X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When things [cables] go sideways

You all have an amazing amount of knowledge on drain cleaning. I often read of Your stuck cables . Sometimes with slab bust outs, others with a back Hoe. My feeling is, You Guys shouldn't eat the broken Equept. or extensive repairs that follow. I'm guessing it can, and does go both ways ,on different projects. Some customers are fair and understanding,others not! I hope to start a good discussion that might help one of You in the future. I know some of the best tradesman are light on the Buss. end. I'm one of them!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: When things [cables] go sideways

I have a pre authorization damage waiver on my invoice.

98% of stuck cables get stuck because there is something wrong with the pipe. This can be proven with the camera.

2% like here are operator error http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...15&postcount=7

I broke a commode once by running a cable from a kitchen sink clean out 30 feet away. I explained to the customer that we were both victims of the plumber that installed the plumbing 40 years ago. That if I were to go around breaking commodes all of the time I would go out of business doing free work. I asked them how they wanted to handle it. They said they'll buy the commode if I install it. Perfect.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I went to a pizza restaurant for a video with my then boss. The bottom of the pipe had rotted out and the camera head fell out the bottom of it wedging in. Tried using a cable to pop it out with no success

My boss had somebody bring us a jackhammer we broke up the parking lot and dug down three feet to push the camera head back up and out.

We caution taped the area off and left the rest to the plumber that hired us.

Luckily the camera was just verification for the repair anyway so it all worked out. My boss was not leaving or cutting that camera.

Lenny

Comment

Frustrated customers usually understand when I explain that the possibly broken pipe that caused my cable to get stuck also caused the blockage that they called me for in the first place.

"Possibly broken" until verified with the camera.
        Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 04-03-2009, 01:06 AM.

Lenny

Comment

The problem from a drain cleaner perspective is the average person thinks " If a drain is clogged then a snake will fix it" Fix is the wrong word it may clear the problem but doesn't fix the real problem and the drain cleaner always gets fixed with the end problem slash catastriphie.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

We have a damage waiver on our work order the customer must acknowledge and sign before we start work. The damage waiver states due to the nature of the work and the unforseen conditions (pipe conditions, lead traps, damaged pipes, etc) we are not responsible for damage. If any of our equipment is to become stuck, it is the owners responsibilty to retrieve and return our equipment. This is the short version.

Comment

The waivers make sense ! I think You just saved some plumbers with new drain cleaning Equept.! Thank You All
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Someone post a good waiver so the rest of us can use it please!!!!!!!
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Hold Harmless
                  (Company name) will make every reasonable effort to perform the scope of work described below. Due to the unique nature of the tasks and the unknown
                  pipe/field conditions completion of the work may not be possible.(Company name) will not be responsible for pipe damage caused by line clearing or snaking due to lead fittings,pipe damaged by drain cleaner or rotten pipe. Furthermore if any of (company name) equipment becomes lodged or stuck in the pipe for any reason, it will become the responsibility of the customer to repair such collapsed,broken or defective pipe and retrieve said equipment. Note (Company Name) will not be held responsible for backups or damage that may be associated with the cleaning process due to the conditions of the said lines.
                  Print name________________________Signature_____________ _________
                  This is our hold harmless/damage waiver it is just below the customer information on the top of our invoices so there is no chance they will miss it
                  and must be signed before we start work.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                    Hold Harmless
                    (Company name) will make every reasonable effort to perform the scope of work described below. Due to the unique nature of the tasks and the unknown
                    pipe/field conditions completion of the work may not be possible.(Company name) will not be responsible for pipe damage caused by line clearing or snaking due to lead fittings,pipe damaged by drain cleaner or rotten pipe. Furthermore if any of (company name) equipment becomes lodged or stuck in the pipe for any reason, it will become the responsibility of the customer to repair such collapsed,broken or defective pipe and retrieve said equipment. Note (Company Name) will not be held responsible for backups or damage that may be associated with the cleaning process due to the conditions of the said lines.
                    Print name________________________Signature_____________ _________
                    This is our hold harmless/damage waiver it is just below the customer information on the top of our invoices so there is no chance they will miss it
                    and must be signed before we start work.
                    This is awesome, Your kindness will save some good folks Thank You !

Comment

Do any of you with waviers still get very disgruntled customers if things take a turn for the worse? Just curious, because we don't have that wavier for our drain cleaning. We just snake the smaller drains.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                        Do any of you with waviers still get very disgruntled customers if things take a turn for the worse? Just curious, because we don't have that wavier for our drain cleaning. We just snake the smaller drains.
                        As long as you explain to the customers what is going on and why the issue is happening they are understanding. We will show the customer the problem while inspecting with the camera so they can see it and understand what we are talking about. The only time we get a doubtful customer is when a company is there before us and BS the customer and we have to prove our point. Seeing is believing.

Comment

Working...
                        X