Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: roof vent or pull toilet

[quote=HebertDrainCare;219997]

The first eight years of my plumbing career was strictly drain cleaning and I never ran into a situation where a clean out install was absolutely necessary.

I just did a 6" clog that was 20ft filled no cleanout, and the only toilet they had was a offset flange. Roof was real steep and covered in thick wet slippery moss. I made them let us install a clean out or we where gone.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

[QUOTE=ToUtahNow;219992]Jaysen and Jared both fly helicopters and they are both afraid of heights.

Tell them I was a crew chief on a ch-34j usmc I use to sit in the hatch with My feet hanging out all the time ,no gunners belt on. Pilots above never could see Me.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My way embodies the true ritual of professionalism

I like giving my customers 110% because my charges warrant that expertise. I want them to feel like it did take more than a plunger to earn my wages in their home. Spending 2 minutes with a plunger when they've probably worked that plunger for hours makes them feel ignorant, and that's not how I'm going to earn a dollar in this profession.

My job is to come loaded with everything they don't have, get it open and make sure it doesn't happen again, advice and recommend habits so it's the last time I'm there.

Popping a soft matter clog in a toilet doesn't mean that root ball 7' from the closet flange, or that root growing toward that flange disappears all a sudden because the plunger made light work of the machine.

I have no problem with anyone conversing with me on the internet or in person, but don't ever mislead the viewing public on information trading in this profession of plumbing I've come to love. You telling me wax rings are not blowing out is telling me I've never been called to a home for a "leaking toilet at the base" and then I ask the key questions as "when was the last time it was plunged" to gather that crucial next statement I'm going to tell them, which is they blew the ring out plunging the toilet.

I know damn right well you're aggressive with the plunger, because you wouldn't defend it so well on the internet. Aggressive is what the customer is doing and IT DIDN'T WORK, that's why they're calling a plumber to fix the leak under the toilet.

I understand plumbing very well from a service perspective, have a long ways to go as well.

The world is not that different from CA to KY, and in Toolaholic's world it's working just fine and he's doing it right. Him being a general contractor shows he gives a damn more than some of the plumbers in this country and knows there's a reason they made cleanouts.

So you defend plunging and no cleanouts, I'll defend proper access to drains for mechanical cleaning and installing cleanouts for proper access so that these aging structures have the industry standard that our prior brotheren failed to do.

I sure in the hell am not going to repeat mistakes that makes me no better than the one who did the deed. I value my profession far more than that, and I wish more people like toolaholic existed.

It's the forward thinking this world and this profession needs to protect the very property owners that employ us. I get sick and f**king tired of fixing other plumbers mistakes, and I'm sure Mark gets sick and tired of seeing the mistakes costing his clients and innocent homeowners get blungeoned by someone making a fast buck.

It all starts by how you present yourself and what means more to you.
        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-30-2009, 01:27 AM.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          I just said it to get Rick going. I am on the phone with my phone-a-friend. He likes to make me laugh until I almost tinkle in my pants If I don't run to the bathroom then it hasn't been a good night. Rick is in the other room going back and forth between this sight and a couple of others.
          WTH? You are relieved of duties as spelling and grammar warlord effective immediately. In addition, blue doesn't contrast black very well. Tell Rick to go back to red.

Back to the subject, here's another pov that hasn't been brought up: physical limitations. Not to put anyone down, but to be honest, some people need to take better care of themselves because some of the things we think are easy, they find extremely hard. Sometimes when you're in better shape, different avenues of approach are opened that you wouldn't consider that you wouldn't previously consider. Friends don't say what you want to hear but what you need to hear.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Back to the subject, here's another pov that hasn't been brought up: physical limitations. Not to put anyone down, but to be honest, some people need to take better care of themselves because some of the things we think are easy, they find extremely hard. Sometimes when you're in better shape, different avenues of approach are opened that you wouldn't consider that you wouldn't previously consider. Friends don't say what you want to hear but what you need to hear.

Are you saying that using a plunger is harder than using a drain cleaning machine, or closet auger, small drum machine to clear kitchen sink drains,

and that refusing to do the daunting task of installing a cleanout with two stationary pieces of pipe, is less physically demanding than climbing a roof?

Educate me on what you're trying to say.

Maybe I should start using a plunger and not install cleanouts, because I work injured/have physical limitations?

I'd rather suffer and endure the physical pain, the heavy lifting and vigorous cranking of a closet auger, handling of my 81 rodding drains like I've been doing for years.

Remember that my humble beginnings started with sectionals, which have brought on the "awareness" of how destructive that equipment is on repetitious handling. I type with numb hands for good reason.

