X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flipped blades in a main!

Happened to me *once* many years ago.Just happened to one of the crew 2 days ago.In 6" clay. Same with me.Never figured out how this happens.
    He was running double 6 blades,3/4 cable.
    Anyone else or are we special kids!

Re: Flipped blades in a main!

What do you mean by "Flipped blades" ?????
    Mine would brake off before they flipped.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I think the stars have to align just right. Doesnt seem like it should be possible.

Comment

Go to yank back blades and they are pointed at you.No getting in at the 4" reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
          Go to yank back blades and they are pointed at you.No getting in at the 4" reduction.
          than how did You retrieve them ,if they didn't enter the 4" reduction!
          Are they still in Mary hagerty's lateral
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Had to break up the slab in the basement floor and cut the pipe.
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: Funny! Mary Haggery!

Comment

My first year in drain cleaning in 1995 I went to an apartment complex to run a 4 inch clean out using a "whip cutter".

I don't know if this term translates so I'll explain. A whip cutter is a two to three foot piece of cable bent at the end so that it "whips" in the pipe to help go down "T's" and/or stir up loose blockages. At the chuck end of the cable there is a 2 - 3 inch blade between the cable and the chuck (connector) The blades follow the whip down "T's" when running the cable.

I pulled the cable back and with only about 15 feet left to pull out, it got stuck. Tried everything. It would not come back. Boss came out, no luck. It was not coming out.

Video Inspection.

Found that the cable had kinked by the connector, the whip cutter was now facing us (upstream), and had caught a commode bend on the way out.

We positioned the camera head two feet from the stuck cable. Then pushed in dead another cable with a blade up to the stuck cable and stabbed at it until the whip started coming out of the bend. We then pulled it out.

Apparently I ran too much cable and flipped in the manhole on the other side of the building without realizing it.

Of course all of this could have been avoided if my lazy @$$ would have walked to the other side of the building and tripped over the manhole.

Ever since I run blades first, whip second, jet third.

What I learned;

1. Explore. - Know or get an idea of where your cable is going before running.

2. Know when to whip it. - Whips can be really helpful or really harmful.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Have had a cable flip once it was a mother F-er of a line, had 2 other guys trying to clear it with a drum machine for about 3 hours, it was a large soft blockage behind bad root ball, cleared all the water out with jetter, then sent the camera down and found the huge root ball, ended up linning the line to get rid of all of the root problem, alot easier than replacing the pipe.

Comment

i gotta know. what type of instrument is that? thank you. breid

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post

The instrument that flipped was a drum machine with a 3 inch cutter on it in a 4" line, it just curled up and starts coming back towards you, more than likely it happened when they were using the auto feed. Is this the type instrument you were talking about?

Comment

pioneer1. ah no i'm sorry i thought about that later that i didn't phrase that properly. i am talking about jay mpls guitar looking instrument in his picture. sorry. breid

Comment

I can't count how many times over the years i have had 11/16" or 3/4" cables with blades double back on me but i was always able to get them free and back out of the sewer,

the worst thing is it kinks the sxxt out of the cable even when it's new
                        JERRYMAC
                        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          It's called a harp guitar. I think the one I *had* here was 42 strings.

Comment

Working...
                          X