Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIYer machine for roots

Hi gentlemen,

I need something to keep the roots out of the 4" main line at my
    house. Getting tired of paying my plumber $100 every 4 months.
    I've put salt in the tanks and root killer in the lines but to no avail.
    Was looking at the k380 or K400 to run through the main once a month
    now that the plumber has cleared the line. Figured it could keep the
    roots at bay. Was looking at the one that has 75 ft 1/2 cable would
    like something that would run 5/8 cable but out of my price range.
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Re: DIYer machine for roots

I'd look into RootX before using a k380-400 on roots, or you could end up paying your Plumber $1000 to remove your broken cable from the line.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

"I've put salt in the tanks "

Your not talking about a septic tank are you?
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

There's always E-bay. I'm sure if you ask the members of this forum they could steer you toward the right piece of equipment. RootX is a good product for regular drain maintenance.

Comment

Find some one in your area that uses vaporooter, unless you are on septic then try rootx.

Comment

depending on the situation replace the line with one that is not messed up, and glue the joints,

I have a K380, and it is not a root machine, I nearly lost a cable in my mother house drain, in roots, and then I went to a larger machine.

either go with a proper machine and cable and cutter, in the RIDGID line up, K750, k7500, K60

or use the root X is probably best for chemical control,

or replace.

root x, probably is best as it foams and fills the pipe, and depending on your location, (some states do not approve of copper sulfate), the problem with the a non foaming agent is that it does not get to the top of the pipe, and the roots need to be full enough to reach the bottom of the pipe,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

root x, probably is best as it foams and fills the pipe, and depending on your location, (some states do not approve of copper sulfate), the problem with the a non foaming agent is that it does not get to the top of the pipe, and the roots need to be full enough to reach the bottom of the pipe,
              Bhd is right if it does not foam its useless.
              Vaporooter is superior to rootx. The foam is more like shaving cream, you don't have to wait an extended period of time before you can use the line, it can be used right after treatment. Vaporooter can only be used by a state licensed applicator, rootx can be done by anyone. Vaporooter can not be used in septic system where rootx can. We use both but give a two year guarantee against regrowth with vaporooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Transam1 View Post
                Hi gentlemen,

I need something to keep the roots out of the 4" main line at my
                house. Getting tired of paying my plumber $100 every 4 months.
                I've put salt in the tanks and root killer in the lines but to no avail.
                Was looking at the k380 or K400 to run through the main once a month
                now that the plumber has cleared the line. Figured it could keep the
                roots at bay. Was looking at the one that has 75 ft 1/2 cable would
                like something that would run 5/8 cable but out of my price range.
                Any suggestions would be helpful.
                Thanks,
                Chris
                $100 is peanuts, you have been lucky to get by so cheap so far. You obviously have a bad sewerline, and it needs to be replaced. Rooting it out with a machine or applying root-killer is a temporary band-aid at best.
                Get some licensed plumbers to give you some estimates on a new permitted sewerline and then you won't be having this problem any more EVER.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I agree with service guy.

I will add cleaning drains is dangerous and is very dangerous for unexperienced people.The cost it would take to get a proper setup to clean out roots would sure take a bite out of replaceing the line thats going to end up getting replaced anyway.If you need it cleaned 3 times a year as you describe the sewer is living on borrowed time.

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
                    I agree with service guy.

