K 60 process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K 60 process

Let me see if I follow this. If I feed the cable into the back of the guide hose, into the machine and then down the cleanout by hand until I can't go any further. Ok, then let's say I need to use another section and then another. Won't the cable be sticking out 15' behind the machine anyway until you send it down? I don't see how you could ever have only a foot or so sticking out behind the machine when you're attaching cables? Sorry, I'm lost.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      Let me see if I follow this. If I feed the cable into the back of the guide hose, into the machine and then down the cleanout by hand until I can't go any further. Ok, then let's say I need to use another section and then another. Won't the cable be sticking out 15' behind the machine anyway until you send it down? I don't see how you could ever have only a foot or so sticking out behind the machine when you're attaching cables? Sorry, I'm lost.
      No because I grab the end of the guide with one hand and push the cable in with the other hand. During this entire process, the cable is still in the carrier until I disconnect it from the other cable in the carrier.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        No because I grab the end of the guide with one hand and push the cable in with the other hand. During this entire process, the cable is still in the carrier until I disconnect it from the other cable in the carrier.

I got that part. At some point you're going to have to turn on the machine right? I would think that most of the time you could have many feet still sticking out the back end when you start spinning right? What I'm trying to say is that it's a section of cable 15' long. Let's say I push in 30' and hit an obstruction. I will then hook on another 15' and then start the machine. Do I not have almost 15' spinning behind the machine? How does that work when you're in a finished basement with zero room? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make sure I understand. It really doesn't show that part in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          All you have to do is ask.....

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085

here's Ben in action with his modified cart design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82c9aYZsU0
          With the cart you might as well just use a drum machine. Then he could have used the feeder to pull the cable out, for long distance.

I needed a sectional about three months ago on a rental property with a 4 inch cleanout in the backyard. Old shotgun house on property line on left with no yard access. On the right two ft wide alley separating the next house, gutters along the alley, widens out towards the back where there are two a/c units and concrete steps. Could not get my 26' wide, 250 lb, drum machine back there. Sectional would have been nice. I use a smaller than I would have liked cable, pulled out some tampons, and it hasnt stopped up since. I got lucky it wasnt heavy grease or roots. If that was the case I would of just used my jet.

This was an unusual situation but I'm kicking around the idea of buying a k60 so I can be sure I have as many options at disposal as possible.

That DVDPAK is on top of my list right now, I will be calling for a DEMO.

Can you request a K60 DEMO where you're at?

Comment

No need to apologize, english is my second language so I'm not always clear. The machine stays on the entire process, the cable won't spin unless the handle is depressed. If 30' is in the pipe then you need to add another cable, you're right, 15' of cable is sticking out the back end but it's covered by the guide hose.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Dont know what happened there.

With the cart you might as well just use a drum machine. Then he could have used the feeder to pull the cable out, for long distance.

I needed a sectional about three months ago on a rental property with a 4 inch cleanout in the backyard. Old shotgun house on property line on left with no yard access. On the right two ft wide alley separating the next house, gutters along the alley, widens out towards the back where there are two a/c units and concrete steps. Could not get my 26" wide, 250 lb, drum machine back there. Sectional would have been nice. I use a smaller than I would have liked cable, pulled out some tampons, and it hasnt stopped up since. I got lucky it wasnt heavy grease or roots. If that was the case I would of just used my jet.

This was an unusual situation but I'm kicking around the idea of buying a k60 so I can be sure I have as many options at disposal as possible.

That DVDPAK is on top of my list right now, I will be calling for a DEMO.
              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I got that part. At some point you're going to have to turn on the machine right? I would think that most of the time you could have many feet still sticking out the back end when you start spinning right? What I'm trying to say is that it's a section of cable 15' long. Let's say I push in 30' and hit an obstruction. I will then hook on another 15' and then start the machine. Do I not have almost 15' spinning behind the machine? How does that work when you're in a finished basement with zero room? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to make sure I understand. It really doesn't show that part in the video.
                30' is in the drain 15' is behind the machine the guide hose is behind the machine to contain the 15' of cable. It reallly does work.

