Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the Love of drains

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
    The only time I do anything for a discount is with a repeat customer.
    First time out, they pay full price
    me too most of my cost is getting the customer. once i have them i can offer them the same service at a better rate
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

funny how i asked for success stories and this is what you give me

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
        any good stories of breaking out on your own and doing your own thing. If so How did you start, what did you invest, drive, what kind of equipment, employees, how did you get customers, all the details. Im just in the mood for a good success story.

It sounds like you are more in the mood to have someone hold your hand and tell you what to do since you are "starting your own business". Nothing wrong with it but be honest with your request

I gotta agree with the folks here who say your name makes you sound like a Hack.

Don't be the cheap guy It's not worth the headaches ( trust me on this), you will get the work if you do a good job, word will get around...

Okie

Comment

thanx for the attention and holding my hand

Comment

As a drain cleaner, I think your name makes you look like a hack, but no matter what your name is I don't ever intend to call you for your services anyway. So my opinion "don't mean jack".

If your intention is to target Drain cleaners and Plumbers from across the country as your customer base, I say change your name to 'The most expensive guy in town'. I guess for some reason that will make you look better to us.

If your intention is to target paying customers, I say keep the name, 'Drains Done Cheap' if it's working for you and your getting the type of customers you want, or you could try 'Drains Done Expensive, But the Best' Co. and see how that works out for ya.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Hey now, thats me 'The most expensive guy in town'
              and I like being that guy come pay day. You will NEVER make it being CHEAP trust me
              If your only worth $10.00 then only charge $10.00. I feel my time and experience is worth more. I know what I`m doing and I expect to get paid my worth
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I've seen people being a little harsh to you here on the forum.Dont let it break your spirit! Everybody has to start somewhere and I assure you most of them didnt start with 60,000 dollar jetters.I worked for a large company who charged crazy prices too.I know that feeling of shame & disgust you feel when you get home at night.I commend you for breaking away and attempting to go out on your own.It wont be easy but nothing worth having comes easy. Well unless you win the lottery

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                  Hey now, thats me 'The most expensive guy in town'
                  and I like being that guy come pay day. You will NEVER make it being CHEAP trust me
                  If your only worth $10.00 then only charge $10.00. I feel my time and experience is worth more. I know what I`m doing and I expect to get paid my worth

I'm NOT saying BE the cheap guy.
                  I'm saying don't advertise as 'The most expensive'.
                  I have to admit as a "pro", I see the name 'Drains Done Cheap' and I think, hack and MR.$49.99, but impressing us with a "good" name will not pay even one of his bills.
                  We don't know this guys work ethic or his prices, for all we know, he IS "the most expensive guy in town".

Try sending out two fliers to two different parts of town.

South side:
                  You may pay an arm and a leg, but when we're done you're sewer will be ALL CLEAR.

North side:
                  We won't CLEAR out your wallet, only your sewer. ALL CLEAR.

I'm guessing most of your calls would come from the North side.
                  Why? It's the age of "The Wall-Marts". America wants it NOW and we want it CHEAP.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
                    I've seen people being a little harsh to you here on the forum.Dont let it break your spirit! Everybody has to start somewhere and I assure you most of them didnt start with 60,000 dollar jetters.I worked for a large company who charged crazy prices too.I know that feeling of shame & disgust you feel when you get home at night.I commend you for breaking away and attempting to go out on your own.It wont be easy but nothing worth having comes easy. Well unless you win the lottery

Tuff Luv

BUT don't be the guy that says "I can do it for less than that guy should I charge $300 since he charges $450,
                    Be they guy that says " I have developed a realistic business plan and worked out my overhead costs and have made an informed estimate to establish my hourly rate...

It will not be easy BUT it will be easier if you plan accordingly

Large companies have large overhead and have their place in this world as well ...
                    "Shame and Disgust " sounds like you worked for crooks not plumbers... ( I won't pretend to know your situation)

Since I started and run my own one man business (second year) I know it is the fool who does not realize exactly how much it costs to stay in business legally, tool costs alone would surprise most hands that work for large companies...

