Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about K39

Hi,

I'm a hands on landlord who owns a handful of apartment units. I unclog drain (mostly sinks and bathtubs) for tenants. My forth cheap drain auger has broken last weekend and I'm looking to buy a new one. This time I think I should spend a little more money and buy a better model. I'm considering Ridgid K39. After reading the previous posts about this model, it seems like the 3 styles are rated as follow:

- slide action chuck --> junk
    - auto feed --> good
    - 3-jaw chuck --> best

I would like to have the auto feed and the 3-jaw chuck. However I don't want to buy two machines. Is it possible to interchange the head pieces (the auto feed and the 3-jaw chuck)? So I can buy one machine and one head piece. If that's not possible, I would go with the K25 (the hand spin with 3-jaw chuck) model. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Re: Questions about K39

the slide chuck is junk

the auto feed/ dual feed is great.

the 3 jaw chuck is a great problem solver. when all else fails the 3 jaw will get it done. it's great for cables that are stuck or when you're at your end of the rope/ cable.

personally i use the dual feed 95% of the time and the 3 jaw just that 5% when i have a miserable tight line.

buy the k-39auto feed and you could always use a cordless drill if your cable gets stuck. meaning you need to have all but the last couple feet already in the drain. the auto feed doesn't feed the last few feet.

eventually you'll have a collection of machines and will have the right tool for any and all jobs.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

personally i use the dual feed 95% of the time and the 3 jaw just that 5% when i have a miserable tight line.

rick.
      Hi Rick,

Thank you for your advice. You hit the nail right on the head! If the dual feed can do the work 95% of the time, I'll be happy to get it and forget the 3-jaw. I'll leave the 5% for the plumbers ^_^

Comment

Hi,

I just realize that there are two models for K-39 auto feed: K39AF and K39PF. Can someone tell me what's the different?

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by ppridgidforum View Post
          Hi,

I just realize that there are two models for K-39 auto feed: K39AF and K39PF. Can someone tell me what's the different?

Thank you,

the k-39af is the newer model that incorporates a dual feeder. this allows the machine to feed the cable in or out while still spinning in a clockwise direction.

makes for a fast in and out if needed to get the cable past a trap.

the older pf was a feeder that was a 1 way feeder. to pull back out you had to reverse the drill. not a bad design, just slower to work with.

you'll love the dual feeder of the af.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K-39AF/EN/index.htm

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i have a k-38. if i ever wear it out i will be getting a nice shiny new k-39af. a nice shiny new k-60 is first. that said my experience has been thats it's best to throw the bulb end cable away or sell on ebay as new. i have a 5/16" x 50' cable with 4 ends. i weigh 140 lbs and it ain't to heavy for me. just askin. think snow. breid

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the k-39af is the newer model that incorporates a dual feeder. this allows the machine to feed the cable in or out while still spinning in a clockwise direction.

makes for a fast in and out if needed to get the cable past a trap.

the older pf was a feeder that was a 1 way feeder. to pull back out you had to reverse the drill. not a bad design, just slower to work with.

you'll love the dual feeder of the af.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K-39AF/EN/index.htm

rick.
              Thank you Rick. You do know everything. If I didn't know that you are a professional plumber, I would have guessed that you're a Ridgid production manager because you seem to know everything about the products.

Comment

He knows way more about our full product line than I ever will. Our presidents still got him beat though

Originally posted by ppridgidforum View Post
                Thank you Rick. You do know everything. If I didn't know that you are a professional plumber, I would have guessed that you're a Ridgid production manager because you seem to know everything about the products.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  i have a k-38. if i ever wear it out i will be getting a nice shiny new k-39af. a nice shiny new k-60 is first. that said my experience has been thats it's best to throw the bulb end cable away or sell on ebay as new. i have a 5/16" x 50' cable with 4 ends. i weigh 140 lbs and it ain't to heavy for me. just askin. think snow. breid
                  Throw the bulb head away??? Is it really that bad? I thought the bulb head is the standard head for small residential jobs. I've heard that K-39 can have either drop-head or bulb head. Since I don't know what the drop-head is for, I guess I'll never need it. Actually, it would be nice to know what kind of jobs need a drop-head cable. Can yo educate me a bit here? Thanks.

Comment

Plumber Rick's name came up in a conversation at the Ridgid Booth at the pumper show and they swear he is not on the payroll but they thank god that he's here

Comment

the standard bulb head is good at navigating p traps. when it does wear out or break off, then i will put the 45 bend in the cable. but i keep the bulb as long as it will last.

the drop head cable end is the first thing to break off in a drain or trap.

i have drop head attachments. they're not fool proof, but they will work if you know how to control the end.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X