X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For the Love of drains

save your bad checks, keep taking to the bank they were drawn on, if there is every enough money in that customers account you can get them to cash it. Im changing my name to "JOSHS QUALITY SEWER CLEANING"

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
      any good stories of breaking out on your own and doing your own thing. If so How did you start, what did you invest, drive, what kind of equipment, employees, how did you get customers, all the details. Im just in the mood for a good success story.
      A couple of years helping a buddy install. Four more years of evenings and weekends while I was at my day job. (Irrigation contracting doesn't have an apprentice program) Gave out my business card to everybody that I came in contact with, and I mean everybody including the pizza delivery guy!

Lots of training courses to get more and better knowledge. Read everything in sight to get more knowledge about running a business and how to do a better job playing in the dirt.

Hooked up with a couple of General Contractors that specialize in high end custom homes. Made VERY sure that every job was perfect. The Generals still tell me that they love when I show up to one of their job-sites because the people are always happy when I'm there. Rule #2 - The customer is not always right, but keep them happy - talk to them, about *their* interests.

Joined the provincial Construction Association and went to every meeting and every meet & greet. Talked to every tradesman, contractor and business owner. Went back to visit every client that I ever had, said hi to them, and handed them a card. You'll be surprised how much work you can get if people like you, know who you are, and know how to get hold of you.

Went to more classes, gave out more cards, a lot on fridge magnets.

Found a rattlesnake in one of my irrigation ditches one morning, called the city by-law people to get rid of it, took lots of pictures and sent them to the local paper. They did a little story - free publicity, my company name is in the paper again.

On the job before sunrise, and leaving after sundown. Make sure your flashlight is a good one.

Now a lot of my clients are referring their friends, neighbours to me. I get a lot of jobs from existing clients friends and neighbours. I get a lot of jobs, just by knowing what I’m doing and how to fix (other contractors mistakes) things quickly.

Making sure that I’m not just “another contractor” that doesn’t show up on time. Work like your life depends on it, but make sure it’s working smarter, not just harder. If you make an appointment - keep it.

Rule #3 - If you make a promise, keep it no matter what. Keep that promise even if it means loosing your business. Rule #4 - Don't make stupid promises.

I have a 422SX Ditch Witch vibratory trencher with a backhoe attachment. Still a one man operation now, and for the foreseeable future.

And the very important Rule #1 – Make very sure that you keep your wife happy!

Mick

Comment

thanks for your advice hebert, I'll still stick with my name. I love the attention. It sounds like are prices arent to far apart.
        If our prices arent too far apart, then arent you more reasonable than cheap?

What are the expensive and cheap prices in your area?

Kitchen sink prices here

Cheap $40, expensive $225

Reasonable $100 to $160, depends on customers perception of course

Cheap = "Discount Rooter" or "Budget Rooter"

Reasonable = "Reasonable Rooter"

Expensive = "Rip-Off Rooter"

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

save your bad checks, keep taking to the bank they were drawn on, if there is every enough money in that customers account you can get them to cash it. Im changing my name to "JOSHS QUALITY SEWER CLEANING"
          Then my work is done here

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post

Found a rattlesnake in one of my irrigation ditches one morning, called the city by-law people to get rid of it, took lots of pictures and sent them to the local paper. They did a little story - free publicity, my company name is in the paper again.

Nice!!!

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
              Nice!!!
              Not sure who was more freightened the 30" rattler, or the two guys with a 4' 'snake stick'.

Attachment

Attachment

I hope the pics aren't too big.

Mick
              Attached Files

Comment

This has been my experience as well. I charge EXACTLY what I need to charge to pay my business expenses, pay my salary and make a profit. No more or no less....just right where I need. I found that what hebert said is right on. No matter what you charge, certain people will complain, and others won't...so charge whatever you need to operate the business.

"drainsdonecheap" makes it seem like you are advertising as the cheapest in town...AND NOBODY WANTS TO BE THAT GUY! We all know him, he's the one driving the piece-o-crap van and headed to bankruptcy court any day now.

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                My Greatest Success Story

I'll offer this example of why starting out with "drains done cheap" may be a bad idea. In my opinion, this will be the better advice than what kind of machine to recommend or what insurance to get, although those are important.

When I first started on my own in Jan 06 I said to myself I'll start out cheap so word will spread fast. It spread fast alright, every cheap S.O.B. in town was ringing my phone. They were even complaining about the $68 I was charging to unstop kitchen sinks.

When the numbers started coming in, I realized that $68 drains was going to put me out of business quickly.

So I raise my price to $75, same amount of complaints as when $68.

$85, same amount of complaints.

$95, same amount of complaints.

I finally raised it to my current price (I'm not mentioning here) that keeps food on my families table, pays for my gas, insurance, tools, taxes, etc.

I'm now set comfortably between the $40 handyman, and the $225 national rooter chain. Guess how many customers complain about price now. The same amount complain now as when I was charging $68. The complainers will complain no matter what you charge.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  This has been my experience as well. I charge EXACTLY what I need to charge to pay my business expenses, pay my salary and make a profit. No more or no less....just right where I need. I found that what hebert said is right on. No matter what you charge, certain people will complain, and others won't...so charge whatever you need to operate the business.

"drainsdonecheap" makes it seem like you are advertising as the cheapest in town...AND NOBODY WANTS TO BE THAT GUY! We all know him, he's the one driving the piece-o-crap van and headed to bankruptcy court any day now.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X