"HI, my name is josh and have been cleaning drains for about 4 years along with service plumbing. I just purchased a small work van to start doing drains on my own, and i need to know what machine or machines will give my the most bang for my buck.
                    Would a k-60 work for my company if I was only doing 4-6 main lines about 100 ft. How well does it work with smaller drain lines. What cable do you reccomend for the two different applications. Would i be better off with a big and small drum machine? And speaking of drum machines anybody familiar with speedway."

This may be a case of if ya gotta ask what machines to buy you may not be ready to go off on your own...

Josh: Are you still working for the other company and plan to moonlight as you build your business?

Slink: I agree some are a little tuff around here BUT based on all of the information that has been given by Josh IMO he is not making informed decisions...

Example: I just bought an ambulance, What should I put in it since I'm gonna be a paramedic? signed: Cheap-o-medic

Kinda screams HACK to me or at least someone who is not ready yet

just my 2 cents...

Okie

Comment

Yes, I asked what machine would be best because I am only familar with spartans and the k1500 and of course the 60,000 jetter that got used once a month, simply wondering if there was something better, have you personally used every single machine out there have you ever asked for advice on a tool or your business.

Comment

Looks like my point was missed... That's to bad

Good luck in your business Drainsdonecheap

Okie

Comment

My Greatest Success Story

I'll offer this example of why starting out with "drains done cheap" may be a bad idea. In my opinion, this will be the better advice than what kind of machine to recommend or what insurance to get, although those are important.

When I first started on my own in Jan 06 I said to myself I'll start out cheap so word will spread fast. It spread fast alright, every cheap S.O.B. in town was ringing my phone. They were even complaining about the $68 I was charging to unstop kitchen sinks.

When the numbers started coming in, I realized that $68 drains was going to put me out of business quickly.

So I raise my price to $75, same amount of complaints as when $68.

$85, same amount of complaints.

$95, same amount of complaints.

I finally raised it to my current price (I'm not mentioning here) that keeps food on my families table, pays for my gas, insurance, tools, taxes, etc.

I'm now set comfortably between the $40 handyman, and the $225 national rooter chain. Guess how many customers complain about price now. The same amount complain now as when I was charging $68. The complainers will complain no matter what you charge.

Now my customers spread the word because I do quality work, they trust me, and my prices are "reasonable" (not cheap). I guess you could say this is my greatest success story.

If you stick with that name and realize later that you should be charging more, you'll kind of be stuck and have to argue with the cheapies. Also the name does hint at poor quality, so people that are willing to pay more may stay away. Low price = low quality, Its why I dont buy electronics from walmart, and why I dont buy tools with moving parts from Harbor Freight.

This is just friendly advice. I wish you luck with whatever you do.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

EDIT: You've experienced thread drift. All you really asked for was some success stories. Most success stories are the same. Work very hard, be honest, and don't expect riches overnight.

Businessmen on the Forum from around the U.S. are trying to teach you from their mistakes. You can listen to them or make your own mistakes like they had too.

Good luck. Hustle. Be proud. Don't give up.

Times will be hard. Times will be good too.

J.C.
                            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM.

Comment

thanks for your advice hebert, I'll still stick with my name. I love the attention. It sounds like are prices arent to far apart.

Comment

Keep the name and see what you get in the end.

You will get the people that tell you when your done "oh, I`ll have to pay you later because I don't have the money now"

The people that Wright bad checks

The people we pro`s have black listed

Get my point?????

I know I have had my fill of em just this year alone. It`s only gonna get worse as times get rougher.
                                I wish we had you working in our town so I wouldn't have to put up with these dead beats. We had a guy just like you and now he`s gone working for someone else... Oh God how I miss him, I use to give him every call I got that started with "Can I make Payments?"
                                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X