I will add cleaning drains is dangerous and is very dangerous for unexperienced people.The cost it would take to get a proper setup to clean out roots would sure take a bite out of replaceing the line thats going to end up getting replaced anyway.If you need it cleaned 3 times a year as you describe the sewer is living on borrowed time.
                    That is what I was thinking, buying a sewer-machine for a single sewerline is a total WASTE of money. Just replace the line, or just waste your money buying a K-750 and then you'll still have to replace the line eventually anyway.
                    WHat's that old saying? Pay me now or pay me later.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. It is not a Septic tank
                      system. I asked the plumber who has been cleaning
                      out my lines if he felt the line was collapsed and he said
                      no ? He said there would be a depression in the ground
                      if it had. The house is probably 50 yrs old but has newer
                      pcv cleanouts. They are at least 25 yrs old as that is when
                      I bought the house. Is there anyway to verify the pipes need replacing
                      before I start digging under my house and tear up the yard or
                      are the symptoms themselves the verification. I did have
                      a new bath added to the house about 15 yrs ago and
                      he tapped into the existing main line. Possibly this is where the
                      roots are making there way in. Any ideas on how much it
                      would run to replace this line ? About 40 foot total line 20ft of
                      which is under the house. I could do the digging myself.
                      Last do most places carry the rootx, don't have a large sum
                      of money currently to invest if it will be in the thousands. I live
                      in N.M. and there doesn't seem to be a core of professionals in
                      the area with your expertise. Most guys seem to fly by the seat
                      of their pants and codes are lax. Does anyone know of any
                      recomendations in this area ?
                      Thanks again,
                      Chris

Comment

I would have someone camera the line and watch them while they do it or insist they provide a video.

It is possible that who ever is snaking the line now is not using the proper equipment/heads to actually remove the roots. I have seen roots grow back in 4 months but its rare.

It's also possible your line is broken.

A camera will confirm the condition of the line. It may be that you have one bad section that can be corrected with out digging up your floor or yard, or it could be that you entire line is trashed and needs to be replaced.

Comment

Thanks Gene,
                          I found the rootx online, I think I'll try that at least for
                          now and see how it works. If it can get me a year or so
                          out of the existing line maybe I can save up some cash
                          to replace the line. The instructions say I must wait about
                          5 weeks to apply as I just had the roots cut.
                          Unfortunatly I live in a small town of about 8,000 to 10,000 people.
                          No one with a camera. Maybe I can get someone out of Albuquerque
                          who has a camera.
                          Thanks again for your assistance.
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                            I would have someone camera the line and watch them while they do it or insist they provide a video.

It is possible that who ever is snaking the line now is not using the proper equipment/heads to actually remove the roots. I have seen roots grow back in 4 months but its rare.

It's also possible your line is broken.

A camera will confirm the condition of the line. It may be that you have one bad section that can be corrected with out digging up your floor or yard, or it could be that you entire line is trashed and needs to be replaced.
                            I agree, I have seen cleaners who go in with only one cutter maybe a 2 1/2" and if it opens they call it good enough. Make sure they use a cutter as big as the pipe for the finale pass. If they just use one head your might try another cleaner. Because there is no sink hole doesn't mean anything. You could try renting a machine but there is a lot of deference in watching it done and doing it, When were cleaning a drain were not just flipping a switch were thinking about keeping from getting electrocuted, keeping the cable from grabbing and breaking our arm or skull, protecting our eyes, protecting the customer and his property, feeling how the cable runs, the sound of the machine, It is dangerous work and there is a lot of brain work and heavy lifting. Times are tuff I can understand where your coming from. A lot of my customers cant pay I don't have enough money to buy my 14 year old son a birthday gift. But I cant just tell them they cant have a toilet because they don't have the money. So I would try a different company and ask them how big of head they run. I have turned a lot of every 6 month clogs in to every few years clog or never clog again. $ 100.00 sounds a little to cheap, if the line stays open 3 or 4 times as long it will save a lot of money getting a better driller.

Comment

Sounds like the guy I'm using. He runs through both cleanouts, 1 toward
                              the street and one towards the house using only one cutter or retractor.
                              Never changes heads. Wonder if I'm a steady customer and he just punches a small hole through. I believe he does use a 3/4 diameter
                              line though. Found a k50 machine on craigslist for $700.
                              Don't think I'll go for it though, sounds like I'll have to pony up
                              for a line eventually. Ordering some rootx for now, hopefully it can
                              get me by for awhile.
                              Thanks everyone,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X