Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any house-hold methods for drain cleaning?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any house-hold methods for drain cleaning?

We have two drains that seem to be starting to get slower at draining water and both use the stopper which is attached so tough to remove that... Anyway what methods besides using those expensive drain cleaners can be used as a drain cleaner?
    Builders South London

Re: Any house-hold methods for drain cleaning?

My wife pulls the hair out of the drain with tweezers.

Comment

What kind of drains? sinks? if so pull the traps off and have a look there. Anything deeper will require some equipment and some knowledge.

if they are floor drains, suck them out with a wet vac and see if that helps

if they are tubs, pick all the hair you can get to out of them... if they are the toe-tap stoppers that you push once to put them down and again to put them back up, they do unscrew and your problem is likely right there.
      They have a knurled knob sticking up out of the middle, and a larger diameter disk lower. hold the disky pare so it doesnt turn and unscrew the knob from the disk part. underneath you will find a brass tube thingie with slots in it for a big scewdriver. unscrew this and the stopper will come out and you will find a wad of hair under it.

avoid using chemicals
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        avoid using chemicals
        if it is built up sludge in the trap you can use an enzyme such as Roebic K-66 or Consume by Spartan, follow the manufacturers recommendations and it will help. anything more then call a pro

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I too like the enzyme for slow drains or just maintence but try plugging the overflow with a small plunger/wet rag and hit it with a wet vac. Alot of times this can be done with out taking the pop up out.

Comment

Working...
          X