Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Applying Rootx in winter Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Applying Rootx in winter

    I was recently shown information put out by Rootx. This information was contained in a packet that a normal consumer would not see. Nor is this information stated on their web site, or in any of their videos.

    The statement reads:
    "RootX should not be used when the ground is frozen."

    Thats it, no further explanation. I assume the statement is in relation to applying it above ground along sidewalk/driveways, but with the lack of information, it could also mean in pipes as well.

    Anybody else here of this?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

  • #2
    Re: Applying Rootx in winter

    Probably because of its foaming action, which takes water to make it foam, and since that stuff goes all directions, it could instantly freeze, causing a backup in freezing temperatures.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Applying Rootx in winter

      I would say that the roots are dormant which would make the application worthless.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Applying Rootx in winter

        I use Root-X all year long up here in northern Minnesota. Pulled a 3 foot root ball out last week and treated the sewer with Root-X, no problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Applying Rootx in winter

          The reason why we recommend to not apply rootx while the ground is frozen is because the roots may be frozen as well and the contact between rootx and the roots may be limited. Also during the winter time trees are dormant and a contact herbicide should still work but there is potential for failure. As long as the ground is not frozen more than a 12 inches you should be fine.
          Last edited by DanLawrence; 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Applying Rootx in winter

            Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
            The reason why we recommend to not apply rootx while the ground is frozen is because the roots may be frozen as well and the contact between rootx and the roots may be limited. Also during the winter time trees are dormant and a contact herbicide should still work but there is potential for failure. As long as the ground is not frozen more that a 12 inches you should be fine.
            So are you saying, if the pipe is below the frost line it is OK to apply RootX?

            If it's winter the tree is dormant and RootX MIGHT work?

            Lets say the ground is frozen 18" deep but the line is 5' deep. Would you say the roots below 18" are still active?

            I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or confronting with you. I would like to understand root growth and your product more. In fact I requested more information from RootX but have heard nothing.

            I have always been under the impression that roots below the frost line are "active".
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Applying Rootx in winter

              Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              So are you saying, if the pipe is below the frost line it is OK to apply RootX?

              If it's winter the tree is dormant and RootX MIGHT work?

              Lets say the ground is frozen 18" deep but the line is 5' deep. Would you say the roots below 18" are still active?

              I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or confronting with you. I would like to understand root growth and your product more. In fact I requested more information from RootX but have heard nothing.

              I have always been under the impression that roots below the frost line are "active".
              I'll check with a landscaper friend but that sounds like common sense. Also after the roots have "danced" with Edith, I'm sure the roots will be exposed to there more active parts making any root treatment more effective.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                Landscaper states that roots are active "above 45 degrees. If they are at a depth to achieve that temperature, they are active."

                What I was told. Hope it helps.

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                  Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  The reason why we recommend to not apply rootx while the ground is frozen is because the roots may be frozen as well and the contact between rootx and the roots may be limited. Also during the winter time trees are dormant and a contact herbicide should still work but there is potential for failure. As long as the ground is not frozen more that a 12 inches you should be fine.

                  "Dan the Man" good to see you on the forum, these guys will definatly test your knowledge on your product....See you in Long Beach...
                  The Other Rick

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I'll check with a landscaper friend but that sounds like common sense. Also after the roots have "danced" with Edith, I'm sure the roots will be exposed to there more active parts making any root treatment more effective.

                    J.C.
                    make sure to apply rootx immeadiatly after cutting or at least 6week after cutting. the exposed roots will sap over/ scab and rootx will not get to the root of the problem waiting 6 weeks allows the sap to fall off and expose the roots for a drink.

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                      Gene, RootX will still work year round. RootX will work as long as it comes in contact with the roots during different seasons the absorbsion rate is different so in the winter and summer months it may take longer to have a visual kill on the roots. My only concern is that the frost line is not at the level of the pipe. As far as getting info on the product email or call me and and I will have it out today!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                        Thanks Dan,
                        I got the info, Appreciate it
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                          No problem.

                          Hey Rick 1643 thanks buddy I look forward to seeing you at the show and seeing these Ridgid Guys there too they always have a great booth.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Applying Rootx in winter

                            I know this post is a little old, but I was wondering if anyone ever had any personal issues using RootX in the winter. I did it last year and never had an issue. However, I'd like to hear if anyone ran into problems.
                            Michigan plumber | RootX | Buy Bio Clean

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X