Comment

Respectfully Steve, I've said all I feel I needed to and no comment was said with any underlying ill intentions.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

steve, you're good with words, but thinking that using an auger on a soft paper stoppage when the stoppage is in the toilet is more beneficial than using the proper technique is ridiculous.

i know for a fact that i've been plumbing longer than you, have installed more toilets than 10 of you put together and have cleared more drains than you have ever used.

now that we have it straight that i know something about toilets and plumbing, i would love to debate you on your fear of a plunger thinking it's a bad thing and the customer is getting short changed.

there has not been 1 customer of mine ever disappointed in my use of a plunger. especially when i show them the proper plunger to buy and the proper technique to use. i also tell them where to purchase the best plunger and have even thought of buying them with my name on them as a gift. but ordering them by the 100 @ $19 each as a gift is not my form of advertising. so instead i tell them where they can get them for $9.00 locally and they do.

a paper stoppage in a toilet doesn't affect the wax ring. the stoppage is in the toilet. why do you think they sell 3' augers? a 6' auger puts you approx 3' past the horn.

very few of my customers are on slabs. and yes i've had root stoppages affect raised floor toilets. amazing how a root will follow a pipe up and into the flange over the wax ring. but that is as unique as you'll ever find on a raised floor toilet. either way that toilet has to be removed.

so unless the kids flushed g.i. joe or barbi down the toilet and it's wedged in the horn, a plunger clears 90-95% of all my toilet stoppages.

the customer is thrilled to get a lesson in plunge-ring and advise on purchasing the proper tool that every homeowner should own.

the ones that own an auger have usually destroyed their own toilet with scratches that don't come off.

i know that i'm not the only one that uses a plunger on toilets. this has been debated more than once here.

tool is a friend, but he too doesn't own a sectional. so for him to snake from a roof with a 250# general machine would be unsafe and not recommended.

there are some people that should never go on a ladder or on a roof. i'm not one of them. but i do know my limits on the style of or pitch of the roof.

i've only been on my tile roof a couple of times. and i've never ever needed to plunge my pressure assist toilets.

i too install cleanouts. well over a dozen a year. but waiting to install a cleanout when they have no toilet to use is not an option. neither is pulling a toilet full of waste with standing water in the tub and shower.
                i've owned cameras longer than most anyone including ridgid. i've located more cleanouts than you've ever installed. but forcing someone to install a c/o at a time of crisis is not an option when i have more than 1 way to clear a stoppage.

there's a reason why other companies recommend me when they fail or can't do the job. i seldom fail and i know when to say no.

when you have the ability and tools to give options, you offer them. when you have only 1 tool and no desire to offer them an option, they take that.

you can write all day about plungers.

i've proved what i do with a plunger. the homeowner can also do. i have no problem showing them the tricks of the trade. guess what, they still call me if they fail.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I think if the customers see me trying to snake a drain from a roof i will have a good chance at selling a cleanout install. Hopefully this k-60 will be a money maker! If the customers sees you pulling a toilet they seem to think that is normal, but if your on the roof now thats time for a c/o

Comment

Here in NY it is code to have a c/o. Having one does not mean that you will use it or that you will not have a big mess when you are done. I never go to the roof, just pull the john and snake it from there. Try pulling a c/o on a 30 family apt house yea right, not without getting a plumbers shower.Ever try to get a 3" plug back in a c/o with 1 1/2 stories of **** behind it good luck. Don't pull the basement john either. Go to the first floor apartment and pull the john and snake it from there. General Speedrooter drum machine, 3/4" X 100' inercore cable, flexible trap leader and 3" saw cutter. We have a lot of 30 to 50 year old 2,3 and 4 story garden apartments, now converted to condos. All sewers is in the basement slab. Sometimes there are accessible c/o's. I would never try to open one having multiple units backed up. I have ran the camera down some of these lines just to see for myself what I am dealing with,but the HOA does not want to pay for the camera or to have it repaired. Calls always come in on the weekends or after hours. Keep cleaning them and keep getting paid. These places are full of back-pitched lines, basement floors that have settled 8" in some spots, just imagine what the plumbing under there looks like.
                    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      WTH? You are relieved of duties as spelling and grammar warlord effective immediately. In addition, blue doesn't contrast black very well. Tell Rick to go back to red.

I have trouble spelling correctly under pressure. Do you know how hard it is to post when someone is in your ear going "Hurry, hurry, hurry! What is taking you so long?" I didn't proof read my own post!
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Don't care you what can't do, tell me what you can do(is this right JC).
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just said it to get Rick going. I am on the phone with my phone-a-friend. He likes to make me laugh until I almost tinkle in my pants If I don't run to the bathroom then it hasn't been a good night. Rick is in the other room going back and forth between this sight and a couple of others.
                          I have trouble spelling correctly under pressure. Do you know how hard it is to post when someone is in your ear going "Hurry, hurry, hurry! What is taking you so long?" I didn't proof read my own post!
                          Now it makes perfect sense.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't buy excuses rick,

There's a reason why I'm constantly pulling things back on the bulb of my closet auger and you're pushing these items down the line with a plunger.

You can spend 15 pages justifying it, but there's a reason I own a closet auger and Ridgid sells them.

Until you've cabled a line you don't know what's in it to even make a partial assumption what the cause was, and to always believe what comes out the customer's mouth is sometimes as credible of what comes out their arse.

If I start plunging toilets and sinks for my customers rick,

They are going to get pissed off at me because for years I've been charging them to mechanically clean those drains, and not pop clogs and let them see my tail lights.

I don't care if you own dodger stadium, have plumbed 79 years and have two warehouses full of tools,

it is a damn disservice to customers to not effectively clear a drain with the tools that were designed to offer the best remedy to the situation.

I'd like to see Ridgid make a statement on behalf of their Closet Augers to see if they feel the plunger is the superior tool of the trade. Pffffffft!!!!

Off to work; I have a customer with a toilet leaking at the base after she plunged it.

But according to rick, this never happens, wax rings never leak.

Comment

I have started installing toilets on roof vents so I never have to choose.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                                I have started installing toilets on roof vents so I never have to choose.

Hell just plunger the roof vent, that way everything gets clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X