X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Love of drains

any good stories of breaking out on your own and doing your own thing. If so How did you start, what did you invest, drive, what kind of equipment, employees, how did you get customers, all the details. Im just in the mood for a good success story.

Re: For the Love of drains

I didn't succees by being "cheap." Actually I hate that word, cheapness is a pet peeve of mine. (There are a bunch of cheapkskates on this forum though! )I'd rather pay more and get good quality than pay less and get sh!t quality. But I guess I am a rarity. Most people nowadays shop at walmart and expect everything to be cheap. So maybe you'll do fine.

I succeeded so far by offering the best service in town. (that is my goal anyway.)
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thats nice, cuz you could never get quality and a fair price like lets say Rigid tools, very very nice tools at a decent price. Your comparing apples and oranges dude if you have no idea about my service, my overhead, my taxes, if i save money is it a crime to pass it on to the customer. Do you really no how "cheap" my prices are compared to competitors. Besides working for the rooter franchise I turned my back on a lot of low income familys who needed help at a decent price who I never would have seen if the company would have a least give them a ballpark price but no you got to get to the house to put your hussle on. If i can do it half the price and make twice the profit why not or should I keep working for the man. By the way that wasnt a good story.

Comment

Sorry, your name just rubs me wrong. Good luck to you in your business. Don't mind me, I'm a crazy a$$h013. sometimes.

Comment

Ridgid tools are expensive as hell! I bought a seesnake setup for $9000. I don't buy their tools because they are cheap! Far from it, I buy them because they are the BEST.

Comment

Well I beleive their cheap because they last a very long time so you dont need to keep replacing them so they just keep paying for them selves but i just wanted to hear your start up story

Comment

I started by obtaining my state plumbing license.

I got my liability insurance, I bought a van, I loaded it with the tools I had and started buying more tools. I started advertising and investing all the money I could back into the business.
              I am still investing in the business, it takes time to be a success.
              As plumberrick says, "It doesn't happen overnight."

Comment

Im about to go to sleep so ill give you the short version

Ill title this Lemons to Lemonade or Git'r Dun

unhappily working for the man
                katrina
                homeless
                jobless
                truckless
                fema trailer
                no more rent for a couple years (thank you army corp of engineers for your hack levees)
                offered to come back to work three months after storm
                no rent, no longer need job
                buy van
                refinish flooded machines
                insurance
                ad in paper
                quality work
                word of mouth
                repeat customers
                income increases
                i become the man
                move out of trailer (thanks fema)
                nice apartment
                new computer
                ridgid forum
                feeling of belonging
                addictive
                learning and teaching and joking
                signing off
                please change your name
                guaranteed to get cheap customers
                cheap name hints that service will be cheap and therefore lack quality
                good night
                peace

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  please change your name
                  guaranteed to get cheap customers
                  cheap name hints that service will be cheap and therefore lack quality
                  good night
                  peace
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

standing behind my name and standing behind my work

Comment

well that is your perogitive, most of us just explained why we didnt necessarily agree with it.

Comment

As far as marketing goes lots of places start off with low prices to build clientele.
                        We give out coupons, with a rate sheet, so people can get to know us at a discount. Then they know the regular price but don't pay it until they are a repeat customer and theoretically like our work.

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
                          standing behind my name and standing behind my work
                          You sound like a cheap hack with that name.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            As far as marketing goes lots of places start off with low prices to build clientele.
                            We give out coupons, with a rate sheet, so people can get to know us at a discount. Then they know the regular price but don't pay it until they are a repeat customer and theoretically like our work.
                            The only time I do anything for a discount is with a repeat customer.
                            First time out, they pay full price

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              The only time I do anything for a discount is with a repeat customer.
                              First time out, they pay full price
                              Agreed!
                              Over the years I've had countless potential clients promise the world if I gave them a discount right up front.
                              I've had General Contractors promises that they would 'Recommend me only" to their customers if I gave them their job at or below cost. What good would that do me? By the time that a home owner moves into a new home in a development, the general is long gone.
                              I've even had a small chain store guarantee that they all would go nowhere else if I gave all of them a 'deal' on their maintenance contract for all eight stores. I tried that at the beginning. Then one of them went with a competitor for $15.00 difference in a one time installation on a $375.00 job. The competitor was using a cheaper part that wouldn’t do the job. I found out that they were going with whoever was the cheapest for what ever the job was, not caring about any kind quality. They also sold that kind of merchandise. It would have cost them even less if they used one of my coupons, but they didn't want to listen. They told me that I was trying to gouge them. Then they told me that they didn’t care what kind of quality went in, because, (and this is the best part) they said, “It’s covered under the maintenance agreement anyway, we don’t care if he uses cheaper parts. They went ballistic when I bumped up my maintenance rates for all of the other stores to normal pricing. But I had the agreement in writing for all of the stores to be using me for all of their work for the tradeoff of the maintenance contract for just over my cost.
                              I didn't need those kinds of headaches. No more. I give coupons to residential regulars. All my pricing is up front. If I give discounts other than my coupons, for one reason or another, easy digging, smaller job than expected, not all parts having to be replaced, blah, blah, blah, …(when I’m writing up the invoice, not before) people are even happier. They are ecstatic that the invoiced price is below quoted price….and they get a coupon for next time. Everything is always in writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X