It's clear. If it's broken I file a sewer report with the city and they dig it up, fix it and install a cleanout. If the sewer runs out the back of the house, the homeowner is responsible for repairs.

Usually it takes longer to locate the trap than it does to clear it. Most homeowner don't even know they have one.

Comment

I clean house traps with a closet auger. It gets them clean, then flush them with a hose and nozzle and hot water. Then I flush about a roll of paper to make sure. Some of the towns around me require them. Ten minutes to get them clear. Job security thanks to the local codes.
      WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
      ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I do the same as chauncey, quick and easy, CAN e messy if you open the house side first thought! always open the streetside first!!!! and lead fitall plugs are your friend!!

Comment

We have zero house traps here. Never seen one except in books.

Why do they have them? Weren't the houses properly trapped & vented even long ago?

Why not take them out?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I found one years ago in my town ..I cut it out never been back...
            What was i thinking..........

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              We have zero house traps here. Never seen one except in books.

Why do they have them? Weren't the houses properly trapped & vented even long ago?

Why not take them out?

Thanks.

J.C.
              I have seen plenty. They are required in new york (suffolk county)...I have no idea why? They seem totally redundant to me.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                That brings up an interesting thought....I'll start a thread.

J.C.

Comment

I only see those here at trailer parks because trailer plumbing sucks.

Never for homes or businesses.

Sounds like drain cleaner paradise over there.

Do they allow you to ignore the fixture traps in the home or business in that situation?

Sounds like a unhealthy situation.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                    I have two in town that I do about every three months.

One is the town Library. When I first did them I wrote a report informing them of the need to bypass, knowing they were about to do a Major renovation. The third time i did them they were in the middle of the renovation and just did the concrete(still wet) pour for all the new piping. I again explained the need to bypass to the GC. Again, my opinion was ignored.
                    Now I charge the full price of a main snaking to show up, take in a cow glove, trash bag, and a pipe wrench. Take off the cap, reach in, pull out the debris,and put the cap back on. 15min in and out.

Too bad for them.
                    I told all parties involved at one time or another, but apparently the opinion of a lowly drain cleaner doesn't count.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      I have two in town that I do about every three months.

One is the town Library. When I first did them I wrote a report informing them of the need to bypass, knowing they were about to do a Major renovation. The third time i did them they were in the middle of the renovation and just did the concrete(still wet) pour for all the new piping. I again explained the need to bypass to the GC. Again, my opinion was ignored.
                      Now I charge the full price of a main snaking to show up, take in a cow glove, trash bag, and a pipe wrench. Take off the cap, reach in, pull out the debris,and put the cap back on. 15min in and out.

Too bad for them.
                      I told all parties involved at one time or another, but apparently the opinion of a lowly drain cleaner doesn't count.
                      We must have hit submit within seconds of each other

JINX

Lenny

Comment

I'm guessing about 3/4 of the homes I visit have a whole house trap in the basement. Of those, 2/3 Plus, have a trap bypass clean out installed so getting to the main is no big deal, but 1/3 or less have no way to get to the main with out going through the trap, limiting me to an arrow head.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          I'm guessing about 3/4 of the homes I visit have a whole house trap in the basement. Of those, 2/3 Plus, have a trap bypass clean out installed so getting to the main is no big deal, but 1/3 or less have no way to get to the main with out going through the trap, limiting me to an arrow head.
                          What is the benefit of these whole house traps?

To keep the methane from the city getting in the home?

Dont the fixture traps do that or are they not required with a whole house trap?

If fixture traps are required what is the reason for the whole house trap?

I'm confused at what the benefit would be.

Sounds like some roto rooter franchisees are on these city councils or plumbing boards.

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                            What is the benefit of these whole house traps?

To keep the methane from the city getting in the home?

Dont the fixture traps do that or are they not required with a whole house trap?

If fixture traps are required what is the reason for the whole house trap?

I'm confused at what the benefit would be.

Sounds like some roto rooter franchisees are on these city councils.

Back in the day (dates????)the "whole house" was trapped via the "whole house" trap. Each fixture was not trapped as we do now.

Whole house traps are not installed now. I'd guess (and this is just a guess) the practice stopped in the 40's????????

Comment

In new york all fixtures are trapped a swell as main house trap. Most house traps are in a in garage / basement area have a street side and house side cleanout access as wrench spinner mentioned and make for pretty easy cleaning. I think they're excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X