Comment

Which is exactly why my K-60 is ONLY used when I can't get my K7500 to the access. It plays "second fiddle", while the big drum gets most of the work. A sectional is just TOO SLOW and TOO MUCH WORK! I prefer to let the auto-feed drum do all the work. Connecting, disconnecting, pushing and pulling cables all day and making a mess is something I prefer to AVOID if I can.
                  Don't get me wrong, the K-60 is a great tool, but an auto-feed drum makes most jobs faster and easier for sure.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                    You're basically right but I made a "drum machine" that spins at 600 rpm, has a clutch, can do a bathtub or mainline and more importantly, I can pick up and put in my truck with one hand. You can't do any of this with a drum machine. As far as the feeder, you pull the cable straight from the pipe into the carrier so it actually goes real quick. Gotta try it out, look how long Rick resisted sectional and now a forum reader would think he invented them by his results.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I also have a few questions about the K60. I currently use a Spartan drum machine, same machine for 9 years, same cable, no problems. All my cleanouts are in the basement, none outside. Lot's of basements finished, carptet etc.
                      I would love to switch over to the K60 because of back problems and hauling the drum machine up and down stairs etc. but what about the mess? I would like to hear about some of your situations and how you operate in an area like described above? How do you keep from dripping dirty water all over the place etc.? I saw Ricks pictures from the other post and the cables are all over the place. In a finished basement or a basement with very little room next to the cleanout I don't see how the K60 would work. What am I missing? Thanks, seriously thinking of buying a K60.
                      Request a DEMO of the K60 so you can be sure it's what you need.

Comment

Lenny, I would recommend you get a k-60. I am like you in that I use and PREFER drums for the most part, but I have to admit....the K-60 has gotten me into remote accesses MANY times! It can handle pretty big stoppages, and yet be carried on a roof, under a crawlspace, etc. The k-60 is a tool that should be on any serious drain-cleaner's truck imo.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          You're basically right but I made a "drum machine" that spins at 600 rpm, has a clutch, can do a bathtub or mainline and more importantly, I can pick up and put in my truck with one hand. As far as the feeder, you pull the cable straight from the pipe into the carrier so it actually goes real quick. Gotta try it out, look how long Rick resisted sectional and now a forum reader would think he invented them by his results.
                          No on the 600rpm, but 160 is plenty.
                          No on the clutch, this would be a nice feature on the drum.
                          Yes on the bathtub, but I need to go get the smaller drum machine.
                          Yes on the mainline, feeder makes life easier, but getting from point A to point B can be pain.
                          Yes on the pick up with one hand, one hand to flip the toggle that operates the winch on the ramp.

I used sectional only for two years working for another company and found it back breaking. When I started my own company I went with drum.

I get your point though, your set up is very versatile. And I could use a sectional every once and a while for hard to get to areas.

I'm not a "fanboy" type where I'm limited to one way or the highway. For example, I like Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. I like Xbox, Wii, and Playstation. And I would surely like a K60 to compliment my tool arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            30' is in the drain 15' is behind the machine the guide hose is behind the machine to contain the 15' of cable. It reallly does work.

Thanks, I asked this earlier but didn't see a response. How long is the guide, is it 15'? Also, when you run the 15' through the guide and need more cable, I guess you would have to run another cable up the back of the guide, disconnect the guide and then attach the new cable? How are the cables attached to each other? Has anyone ever lost a cable because it disconnected? I know, lot's of questions.
                            I will call Ridgid and see about a demo, thanks again.

Comment

Thanks, I asked this earlier but didn't see a response. How long is the guide, is it 15'? Also, when you run the 15' through the guide and need more cable, I guess you would have to run another cable up the back of the guide, disconnect the guide and then attach the new cable? How are the cables attached to each other? Has anyone ever lost a cable because it disconnected? I know, lot's of questions.
                              K60 DEMO Request form...

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/Product-Info-Request/

Comment

Dang,I'm sorry,
                                Yes,the guide hose is 15'

Still no light going off over questions.
                                Nothing on record with cables coming disconnected.

Comment

Working...
                                X