X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax Rings on Toilets never Leak, Ever

There, I said it, it's on the internet so it must be true.

Every time a customer plunges a toilet and the wax ring blows, it's a lie. It never happened, it's a monkey pissing through the window that has the base looking all smelly and dirty water like.

I've never seen a wax ring ever fail. This must be true.

Has to be the plumber who installed it wrong, has to be. Couldn't of been anything else I swear.

Don't come on this thread saying wax rings leak, because it doesn't exist. Never heard of it, it just can't be.

I'm selling wax rings here real cheap, guarantee they don't leak, cheap cheap. Stick dynamite in the drain and do anything you want, my wax rings aren't going to leak.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Wax Rings on Toilets never Leak, Ever

You forgot to mention they are bulletproof too. It's standard equipment in the Presidential Limo.

Comment

the only time i've ever seen a wax ring leak is if somebody pours warm/hot water down the WC.

i know 'cause i did that as an apprentice. i was trying to thaw a frozen WC fixure drain.

i wonder if people think they can unplug a WC like that?

Vince

Comment

I so dislike wax gaskets and the way we connect toilets to plumbing. Lets get in the 21st century. If I made any other plumbing connection with a wax gasket I would be called a hack and well deserved.

Comment

Fluid master has the waxless ring and I heard Fernco had one but I have tried neither so I have no report. I have asked for these at the supply store but nobody stocks it so I thought that may be an indication of how they worked. I might breakdown and internet buy one to see.
          Hey Dunbar what is the oh lookie thing and how long has it been on your signature?
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

A couple weeks ago I replaced a toilet installed in the early 70's The flange was shot. Gone completely. They had used a wax ring.

A couple days later I replaced a 1956 toilet (blue) I was afraid the flange would be gone after doing the first one. Well they had used plumbers putty to set the toilet (which was a pain to get off) but the flange was still in great shape better than some ten year old flanges I have seen.

I wondered why they switched... why not make pre formed rings of plumbers putty.
            just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              Fluid master has the waxless ring and I heard Fernco had one but I have tried neither so I have no report. I have asked for these at the supply store but nobody stocks it so I thought that may be an indication of how they worked. I might breakdown and internet buy one to see.
              Hey Dunbar what is the oh lookie thing and how long has it been on your signature?
              I believe that is a "Helpful Award" he recently awarded himself.

Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i can remember "seal's" made from mortar (they worked great until the drain stopped working). or the great big rubber doughnuts (they worked great until the drain stopped working). notice a pattern here? i tried a waxless one whatever they call it dont remember brand, but it had a rubber seal on top no adhesive. i put very thin layer of laco slic-tite on top of seal. set stool bolted it down. then pulled stool. not good didn't seal all the way around. rough in has to be spot to stool or back to wax ring.there is no margin of error. this was on my house, built when i was two years old. so it ain't my fault. i'm a 2 wax ring boy. something else those wax rings with the plastic inserts. well i have seen them where there was almost no wax on the bottom side. nothing to bed and seal with. some of my customers are big eaters if you get my drift. they plug the puny little hole in the plastic inserts. they are smaller than a 1.6 outlet. it's not good for the customer. i will check out new ones they look promising. if i remember right the reason that we don't use putty or grout is that it doesn't seal the sewer gasses out. correct me if i'm wrong. breid

Comment

I use a regular wax ring surrounded by thin wall of plumbers putty with new bolts. Caulk or silicon around base of bowl in some cases. I don't use no-seep wax rings.

Seems to me that wax rings leak mostly because of

1. loose bolts which allows commode to shift breaking wax seal.
                  2. broken flange, one or both bolts have nothing to hold onto allowing commode to shift breaking wax seal.
                  3. rocking commode due to uneven floor or flange too high allowing commode to shift causing wax seal to break.
                  4. flange too low and wax ring does not reach or barely reaches commode.

But it usually won't show signs of leaking until the sewer overflows or commode shifts away from commode bend.

5. plunging commode while commode bend is full of water breaking wax seal which I've experienced, but usually one of the other four things on this list is already happening.

I've never blown a wax ring from plunging a fixture blockage, just when the blockage is in the pipe.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I believe that is a "Helpful Award" he recently awarded hinmself.

Mark
                    What was your excuse?
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I have to know, what did You have for supper? Were You bad?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        I have to know, what did You have for supper? Were You bad?
                        Me I had a tomato and mozzeralla sandwich
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          Me I had a tomato and mozzeralla sandwich
                          Roast safe way chicken ,potatos, broccoli ,2 chocolates. bought Mom a GPS FOR HER JEEP
                          TONIGHT My stock is Hi for a wee bit. I know Dunbar was BAAAD
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            What was your excuse?
                            Typical!

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                              I wondered why they switched... why not make pre formed rings of plumbers putty.
                              just a thought.
                              They made the switch when toilets were held down by 2 bolts instead of 4. In commercial ac, there's a product I call "butyl tape" don't know the real name but the supply house knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, this stuff resists heat, real sticky and is soft(like playdo), Why can't they make rings out of this stuff?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X