X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wax Rings on Toilets never Leak, Ever

We use a wax ring with the horn for 3'' closet flanges and a wax wing without the horn for 4'' flanges , we set our bolts to the flange with a brass washer and nut , then we run a bead of plumbers puddy around the wax ring , then a bead on to of the wax ring , they might be small beads depending on the toilet and height of the flange , I was told that the puddy will give a little , we have been doing this for years , seems to work well

Comment

this could be dangerous, but you got me to thinking. google "no wax flexible toilet seal". have fun. breid

Comment

I don't think I explaned myself. Our system for mounting and sealing toilets to plumbing is terrible. The toilet trap should be connected to the waste pipe by an elastomeric coupling "Fernco". The toilet should be mounted to the floor not the cheap flimsy plastic toilet flange. It would take all new engenering. However this is the place I see the most human waste getting into the house besides the floor drain from a back up but new construction gets the backwater valve to end this trouble. I guess I see more excriment getting into houses from a defective lift pump. I see more damage to houses from leaks around the toilet flange. We need a change It worked O.K. for all these years now we should go with something that works great.

Comment

big jim. only once and that was a racing motor shop. " peach" weigh in at 500lbs give or take. they weighed him at the local feed mill (i'm a hick). he would squirm to get off the stool. the whole stool just rotated under him. i "think 4 bolts would have held him. he ripped the top out of the flange. they fabricated stuff for cars, so i replaced flange. i had them weld a rectangular piece of 2" stainless steel angle. then i bolted that to floor. peach was good to go. saysflushable . i have to agree, there has to be a better way. i will say this though they are good for business. breid

Comment

When I started out with my dad when I was 6 years old, most rings were made of wood with tar, and some newer ones we pulled in town were soft lead with tar or putty, My dad would replace them with the new wax ring but some of the customers didn't like them and wanted us to cut a new wooden one and tar it back in, They couldn't figure out how that wax was going to hold the pipe up or support the toilet.

Comment

putty hardens over time. if the the toilet should rock or become loose then a putty ring could fail. Wax repels water, even if there is only 1\32 of an inch of wax between the flange and the base of the toilet, water would not seep out. most toilets leak because of the t-bolts are failing or the flange is broken.

Comment

I've only ever seen one of those waxless rubber doughnuts, and replaced it with wax coz it was leaking.

Anyone else been to England? Most toilets I saw there have a wall discharge with a fernco-like rubber boot. It looked like a nice system to me; easy to pull and re-set, easy to verify no-leaky once set, at a nice height for the snake, and elimiates one bend when snaking from a toilet.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more on the wax ring issue. I know the "it aint broke, don't need to fix it" angle and the fact that if installed properly a wax ring will work for years.. But in the year 2009, with all the technological advancement and improvement, we still use wax rings to make a watertight seal on something so important? Granted, they aren't expensive, but they are messy and good for one seal. That's it! One shot, one good squish, then don't move it and it'll be fine. Pathetic! Did a service call a while back and found one of those fluidmaster units with the red seal had been used. The w/c was leaking, when I pulled it up, that red rubber seal that the horn presses against had hardened and was no longer pliable. That knocked that product off the list for me. I've heard about the Fernco wax-free seal, but haven't found them carried in any of the local supply houses. They will be happy to order them, but I haven't talked to anyone with personal experience with them. Without first hand use or knowledge, I'm weary to order them. That said, there has to be a better way!

Comment

Yea I got sick of no supply houses having the Fernco so I ordered some online. I have only installed one so I have no time in to give a report yet.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I really like the ferncos, but only on brand new toilets. Any old wax won't let them stick to the china. They also work great if some chimp doesn't know how to use the abs barrel that comes with closet carriers and installs a 4" pvc male adapter with pvc pipe.

Comment

Working...
                      X