• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: roof vent or pull toilet

I too agree with Dunbar.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ditto.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        Ditto.
        joey, i suggest you go get a ladder as dinner is on the roof tonight.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          I guess I'm a good salesman. I sell clean outs . Most of our homes lack them. I feel I've just done the customer a good service. And It ain't no $100. I'm with Dunbar on this one.
          R.RTR. HERE ,ONLY GOES ON A ROOF WITH 2 MEN NOW! IT AIN'T CHEAP!

Even when the pipe is under gardens, concrete, trees? What about sewers that are 3 feet down? $100?
          Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 03-30-2009, 12:07 AM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
            It's after 9:00 PM at night and you have not fed your lovely wife yet?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              nobody spends less money than me on advertising. and i doubt that anyone 1 person has a data base of over 1500 customers with no advertising. so something is working on my end.

i don't take uneducated risk. i do roofs when it's safe to do it and in all the years, all i've ever lost was a blade that rolled off the roof.

seeing you don't own the proper equipment to access a roof safely, i suggest you stay on the ground.

rick.

And since Gear Junkie (Ben) had to get on you about your pricing being subjectively lower than the market average...

I'd have 1500 customers without advertising as well, maybe 4000. But that's not the point I'm driving home here.

And to make a statement about "proper equipment"...

aren't you the fellow toting the plunger to unclog sinks and toilets?

Please, I can type red too but for god's sake, give me a break before you return statements back at me.

I don't use plungers
              I don't get on roofs to clear drains
              I charge in the market average and higher most times
              I install cleanouts, and the $100 was material costs, not labor
              Instead of being 'cheaper' by going on the roof, you could take the hit and put the cleanout in for the customer for no cost if they can't afford it, and have that luxury of "INDUSTRY STANDARD" the next time it clogs

I know without a doubt that if you go and unclog a toilet, a sink with a plunger, I know you're undercharging. Have to be....to keep smiles on those customers faces and justifying a legit charge for that move.

They made special tools to make tasks possible to warrant charges that go beyond $7.99 equipment.

Now I'm being nice tonight because I know your wife is online.

I'm still having problems understanding how the sectional machines are always being sold on ebay all the time, like "new" condition almost always and finding other equipment like what I own is rare, and beat to hell and back and coming from a retired plumber, not one that's out of work or check the box for questioning why it's being sold.

I can however see rooftop access with mechanicals like AC systems....that makes sense. But in the training I've received in drain cleaning always put the attitude at "always get that machine as close to the clog as you possibly can" to deliver torque to that attachment on the end of the cable.

But for the record,

I don't clear drains with plungers, I don't undercharge for my work, I don't get on roofs when I can provide the customer with the needed cleanout access when I'm subjecting them to considerably higher charges by having to pull that toilet.

Crawl spaces do not apply when a main stack has to enter into that crawlspace, and a quick removal of the toilet *already* with cutting that stack and putting a cleanout in is the fix.

Leave the toilet installed next time, pull the panel out, carefully run that cable with the tee placed in the most favorable position to obtain access.

Everyone here so far keeps reinterating that a cleanout is the best method, why is everyone darting from the logic and doing it.

Sometimes I'm harder on my fellow plumbers than the customers, because if you ask a property owner why the plumber isn't doing his job....you then see why I mention these issues.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post

Rick.
                rick,you do the cooking too!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  rick,you do the cooking too!
                  Nope. He cooks when he takes me out to dinner. Dinner magically appears before him when he gets home from work.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                    Even when the pipe is under gardens, concrete, trees? What about sewers that are 3 feet down? $100?
                    Remember,I have a back hoe , 18 Yrd. dump truck 3 jack hammers . NO PROBLEM
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Let's try to calm down and agree to disagree. It would be a shame to close a legitimate thread over a silly difference of opinion.

Mark

Comment

Ditto.

I know your reason for this statement. You care about your husband a lot, and you know the risks involved. The last thing you want is him to get hurt.

But, I must ask...

how far are the computers you two are..on..are apart from each other?

LOL!

I'm busting ribs here in KY laughing out loud cause I'm being good tonight, I really am trying. LMAO!!!

Oops, horse again.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          you could take the hit and put the cleanout in for the customer for no cost if they can't afford it

I had to re-read this a couple times to make sure I read it right. ????

Does not compute.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                            I know your reason for this statement. You care about your husband a lot, and you know the risks involved. The last thing you want is him to get hurt.

But, I must ask...

how far are the computers you two are..on..are apart from each other?

LOL!

I'm busting ribs here in KY laughing out loud cause I'm being good tonight, I really am trying. LMAO!!!

Oops, horse again.

I just said it to get Rick going. I am on the phone with my phone-a-friend. He likes to make me laugh until I almost tinkle in my pants If I don't run to the bathroom then it hasn't been a good night. Rick is in the other room going back and forth between this sight and a couple of others.
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I do both roof vents and pull toilets. Matters whats best for ME!
                              Small bathroom super white artic carpets I am on the roof. Raining windstorm and I pull the toilet! I think there are a million reasons for either way I just pick it at the time
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I just said it to get Rick going. I am on the phone with my phone-a-friend. He likes to make me laugh until I almost tinkle in my pants If I don't run to the bathroom then it hasn't been a good night. Rick is in the other room going back and forth between this sight and a couple of others.

I have found the acoustics in their bathroom is exceptionally good.

Mark
                                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-30-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X